Old 16-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default C. harrisoniana Question

Hi, all,

My C. harrisoniana 'Maj' x harrisoniana 'Boa Vista' has developed an oddity:
one of its latest p-bulbs has *3* leaves. This plant has typically had two
to a bulb. (And no, the third leaf is not a sheath. Trust me.)

Is this common?

Diana

Old 16-06-2003, 09:32 PM
K Barrett

Not uncommon. The extra leaves sometimes get in the way of the develpoing
spike, so Fordyce will pull them off. Isn't harrisoniana now loddigesii?? I
might be mistaken.

K Barrett

thlink.net...

Old 17-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Mick Fournier

Kathy,

I have looked at both C harrisoniana and C loddigesi very closely... I can't
see the difference that warrants the two different names.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

.net...

Old 17-06-2003, 09:08 PM
karels

its not normal but i had de problem all so by C.gutata ,C.forbessi
,C,intermedia the main problem was my fertileser it had hormons en mesting
after flowering period.

greeting
frits

"Diana Kulaga" schreef in bericht

Old 17-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

How do you all grow your harissoniana. I'm asking because I have one that
has a strange way of growing It doubles it's size in one year. Last year I
had 15 new pseudobulbs.

The problem is they don't get any higher than the others. Normaly that
wouldn't be a big issue, the thing is they're only +- 15 cm in lenght. I
divided it this year in four different peaces. When I look at the plants at
Akerne where I bought mine, they are all two to three times higher but don't
have as manny new pseudobulbs.
Has anyone got an idea? I'm lost. When I bought the plant it was the biggest
now it's like a dwarf. I could try to send a peace to one of you. But I know
nothing about the paperwork involved.

Respectfully
Peter

Old 17-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Mick,

So, is the plant harrisoniana or loddigesi? I confess to some ignorance
the reclassifications that occur, but I try to stay current.

Diana

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Kathy,

I have looked at both C harrisoniana and C loddigesi very closely... I

can't
see the difference that warrants the two different names.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

.net...

Old 18-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Mick Fournier

Diana,

If I had a so-called C harrisoniana I would I would write the ID tag out and
classify it as C loddigesi or C loddigesi variety harrisoniana... if I was
feeling a bit smug (or elitist) at the time.

Mick

Old 18-06-2003, 03:08 AM
K Barrett

Probably some BS about a previous name taking precedence over the one that
was generally used and accepted. Just to make our lives a living hell....

K Barrett

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Kathy,

I have looked at both C harrisoniana and C loddigesi very closely... I

can't
see the difference that warrants the two different names.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

.net...

Old 18-06-2003, 04:32 AM
K Barrett

I'd let it be. I was just looking at one of my Pali Polka Dots and it has 3
leaves too. I don't think its that unusual a situation. Frank isn't in the
same position that you and I are in being able to inspect our plants on a
daily basis. He has a *few* more than we do, LOL!! So he takes the easy
course, and get rid of the leaves that may not open fully or otherwise
bother him.

K Barrett

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
thlink.net...
So, is it a good idea to get rid of the extra leaf, or should I let it be?

Diana

.net...

Old 18-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Hy
I went to the library yesterday looking for info on the catt. harrisoniana.
I found a magazine made by a dutch orchid society. In it I found an article
on catt's. The C. harrisoniana and lodigesii are simular but from a
different origin. Tehs tupid thing about it. The tekst didn't say where they
both come from.
I will look in to it.
Peter

"Mick Fournier" schreef in bericht

Old 18-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks to all for the responses!

Diana

Cattleya harrisoniana tenman Orchid Photos 0 17-06-2009 03:21 AM
C.harrisoniana tenman Orchid Photos 1 30-07-2007 10:33 AM
Cattleya loddigesii v. Harrisoniana Ray B Orchid Photos 2 24-07-2007 02:39 AM
Bifrenaria harrisoniana Culture Diana Kulaga Orchids 7 27-10-2003 10:12 PM
Another harrisoniana - Cattleya Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 25-10-2003 10:42 PM