Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default zygopethalum question

Hi
For several years now i have had a couple of Zygo hybrids. They are all
doing well but. Because of the very fast growth, I have to repot every year.
At the moment I'm using stone pots with a diam of 25 cm for each plant. I
have tried to divide a plant last year in to smaller plants but they all
died. I made sure that they all had a minimium of 4 bulb's and a nice number
of roots. So why did they buzz off???
I'll be posting a pic in the other newsgroep just to give an example of how
they look.
The other plants that I just repot each year never have a problem.
Please if anyone has an idea, or if its just me, tell me.
thanks for all the other info to my last questions
Peter

Old 06-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Here's how I was taught to divide zygos:
1) You can take single back bulbs and pot them up.
2) Pot them (and adult zygos) in clay pots (so the breathe) and use ProMix
HP which appears to be a peat / small perlite only mixture.
3) Keep them very dry until they start to grow and root out. The new
growths will easily rot off. Water them only when the mix has completely
dried and then try to keep the foliage dry.
4) Close to full sun, even the newly potted up bare pseudobulbs.
They are hard to keep the leaves clean - the key is to keep them dry or at
least dry by the time it cools off in the evening. They probably also like
lower humidity than other orchids.

I've several species as well as hybrids and some put out new growths tightly
packed but I have one species that is on the small side (bulbs are 1/2 - 3/4
inch in dia max) but "walks" putting 6+ inches between growths and it seems
like no matter where I put it in the pot, it sends out a growth to the
closest side of the pot. I know that there has been breeding for small
zygos that don't walk as much...

.be...