Old 15-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Nina Baltes

Default Phrag. besseae flavum hybrid

Hello,

I couldn't resist this pretty little Phrag at the Roellke orchid
nursery open house yesterday:

http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/galle...es/besseaeflav
um1.jpg

http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/galle...es/besseaeflav
um1.jpg

Sadly, there was no tag on it, and the vendor (Franz Glanz of
Woessner orchids) told me it's a Hanne Popow- but I didn't have the
plant with me at the time I got to talk to him, so I'm not sure if
he confused something. I think the petals may be too long for a
Hanne Popow.

Anybody have an idea? The flower is about as large as a Hanne
Popow, except for said petals .

Nina
--
C'est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot.
Louis Pasteur
Old 15-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 17:53:00 +0200, Nina Baltes
wrote:

Hello,

I couldn't resist this pretty little Phrag at the Roellke orchid
nursery open house yesterday:

http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/galle...es/besseaeflav
um1.jpg

http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/galle...es/besseaeflav
um1.jpg

Sadly, there was no tag on it, and the vendor (Franz Glanz of
Woessner orchids) told me it's a Hanne Popow- but I didn't have the
plant with me at the time I got to talk to him, so I'm not sure if
he confused something. I think the petals may be too long for a
Hanne Popow.

I agree with you. You might try to contact him with the photo and
see if he still claims it is Hanne Popow. Why do you label the
photo as besseae flavum?

It has a very lovely color set. I hope you can get your names
confirmed.

Anybody have an idea? The flower is about as large as a Hanne
Popow, except for said petals .

Nina

SuE
Old 15-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Nina Baltes

Susan Erickson wrote:

I agree with you. You might try to contact him with the photo and
see if he still claims it is Hanne Popow.

Yes, I'll probably do that.

Why do you label the
photo as besseae flavum?

Because I was too lazy to type out besseaeflavumhybrid.jpg and I
don't have an actual besseae flavum .

It has a very lovely color set. I hope you can get your names
confirmed.

Thanks!

Nina
Old 17-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Nina Baltes

Nina Baltes wrote:
Susan Erickson wrote:

I agree with you. You might try to contact him with the photo and
see if he still claims it is Hanne Popow.

Yes, I'll probably do that.

His answer is: Phrag. Hanne Popow (besseae var. flavum x schlimii)

Since he's apparently one of the most reputable slipper orchid breeders
anywhere, I guess I'll have to take his word for it .

Nina