Old 13-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Default Those darn Paphs that run!

I have a few smaller paphs that grow by underground stolens. Today they fit
in the 4 inch pot but the next spurt will probably grow out of this size
pot.

I've seen Al's method of growing them in shallow trays to form a colony.
This looks great but takes lots of bench space.

What other alternatives do other growers do?

Do you cut and divide them?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 13-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Rob Halgren

Gene Schurg wrote:

I have a few smaller paphs that grow by underground stolens. Today they fit
in the 4 inch pot but the next spurt will probably grow out of this size
pot.

I've seen Al's method of growing them in shallow trays to form a colony.
This looks great but takes lots of bench space.

What other alternatives do other growers do?

Hanging baskets seem to work for armeniacum, which is the worst
offender in my opinion. When those runners hit air they tend to leaf out
at that point. I hate it when they come out the bottom of the pot...
I've seen some nice specimens grown in 4-6" round balls. A little sheet
moss on the outside, and something that won't break down quickly on the
inside (coconut, sponge rock?). I tend to use wire loops to staple down
offending phrag growths, sometimes i just loop them back into the pot
and tack them down. Besseae is the big pain there.

Sometimes I just lop off the offending growths (or more usually, the
older growths). Usually though I just bend those darn runners back into
the main body of the pot. Sometimes they break That is fine. They
will grow roots or die trying.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit