GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seed pod question. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/31651-seed-pod-question.html)

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 12-06-2003 10:56 PM

Seed pod question.

Hi again,
At the moment I have a Brassia caudata and a odontocidium Kolibri with
flowers. I would like to cross those two using the odontocidium as the
motherplant. Does anyone know if it can be done. I know that brassia and
oncidium is possible and brassia with odontoglossum is also possible.
Has anyone ever seen this cross?

And than a nother question.
When a plant has spots(black, brown), perhaps a virus. Will the pollen of
that plant then carry the virus to a nother plant. Can I polinate a nother
healthy plant without contaminating it? (oncidium(has spots) and a brassia)

The plant with the spots is strong and grows well. It flowers several times
a year, always from the new growth. It is strong enough to carry a seedpod,
but won't the seed carry on the illness, virus or whatever it is. The spots
are getting fewer in number by every new growth, but they are still there.

Peter

Ray @ First Rays Orchids 12-06-2003 11:56 PM

Seed pod question.

Why not? The genus of the cross will be McLellanara.

Unfortunately, however, there's no such plant as Odontocidium Kolibri.
There's a Wilsonara Kolibri....

The spots are more likely a fungal or bacterial infection, so don't worry
about it.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

.be...

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 13-06-2003 02:44 PM

Seed pod question.

Hi Ray,
I found a pic of the plant I mean on, once. I'll try to find it again
and post it in the other newsgroep.
Peter

"Ray @ First Rays Orchids" schreef in bericht

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 13-06-2003 05:44 PM

Seed pod question.

Could anyone give me some tips on making seedpods. I'm member in a small
groep of people who grow orchids from seed. They have already given me a lot
of info, but I can always use more. I have tried making seedpods on a lot of
different orchids. But for some reason they fall of after a wile, before
maturing. I got a list of possible crosses from a friend. He also gave me
some interesting sites.
My last failiors were a phal pallens with a phal. schilleriana (jan 9 till
may 20. emty), and 2 phal. mariae, one with a phal pallens and one with a
phal. schilleriana. (fell off after 2 weeks)

I'm not going to give up but I am not a very patient person.
Peter

Larry Dighera 13-06-2003 06:44 PM

Seed pod question.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:43:00 +0200, "Boystrup Pb, ann,..."
wrote:

Could anyone give me some tips on making seedpods. I'm member in a small
groep of people who grow orchids from seed. They have already given me a lot
of info, but I can always use more. I have tried making seedpods on a lot of
different orchids. But for some reason they fall of after a wile, before
maturing. I got a list of possible crosses from a friend. He also gave me
some interesting sites.
My last failiors were a phal pallens with a phal. schilleriana (jan 9 till
may 20. emty), and 2 phal. mariae, one with a phal pallens and one with a
phal. schilleriana. (fell off after 2 weeks)

I'm not going to give up but I am not a very patient person.
Peter

I have found that under irrigation can cause capsules to abort.