Old 24-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Wendy

Default Pumice

Anybody out there use pumice in potting mix? Wondering if it has to be
rinsed?
Cheers Wendy

Old 24-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Park702

I have been using it for phrags with some benefit. I don't rinse, and it
doesn't seem to matter.
Old 25-06-2003, 07:56 PM
solo_voyager

I have been using a pumice/sphagnum based mix for most of my potted
orchids (mostly Den.'s) for 2 to 3 years now. I LIKE IT!!!

I only rinse after potting something up with the mix to compact the
mix around the roots and to remove the fine powder that clouds the
initial water run through the pot. The bagged pumice is usually damp
from the manufacturer's rinsing it prior to bagging it. It is not a
very thorough job. I suspect that my rinsing out the portion that
clouds the water serves no other purpose than asthetic.

Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Diana Kulaga

Where would one find it? Always open to new media!

Diana

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks Guys.....Cheers Wendy

Old 26-06-2003, 11:08 PM
V_coerulea

What's your source and what color? I'd recommend rinsing anyway to get rid
of the really fine stuff. If you get colored, the red can have a tremendous
amount of coloring, clay, fine silt depending on the provider. It's similiar
to sponge rock but retains less water. I use it for all vandas, aerides,
ascocendas, ascofinetias, rhynchostylis, vandafinetias, brassovola, etc; you
get the idea. In a mix; I haven't tried that yet. Let me know if you do and
what are your results! Thanks.
Gary

Old 26-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Wendy

Diana, I got some from Orange County Farm Supply here in S.Cal.
They didn't have the large size which is what I want.
Cheers Wendy
thlink.net...

Old 26-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Wendy

Hi Gary, O.C.F.Supply in the city of Orange, Calif.
It is white & quite fine, very dusty. They did not have any large size.
Oh? I didn't know that it retains less water than Sponge Rock. Interesting.
Cheers Wendy

Old 26-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Why Diana....at your local Pumice 'r Us store of course!

Feeling like a smart alec tonight

Gene

Old 28-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Jim S