Old 25-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Larry Dighera

Default JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood

Does anyone have any experience with or comments on this flasking
hood? http://www.jaroca.com/

There are three models, that retail for $1,072.50 to $1,122.50 each
(plus $88.00 shipping) for the Class 100 (99.97%.) units. The
brochure mentions that they meet or exceed the Federal Standard No.
209A which requires particle count not to exceed a total of 100
particles per CU. Ft. 0.5 microns and larger.

The blower puts out 200 CFM. The literature says, "Provides up to 75
FPM positive pressure to prevent airborne contaminants from entering
cabinet."

Some experts feel 100 FPM is appropriate air flow, not 75 FPM:
http://www.fungifun.com/flowhood/match.htm

Also offered is a filter-blower assembly (no hood) at $588.50 plus $?
shipping.

Replacement HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters are $165.00
for the 99.97%, and $258.50 for the ULPA 99.99%, with prefilters
$66.00 per dozen.

It looks easy enough to construct one:

How to construct a hood:
http://www.fungifun.com/flowhood/

HEPA flitter sources:
http://www.hepafilters.com/CFS/filte...rance_sale.htm
http://www.filtersrx.com/sizes.asp?CAT=HEPHP9

Source for blowers:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611630999
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...03061222210572

Your thoughts?

Old 25-06-2003, 10:44 PM
K Barrett

http://www.geocities.com/~marylois/arch207.html
OrchidSafari's 'Boyz in the Hood' by Ed Wright. You can build your own for
much less than $1000......

K Barrett

Old 25-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:36:03 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote in Message-Id: TInKa.18626$3d.11800@sccrnsc02:

http://www.geocities.com/~marylois/arch207.html
OrchidSafari's 'Boyz in the Hood' by Ed Wright. You can build your own for
much less than $1000......

K Barrett

Thanks for the link, Kathy. Ed did a nice job, and shared a lot of
arcana. I would only have wished for a little more specific
information regarding CFM, etc. The pictures made up for a lot
though.

Did you ever find a laser pen strong enough to use on contamination?

Old 25-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Pat Brennan

Larry,

I built mine for a couple hundred dollars years ago. I expect it has a
smaller HEPA filter than the one you quoted a price for -- I do not think I
paid more than 100 bucks last time I replaced it. I am sure it meets no
standards, but my contamination rate is very low.

When selecting a blower it is critical to get one designed to operate at the
high static pressure required to get the air through the filter. Looking at
just the CFM is not enough.

Best deals I have seen on hoods are at state surplus auctions. Here in VA,
I see nice hoods (the open front workstation type) come up every couple of
months. They sell for very cheap money.

Pat
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

[...]

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...t=1&keyword=EB
SA&catname=electric&UID=2003061222210572

Your thoughts?

Old 26-06-2003, 05:33 PM
K Barrett

No, I never did, and searching around for the original article that stated
that laser pens aided in heaking wounds yeilded nada either. Just another
Urban Legend...

K Barrett

Old 26-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:32:42 -0400, "Pat Brennan"
wrote in Message-Id: :

Larry,

I built mine for a couple hundred dollars years ago. I expect it has a
smaller HEPA filter than the one you quoted a price for -- I do not think I
paid more than 100 bucks last time I replaced it.

The filter in the JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood is about 1-foot
by 2-feet.

I am sure it meets no
standards, but my contamination rate is very low.

That's what counts.

When selecting a blower it is critical to get one designed to operate at the
high static pressure required to get the air through the filter. Looking at
just the CFM is not enough.

How does one do that? The JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood uses two
centrifugal blowers each mounted directly on an end of the motor
shaft. The motor is rated for continuous duty, but that doesn't
really address the issue of aerodynamic load on it.

Best deals I have seen on hoods are at state surplus auctions. Here in VA,
I see nice hoods (the open front workstation type) come up every couple of
months. They sell for very cheap money.

That sounds encouraging. I'm tempted to ask if you'd be willing to
act as my agent in procuring one for me. But the cost of
transcendental shipment might not make such an arrangement practical.

What's your feeling about the possibility of success in purchasing a
small HEPA room air filter unit, and adapting a hand-constructed
plexiglass hood to it for use in flasking small batches? They are
available for under $100 on eBay.

Pat
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

Does anyone have any experience with or comments on this flasking
hood? http://www.jaroca.com/

There are three models, that retail for $1,072.50 to $1,122.50 each
(plus $88.00 shipping) for the Class 100 (99.97%.) units. The
brochure mentions that they meet or exceed the Federal Standard No.
209A which requires particle count not to exceed a total of 100
particles per CU. Ft. 0.5 microns and larger.

The blower puts out 200 CFM. The literature says, "Provides up to 75
FPM positive pressure to prevent airborne contaminants from entering
cabinet."

Some experts feel 100 FPM is appropriate air flow, not 75 FPM:
http://www.fungifun.com/flowhood/match.htm

Also offered is a filter-blower assembly (no hood) at $588.50 plus $?
shipping.

Replacement HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Arresting) filters are $165.00

Old 26-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Rob Halgren

That sounds encouraging. I'm tempted to ask if you'd be willing to
act as my agent in procuring one for me. But the cost of
transcendental shipment might not make such an arrangement practical.

Transcendental shipment is usually more than you want to pay. Don't
drink the 'kool-aid', regardless of what they promise you on the other
side. *grin*

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 26-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Al

If they will do transcendental shipping perhaps they will also accept
transcendental payment. It's worth asking. And yes, watch out for the
cool-aide.

Old 26-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:36:31 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote in Message-Id: :

That sounds encouraging. I'm tempted to ask if you'd be willing to
act as my agent in procuring one for me. But the cost of
transcendental shipment might not make such an arrangement practical.

Transcendental shipment is usually more than you want to pay. Don't
drink the 'kool-aid', regardless of what they promise you on the other
side. *grin*

Rob

Thanks. I needed that. :-)

The size of the type on this 17" display set to a resolution of 1280 X
1024 is rapidly becoming too small for my deteriorating visual acuity.
This is especially true when my spell checker presents the replacement
words in inverse video.

Of course, that was meant to be 'transcontental.'

Old 27-06-2003, 02:44 AM
mg

Larry Dighera wrote:
Of course, that was meant to be 'transcontental.'

Hope that's no relation to incontinent-al. Sounds messy.

Old 28-06-2003, 01:20 AM
profpam

We built ours for under $100 with flexiglass from Home Depot and glued
it together. My husband cut the armholes a bit tight as he used car wax
cans to hold the gloves. (Actually, he does the flasking.) It is
enclosed on all sides and has a removable top cover that contains rubber
weatherstrip edges. All in all, we have never had contamination from
using this chamber.

But, surely it is costly to built a flasking hood yourself. It also is
time consuming. So, indeed if time is important then it might be best
to go out and buy one. And surely JA-RO-CA has been around for a while.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 01-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Pat Brennan

Sorry about the delay in answering, been off at a flower show.

The filter in the JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood is about 1-foot
by 2-feet.

yep, my hood uses as 1 by 1 filter.

I am sure it meets no
standards, but my contamination rate is very low.

That's what counts.

If that is what counts and you will only be making a limited number of
flasks, a glove box is a good option. Remember 10 bottles means something
like 300 plants and to grow out that many will requires some space.

When selecting a blower it is critical to get one designed to operate at

the
high static pressure required to get the air through the filter. Looking

at
just the CFM is not enough.

How does one do that? The JA-RO-CA Enterprises Flasking Hood uses two
centrifugal blowers each mounted directly on an end of the motor
shaft. The motor is rated for continuous duty, but that doesn't
really address the issue of aerodynamic load on it.

I called the filter manufacture and asked what a typical flow through the
filter was and what the static pressure was at that flow rate. I then went
to the Grainger catalog and found a blower that meet the requirement. I
found this flow was too much (I flame tools) so I added a motor rheostat and
only use it at full speed when I first start the hood.

How much flow that is actually need is tied to how big the openings are for
your hands. The bigger the openning, the bigger the required flow is.

As you use your filter, it will slowly get clogged. As it gets clogged,
static pressure will increase and your blower must work harder. I blew my
first blower by working it too hard with a clogged filter. My hood now has
a static pressure gauge. At full speed a new filter has a static pressure
of .4 inches and is replaced before 1 inch.

Best deals I have seen on hoods are at state surplus auctions. Here in

VA,
I see nice hoods (the open front workstation type) come up every couple

of
months. They sell for very cheap money.

That sounds encouraging. I'm tempted to ask if you'd be willing to
act as my agent in procuring one for me. But the cost of
transcendental shipment might not make such an arrangement practical.

My cost would be greater then the filter and the shipping combined. All I
was saying is that there are a lot of these things floating around. Find
out how local universities and public heath offices dispose of surplus
equipment, I bet in time there is a hood at the end of the search.

What's your feeling about the possibility of success in purchasing a
small HEPA room air filter unit, and adapting a hand-constructed
plexiglass hood to it for use in flasking small batches? They are
available for under $100 on eBay.

Beats me. The filters look very different, but the ads say they produce
similar results. The air intake will have to be outside of the box which
may take some doing. The way I flask, the unit would have to be able to
stand up to bleach which is unlikely, but maybe you could find a way around
that.

Pat

Old 02-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Larry Dighera

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:12:25 -0700, profpam wrote in
We built ours for under $100 with flexiglass from Home Depot and glued
it together.

That is encouraging. However you must have an inexpensive source for
flitter media. The cost of the HEPA filter alone is nearly that much
on the price lists I've seen.

My husband cut the armholes a bit tight as he used car wax
cans to hold the gloves. (Actually, he does the flasking.) It is
enclosed on all sides and has a removable top cover that contains rubber
weatherstrip edges. All in all, we have never had contamination from
using this chamber.

Oh. I thought you were talking about a laminar flow hood, but I see
now that yours is a glove-box.

But, surely it is costly to built a flasking hood yourself. It also is
time consuming. So, indeed if time is important then it might be best
to go out and buy one. And surely JA-RO-CA has been around for a while.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

I'll probably give the hood construction project a try just for the
fun of it.

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

For Sale: Orchid Supplies / Grow Light / Orchid Flasking Supplies (Medfield MA) [email protected] Orchids 0 13-04-2005 03:51 PM
De-flasking Paphs bigfuzzybear1 Orchids 1 30-05-2004 04:05 AM
Orchids For Sale- Plants, Compots, Flasks, Supplies, Flasking Stuff, Grow Light Ken Koellner Orchids 2 30-09-2003 11:42 AM
Steam flasking! Dave Orchids 5 27-08-2003 09:32 PM
ECO Enterprises Question TimmyBrisby Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 07:11 AM