Old 20-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Psychopsis papilio var aurea concolor

An interesting variety of the ("old" Oncidium papilio) butterfly orchid is
in bloom in Florida now.

It is a Psychopsis papilio var aurea concolor
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f.../papilio1a.jpg

Have you ever seen this one before?

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Old 20-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Mick,

I saw that one at Bergstrom Orchids in Hawaii a couple of years ago. It's
awesome! It was also way out of my price range. I think Bill was asking
$250.00 for a nice in bloom specimen.

Are you flasking it?

Gene

Old 20-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Gene,

I just put 4 flasks of it in the www.OrchidFlask.com orchid flask catalog
last week. I like pure yellow flowers and the parent shows quite nicely on
strong spikes as you can see in the photograph.

There are a few of these specimen plants owned by growers in SE Florida and
I am sure they would command $250 each IF they were selling them... which
nobody is that I know of.

Mick

Old 20-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Gene Schurg

WOW....I'll bet they go fast!

Hmmm......10 plants at $3.00 each in five years sell them for $250
each....that's better than the stock market!

Old 21-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 11:29:06 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

An interesting variety of the ("old" Oncidium papilio) butterfly orchid is
in bloom in Florida now.

It is a Psychopsis papilio var aurea concolor
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f.../papilio1a.jpg

Have you ever seen this one before?

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

Love it Mick. We have a yellow form. But not that pure. How do
you photograph it with out the green cast coming out? I don't
like our photos because of the green tone in the yellow flower.
SuE

Old 21-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Mick Fournier

Sue,

I set the brightness setting to 6 on a 10 scale for my Sony Mavica digital
camera, no flash, and always shoot under natural sunlight... I think black
backgrounds behind the flowers give the truest color for the flower... plus
there was not even a hint of green tone in this flower to start with.

Mick