Old 06-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default Sad news, good news and questions all in one message

First the sad news.
* Today my first ever Bulbophyllum died. Leaving me only one which doesn't
seem to want to grow
* Secondly I am about to become an uncle. That's the good news. I think!!!!
Most children seem afraid of mee because I so big. (hight 1,93m.)

Now to the questions:
*I bought 2 paph's this week: A paph. King Arthur and a paph grattrixianum.
I bought them for just ?17.
For some time now I have been making a file and looking for pictures of my
orchids to but in it until I can make my own pic's. Using books, asking
permision on the net, friends ...
But I can't find one of these 2 plants, so if anyone could help me please???
I'm not going to publisch anything, I just use the file to look up what the
flowers look like, pests they've had...

* Also I fell in love with an orchid last Christmas. A thelymitra variegata
208 and 199 from Australia. If there has ever been an orchid with a perfect
colour it must be a Thelymitra. If I could just live in Australia!!!!!
I found the pic's on the orchid mall. Now ever sinds I have contacted
several growers in Europe and one in Australia. But none of them has ever
had or seen this orchid. Please if anyone knows were I might be able to find
one without braking any laws, tell me, please, please, please.

To end this with a piece of advice to all the men out there. An orchid is
like a great woman. Beauty on the outside and the inside, and when you find
the perfect one, you can never let them go.

Peter

Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
K Barrett

The secret to bulbophyllums is to remember that they have roots with very
little velamen on them. Velamen traps and holds the day's moisture for the
plant to use at a later time. Hence Bulbophyllums need/want more of a daily
introduction to water than something like a Cattleya would. Cattleyas - for
example - can take some drying out because the velamen traps and holds
moisture, like a sponge. Think of it this way. If velamen was an anatomical
feature equivalent to breasts, Bulbophyllums would be Twiggy and Cattleyas
would be Jane Mansfield (or insert the name of whatever heroin-chic model
currently in vogue and Anna-Nicole Smith). So you can visualize how
deficient in velamen poor Bulbophyllums are. You gotta keep most of these
babies evenly moist, but still with air to the roots. A difficult balancing
act indeed. If your remaining Bulbophyllum doesn't want to grow for you try
a bit more water, try to make sure it stays above 60F at night and try a
*bit* more light (as for Cattleyas).

K Barrett

.be...

Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 AM
sneff

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

K Barrett,

I found your "anatomical feature equivalent to breasts" analogy just
absolutely fascinating, and at first - it made perfect sense to me. Things
started to fall apart for me when you compared Cattleyas to Jane Mansfield,
and Bulbophyllums to Twiggy. You see, I've always salivated over Jane's
fulsome, milk-fed figure - but I don't care for Cattleyas. On the other
hand - Bulbophyllum's startling blooms have always enticed me just as much
as Twiggy's threadbare frame left me cold. I feel all topsy-turvy, and even
more confused than before.

Perhaps if I get that old Jane Mansfield super-8 reel out of the cupboard it
will make things a tiny bit clearer.

END tongue in cheek

Matthew.

Old 07-06-2003, 05:32 PM
K Barrett

"sneff" wrote in message

"K Barrett" wrote in message
[...]

Or you could watch her daughter on the US TV show 'Law and Order: Special
Victims Unit'. The show's producers usually show her wearing clingy T-shirt
type blouses under her jacket. I'd say she's somewhere between a Cattleya
and a Bulbophyllum. [*G*]

K Barrett

Old 07-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Dewitt

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 16:27:42 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Or you could watch her daughter on the US TV show 'Law and Order: Special
Victims Unit'. The show's producers usually show her wearing clingy T-shirt
type blouses under her jacket. I'd say she's somewhere between a Cattleya
and a Bulbophyllum. [*G*]

K Barrett

Hmmm. . . wonder if velamen implants would help bulbos. . .

deg

Old 07-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Wendy

wrote:

Or you could watch her daughter on the US TV show 'Law and Order: Special
Victims Unit'. The show's producers usually show her wearing clingy

T-shirt
type blouses under her jacket. I'd say she's somewhere between a Cattleya
and a Bulbophyllum. [*G*]

K Barrett

Hmmm. . . wonder if velamen implants would help bulbos. . .

deg

(((LOL))) Such a sense of humour, Cheers Wendy

Old 07-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

I love it.......Kathy, you're a gem. Bulbos are to boobs as Catts are to
???

LOL

Diana

"Wendy" wrote in message
newsNqEa.63467$MJ5.46011@fed1read03...

Old 08-06-2003, 05:08 PM
K Barrett

"Dewitt" wrote in message

Hmmm. . . wonder if velamen implants would help bulbos. . .

deg

Now *there's* a reason for gene splicing!! No more of these attempts to make
blue Phals!! Give us meaty Bulbos!!

K Barrett

Old 08-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

It has been a stimulating conversation so far. But what about the other
quetions? Are they also going to be compared with the female beauty or lack
off natural beauty.
Sencondly, Wendy what does "Lol" Mean. I have seen you use it a couple of
times and I'm curious.
Peter

Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Diana Kulaga

Peter,

LOL means 'laughing out loud' in netspeak.

Diana

Old 09-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I had to giggle at this analogy... thinking about how incredibly complex the
anatomy you're talking about REALLY is. As a breastfeeding consultant, and
wife to an orchidist on this group (Jerry) I would like to point out that
big breasts, in a non-nursing woman (or any other lactating female) are a
consequence of the quantity and proportion of FAT in the breast. Or of
silicone, in the case of my sister in law. The fact that Anna-Nicole has
huge boobs doesn't mean that she has greater milk (or water) storage
capacity than a flat-chested woman. The question is whether A-N or Twiggy
get pregnant, how well does their body build up the glands that produce and
transport milk (the human parallel to velamen??) Cheers! Betsy

Old 09-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Finally! A subject I can really get into!

My Mom told me I stopped nursing at two weeks, which probably explains my
obsession and desire to make up for lost time!

Besides, it's the pseudobulbs that are the primary water-storage vehicles in
sympodial plants, so I'd say a more accurate, if less humorous - way to
explain the velamen thickness variation is related to the whole structure of
the plant, and the conditions they might naturally grow in. I like to think
of velamen as a means of moisture "capture and short-term storage," while
bulbs are for longer-term storage.

The bulbophyllum, having pseudobulbs, doesn't need to grab as much moisture
every time it's wetted, as it already has some stored. The vanda, on the
other hand, doesn't have pseudobulbs, so needs a better way to grab what it
can.

Sounds like and interesting experiment - grow bulbos in a lower-moisture
environment and see if the velamen gets thicker.
--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 09-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Wendy

Hello again Peter, I would like to get back to your questions.
For picture research, try using Google & click on images but you must have
the correct spelling.
Paphiopedilum KingArthur
http://hjem.get2net.dk/arne_larsen1/...r%2072-18w.jpg
Paphiopedilum gratrixianum
There are lots of photos.
Does your Bulbophyllum have another name?
You have Akerne-orchids in Belgium you could probably get culture info from
them.
Also Botanical Gardens of Belgium on the net.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Wendy

Old 09-06-2003, 04:44 PM
K Barrett

Trust me, I've done this experiment several times already and have
reproduced my results each time, the plants just die! No increase in velamen
at all!

K Barrett

Old 09-06-2003, 04:44 PM
K Barrett

AAck!! silicon implants for bulbos.... the mind boggles! Next they'll be
wanting collagen injections so their little lips will waver better in the
breeze!

K Barrett