Old 29-05-2003, 08:44 PM
bb

Default orchid house fans

Ok, the orchid house is just about done. Last roof panel finally went
up yesterday after being on back order for two weeks. Floors were
sealed and stained semi-transparent white. I had figured to get the
floors done in two to three hours last Sunday and ended up spending a
full ten hours on it. The thermometer on the wall was reading 98 most
of the day.

Anyway, I'm down to installing the screen on three walls. Today when
I stopped home for lunch the old wall thermom was reading 94. I think
my next priority is going to be installing fans for ventilation.
Anyone have suggestions?

I figured on going with a couple of outdoor ceiling fans, but another
orchid house owner said he gets much better results with floor fans.
What does everyone use, and what are the results?

Thanks for any help.

bb
Old 29-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

hi
How about computor fans. I know several people who use them. They are usualy
cheaper then most others and you can get them in pretty big sizes. And last
but not least they often use less electricity.
Peter

"bb" schreef in bericht

Old 30-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

I have been happy with the following for many years:

For 24-hour circulation, large (20"-24"), cheapo "Breeze Boxes" available at
any K-Mart, Mall-Wart, etc., suspended about two feet above the benches, and
set to create a constant circulation (facing one direction on one side, the
other direction on the other side). Usually less than $15 and last a couple
of years before they die in the wet environment. I don't even shield them
from the misters!

As far as ventilation is concerned, I have shutters that open when the
interior temp gets to about 70°. Both ends, protected with screen.

If the temp continues to climb, I have a giant, belt-driven exhaust fan that
kicks in. It is sized to exchange the contents of the GH twice pr minute
(i.e., for a 5000 cubic foot structure, a 10,000 cfm fan.)

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 30-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Diane Mancino

speaking of cheap fans- I like the new window fans that have the thermostat
so it kicks in at 60, 70 ,or 80. Narrow enough to have on a shelf

Old 30-05-2003, 04:56 PM
K Barrett

I continue to ditto Ray these days.

I just spent some bucks on 2 large (18") floor fans.

The idea is that the cooler moister air is at the floor, so move that in
Horizontal Air Flow (HAF) pattern across the floor where it hits the
opposite wall, turns and then moves across the ceiling to return to the fan
to be returned and recycled.

I've had this installed for all of one week in the greater Bay Area of
California where we've been having mixed weather patterns. Yesterday the Gov
threatened brownouts becasue it was so hot people had the gall to use their
air conditioners and today its cloudy and overcast and cold - go figure.

Anyway, my point was to be that even with these weather patterns the
thermometers in the GH never rose as high as they did when I had just one or
two 16" fans on poles set to 'oscillate' and a 54"ceiling fan.

The plants dry off, the moisture from the misting system seems to get spread
more evenly around the plants on teh wet side of the GH, and there seems to
be fewer puddle areas on the floor.

It sounds like an airport hanger in there now, and there is definitely a
breeze - (wind tunnel-like) that all my friends on OrchdSafari say should be
the way a GH should feel. It doesn't smell closed-in anymore.

I'm happy.

K Barrett

All due to HAF.

Old 30-05-2003, 06:32 PM
tbell

I'm in inland, northern California, and have the same high temperatures,
late Spring through early Fall. I grow in an 8 x 10 polycarbonate glazed GH,
and have had pretty good cooling with a fan installed high under the eaves
on one end, coordinated with a floor vent on the other end. I also use an
automatic floor misting system. Don't know what part of this would work in a
screen house. Bought the components from Charley's Greenhouse, which is on
the web.
Tom

Old 30-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Diane Mancino

real cheap Wendy, $35 ish, Wal-Mart, Kmart, got mine at Brooks super drug
store. Mine is a Holmes 1touch always is set and will go off if it gets
too warm in here. A fan below 60 degrees would be a draft on the orchids so
I set it above that.

Try Wal-Mart online

Old 31-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Wendy

Thanks ever so much Di, It's actually what my mentor is looking for, he has
a sort of dead space area in his g/h & wants some breeze for his paphs.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:20 PM
V_coerulea

I used box fans for years because they were cheap and easily replaced.
Suspending them from the ceiling or just above the plants or near the heater
was a pain, but they were cheap. In refitting my greenhouse last year with
twin wall polycarb, new exhaust fans, etc, I decided to throw in some HAF
fans. Attached to the ceiling and hanging down about 1' by a sturdy bracket,
the fans made a tremendous difference in circulation. I use 4 in a 2000sq'
greenhouse. The pitch of the blade and size of the motor make the
difference. They are excellent for circulating heat in winter and
dissipating it in summer. In our heat we have to have cooling pads and large
exhaust fans for the heat of the day, but at night or morning you can't beat
those HAF fans (except in price - they're not cheap!).

Old 02-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

HAF = Horizontal Air Fan, a product of American Coolaire Corporation.

Brochu http://www.coolair.com/PDF/910-19.pdf

Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Wendy

I would imagine you could get by with a misting system & an oscillating fan
for your set up. It sounds neat. I found a huge oscillating fan with a
misting system for $97 at Lowes but it takes up a lot of room
& has to be under shelter.
Cheers Wendy

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
bb

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 06:08:39 -0700, "Wendy" wrote:

I found a huge oscillating fan with a
misting system for $97 at Lowes but it takes up a lot of room
& has to be under shelter.
Cheers Wendy

They don't seem to have that system at my local Lowes, 'else I just
couldn't find it. I'll keep looking.

bb