Old 21-06-2003, 02:08 AM
C.K.T.

Default age of orchids

Hello everybody,

Great to find this groep!

I have some Phalenopsis, Dendrobium and Paphiopedilum.

I wonder how old these orchids can become. Someone around who knows that?

Thanks,

ckt

Old 21-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Gene Schurg

With proper care they can live indefinately.

Earlier this week I visited Tropic 1 orchids where they had a huge old vanda
that was at least 17 years old. It had about 20 different leads and about
20 spikes of flowers. Unbelievable!

Gene

Old 21-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Mick Fournier

CKT

There have certainly been times that I thought the lifespan of an orchid was
dependent on the price you paid for it.

$1-$5 10 years
$6-$15 8 years
$16-$35 6 years
$36-$75 3 years
$76-$250 2 years
$251-$500 1 year
$500-$2000 9 months
over $2000 is anybody's guess

Mick

Old 21-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Reka

"Mick Fournier" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
CKT

There have certainly been times that I thought the lifespan of an orchid

was
dependent on the price you paid for it.

$1-$5 10 years
$6-$15 8 years
$16-$35 6 years
$36-$75 3 years
$76-$250 2 years
$251-$500 1 year
$500-$2000 9 months
over $2000 is anybody's guess

Gee, then I have gotten some expensive orchids at a really good price!
grin
--
Reka
http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html

---

Old 22-06-2003, 04:20 PM
TRAINMAN9

With proper care they can live indefinately.

Anyone who has a division of any of the early paph hybrids has plants that are
over 100 years old.
Old 23-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Bryan

If orchids can live "forever" then that would put them in a special
category not shared by ANY OTHER living thing in known existence..
Genetic material does decay... Eventually..
No matter how old the plant, or how many times it has devided or grown
new crowns, the genetic structure is as old as the original seedling.
In other words, if the DNA is not refreshed by reproduction, and
sowing of new seed, then like anything else, the life sustaining force
of the genetic structure does eventually die out.
True, with orchids, this may take in excess of 150 years to occur,
given optimum culture... But it will happen.

"Bolero" wrote in message . au...
Yes they can outlive you.

Old 23-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Mick Fournier

Chris,

Yes, you are indeed correct.

Gift orchids (ie "unloads" from the first grower) will last a minimum of 15
years.

Mick
-------------------------------

"Chris Savas" wrote in message
I agree, but you failed to estimate the life span of a swapped or gift
plant/division. I had one that lasted only 31 years.

Regards,
Chris

Old 23-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Bolero

Oh ok, well you will never be around to find out then huh?

I believe there are some very old plants around that show no signs of dying
but I guess eventually it must come to an end.

But if it isn't going to happen in my lifetime then I really can't measure
it.

Maybe it would take 1000 years? It may be a while before anyone knows
anyway.

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...
If orchids can live "forever" then that would put them in a special
category not shared by ANY OTHER living thing in known existence..
Genetic material does decay... Eventually..
No matter how old the plant, or how many times it has devided or grown
new crowns, the genetic structure is as old as the original seedling.
In other words, if the DNA is not refreshed by reproduction, and
sowing of new seed, then like anything else, the life sustaining force
of the genetic structure does eventually die out.
True, with orchids, this may take in excess of 150 years to occur,
given optimum culture... But it will happen.

"Bolero" wrote in message

. au...
Yes they can outlive you.

Old 23-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:03:26 +1000, "Bolero"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Maybe it would take 1000 years? It may be a while before anyone knows
anyway.

How old are those Giant Sequoias in the California parks? IIRC, some
are supposed to predate Christ.

Old 23-06-2003, 06:20 PM
janet_a

sorry, i'm googling so i'm out of order:

age of trees---aren't the methuselah trees out west approaching
4,000 yrs old? gimme a sec...

Taking Chips Off the Oldest Blocks

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, June 16, 2003; Page A01

When they finally found it, high in California's rugged White
Mountains, the tree looked a lot like the other stunted and windblown
evergreens scattered about: a twisted mass of sun-bleached wood,
stubborn green needles and gray crusts of bark.

But this particular bristlecone pine was different. Nicknamed
Methuselah, it has clung to its rocky patch of ground near the Nevada
border for the past 4,768 years, making it the oldest known living
tree on the planet.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Jun15.html

ok, so almost 5,000 yrs old.

--j_a

Sugar Maple age kate alt.forestry 18 06-05-2003 03:23 AM
Mud Settle-age BenignVanilla Ponds 6 05-05-2003 03:56 PM
[IBC] age of a sucker Craig Cowing Bonsai 2 23-04-2003 05:44 AM
[IBC] Prove the Age of Trees John - NJ Bonsai 5 24-02-2003 05:39 AM
New Age Forestry? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 5 27-12-2002 04:46 PM