Old 20-06-2003, 04:22 PM
James Aldridge

Default RO systems

Just as a general water note, I spent five years trying to maintain a
medium-sized orchid greenhouse in north Texas using well water with an
EC of about 1800 uS/cm (roughly 1300 ppm TDS). It didn't work very
well for most plants. Small RO systems, even those billed at 75 GPD,
didn't provide enough water. I finally spent nearly 2K for a 350 GPD
pumped RO system from SpectraPure (www.spectrapure.com) and my plants
couldn't be happier.

I soften the well water with a KCl ion exchange softener (though I
think NaCl would be ok too), and then send it to the RO system. I end
up with water having an EC of 35 uS/cm (about 25 ppm TDS).

I recently started using the Michigan State RO Water Special
fertilizer (www.blackmoreco.com) featured in the June issue of Orchids
magazine. I'm now using a dose that delivers about 125 ppm N, but I am
thinking about halving this dose. Any thoughts?

Jim
James Aldridge, Fort Worth, Texas, USA
- www.JamesAldridge.us
- www.FWCDS.org
Old 20-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Hey, Jim.

Why halving the dose? I'm a believer in constant-but-low rate feeding, but
125 ppm N seems pretty low already - using the formula in "Orchids," the
N+P+K gives a TDS of about 258 ppm for 125 ppm N, or a guesstimated total of
around 300-325, including the other stuff.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 21-06-2003, 12:08 AM
James Aldridge

Ray,

The 125 ppm N for my 13-3-15 + Ca/Mg RO fertilizer gives an EC of
about 1000 uS/cm or a TDS of about 700 ppm. Do you still think this is
ok for routine use (not with paphs/phrags etc.)?

Jim

Old 21-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Bolero

Wow I just use water out of the tap here. Our total dissolved salts and
minerals is around 60 to 80ppm.

Old 21-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Bolero

Well then in seattle you wouldn't need RO water either?

I have just never heard of anyone needing to use that stuff to grow plants
before.

Maybe we are just lucky..........;-)

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
newsgSIa.92366$YZ2.263864@rwcrnsc53...
here in seattle it's in the 30s

u...

Old 21-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

yes, we are lucky. i think it's typical to have around 400 ppm. one issue
here is that you basically need to use an RO fertilizer as our water is
practically devoid of the micro and not so micro (ca and mg) nutrients as
well.

"Bolero" wrote in message
u...
Well then in seattle you wouldn't need RO water either?

I have just never heard of anyone needing to use that stuff to grow plants
before.

Maybe we are just lucky..........;-)

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
newsgSIa.92366$YZ2.263864@rwcrnsc53...
here in seattle it's in the 30s

u...

Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Jim,

Sounds like my "guesstimate" was off, but still... When I calculate the
TDS of the 12-6-13-7Ca-2 Mg stuff I've got, one teaspoon per gallon gives a
calculated nitrogen loading of 156 ppm and a TDS of 454 ppm, so if I lowered
the N to 125. the TDS would be 364, not 700.

The "Orchids" analysis - adjusted to 125 ppm N - gives a calculated TDS of
357 ppm.

FWIW, when I calculate the TDS of my nutrient solution using RO @ 10ppm
TDS, Dyna-Grow and Pro-Tekt, it comes out pretty close to the values I get
on both of my TDS meters....

I have to wonder what the disconnect is between our values.

Old 22-06-2003, 09:44 AM
James Aldridge

Ray,

It's a good question. The datasheet that comes with the fertilizer
gives an EC of 1000 uS/cm for a mix giving 125 ppm N, so my meter
seems to agree pretty closely with that. That mix would use 3.6 g of
fertiolizer/gallon of water, though I use a stock solution with a
Dosmatic injector.

Jim

Old 22-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Interesting....

My MSU stuff says an EC of "1.0" for 125 ppm - I assume that's 1000 uS/cm. -
and 3.9 g.

I haven't had a chance to use or measure the stuff - I sold out damned near
all I got in within days! All my measurements were with Dyna-Gro, and I
don't have any EC data for those.

I have more now, but it's going to have to wait until I get back from NC's
Outer Banks! (I leave in about an hour)

Old 24-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Ray - how often do you water and do you fertilize with each watering? I've
been watering my indoor growing area 2x per week and fertilizing every time
except once per month or so doing a just water. I'm using the MSU Pure
Water formula and was doing 1/4 tsp per gallon but thought about it and
since I was watering 2x per week, cut it back to 1/8 tsp per gallon... my
TDS meter reads about 150-175 PPM on top of the 30 PPM from the tap.

sprinkler systems BigDaDDY Lawns 3 08-01-2004 09:45 PM
Irrigation systems Barry Orchids 1 25-03-2003 02:56 AM
New Website : MODERNIZATION OF IRRIGATION SYSTEMS Jarut Nakaramaleerat sci.agriculture 0 17-03-2003 01:20 AM
Reticulation systems Donald R Smith Australia 4 04-03-2003 05:52 AM
AD: I repair lawn sprinkler systems snaylor Texas 0 24-02-2003 06:32 PM