GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ghost orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/27910-ghost-orchids.html)

Geir Harris Hedemark 21-05-2003 08:08 AM

Ghost orchids

I will be getting a flask of ghost orchids during summer. Lambs to the
slaughter, and all that.

Now, the culture sheet says warm, humid, not much light, and I guess
seedlings would want even less light. What exactly is "not much light"
in some measurable unit? 1000 lux? 5000?

Geir

Mick Fournier 21-05-2003 02:56 PM

Ghost orchids

Geir,

Ghost orchids will do nicely nestled in with your Phalaenopsis plants.
Maintaining high humidity in the summer months is important for this plant.

I have a Polyrrhiza lindeni plant just now beginning to produce 6 flowers.
I hope to photograph this beauty in July and then share the picture here on
RGO.

Here is some information you may find interesting.
click on:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...qanda.html#Q21
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f.../ghostpix.html
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...log.html#Ghost

Mick

Geir Harris Hedemark 21-05-2003 03:08 PM

Ghost orchids

"Mick Fournier" writes:
Ghost orchids will do nicely nestled in with your Phalaenopsis plants.

Right, so I want something like 3000 lux or so for the seedlings,
increasing to 5000 lux or so for the mature plants?

Maintaining high humidity in the summer months is important for this plant.

I think I will rig up something in the bathroom, then. Highest
humidity I can find short of buying a wardian case.

Thanks for the help.

Geir

Geir Harris Hedemark 21-05-2003 03:08 PM

Ghost orchids

"Mick Fournier" writes:
Ghost orchids will do nicely nestled in with your Phalaenopsis plants.

Right, so I want something like 3000 lux or so for the seedlings,
increasing to 5000 lux or so for the mature plants?

(Never had much luck with Phals, they always die on me more or less at
once, possibly because they are invariably half-dead in the shops
around here. Not much experience with phals, in other words)

Dave 21-05-2003 06:32 PM

Ghost orchids

Mick,
How old is the plant that is blooming? I still have 3 left from the flask I
purchased 18 months ago and they are growing. I have them under the bench
on a humidity tray, they seem to like that.

Mick Fournier 21-05-2003 08:44 PM

Ghost orchids

Dave,

The ghost orchid plant that is blooming now (ie in bud) is 4 years
out-of-flask. Last year it produced 3 flowers simultaneously.

Mick