Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Al

Default What's going on with Lindleyana?

Thinking to finally subscribe to Lindleyana I went to the AOS website to
discover almost all mention of it is gone from there. I did a web search
and found the following blurb which I pasted below. Does anybody have any
furthur info on this journal?

"Bad news: with much regret we must announce that the American Orchid
Society ceased its publication of Lindleyana in December 2002 with volume
17. Despite several promotions and publicity to encourage circulation
figures that would pay for printing and distribution of this respected
quarterly, the budget shortfall in today's lacklustre economy forced the AOS
to take this unfortunate decision.

"Good news: we have just learned that a leading scientific institution is
considering adopting the journal and continuing publication. More
information will be available here when and if the agreement between all
concerned parties is formalized. In the meantime, please continue to submit
papers for Lindleyana to its distinguished editor, Dr. Mark Chase, at the
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew."

Old 10-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Rob Halgren

Al wrote:

Thinking to finally subscribe to Lindleyana I went to the AOS website to
discover almost all mention of it is gone from there. I did a web search
and found the following blurb which I pasted below. Does anybody have any
furthur info on this journal?

Same thing here. I was going to subscribe about 6 months ago and
they said, after a considerable delay, that it was not going to be
published anymore. I wonder how many other of the subscribers that they
said they couldn't get were turned away. Goes well with the stated
mission of orchid research that the AOS purports to have. They should
publish Lindleyana even if they are losing money. Fine if they can find
somebody else to publish it for them, but it is a critical part of the
scientific mission.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Michael Gerzog

"Al" wrote in message ...

Thinking to finally subscribe to Lindleyana I went to the AOS website to
discover almost all mention of it is gone from there. I did a web search
and found the following blurb which I pasted below. Does anybody have any
furthur info on this journal?

Allegedly, according to Andy Easton posting a couple of months ago on
the AOS forum, they had ceased "regular" publication but were going to
continue to publish occasional issues -- exactly what was going to
constitute an "occasion" was left unexplained. Guess the "occasion"
is now "when hell freezes over."rolling eyes

Did you notice they also stopped publishing the lists of new orchid
hybrids with every other "Orchids" issue?

"The economy" my foot.... and furthermore, if all of these various
activities are supposed to be entirely self-supporting, one wonders
what the millions (and millions) in endowments are for. But I
digress.

Michael
Old 10-06-2003, 09:56 PM
K Barrett

"Michael Gerzog" wrote in message
om...
"Al" wrote in message

[...]

HA! Too true!

They glossed right over not printing the new hybrids list. 'Get it on the
Web', like everyone is connected on line....

K Barrett

Old 11-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Personally, I don't mind that they don't print the list of new hybrids and
mail them out. I would glace at them but never saved or refered to them.
If it means I get a few more pages of articles then I'd rather give up the
list.

The upgrade in the Orchids magazine is an improvement.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Michael Gerzog

(Michael Gerzog) wrote in message . com...

But I digress.

Or perhaps I should have said "But I blaspheme."gg

MG