Old 03-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Tanya

Default crown rot -- please advise!

hello
phalaenopsis (i got it "reduced for a quick sale") but was sort of
fair... i'd repotted into fresh bark
a lower leaf had yellowed (physiologically) and 7 days ago i tried to
remove the rest of the leaf (this i believe contributed to it)
yesterday noted a pale leaf which fell off... (was bagged due to broken
humidifier) took out of its pot lost another leaf...
all the crown and most roots were sooty black (no leaf spots) also black
inside the crown
was NOT wet (if anything media was dry)
now has 2 leafs but 1 is paling. put cinnamon all over it (plus into
crown) - into tiny clay pot with sphagnum moss
3 things
1. what is the method that one puts the plant into a plastic bag wOut
the pot and how much of the crown can i remove? (i'm sure that despite
the condition i got it in trying to peel off the rest of the leaf --
which appeared dead really contributed to this) so don't want to make it
worse by cutting (since it was not wet...)
and how much of the roots do i remove? Cut them all off (there is 1 that
looks barely ok)
iow does one wrap the crown and 1 root in sphagnum (how much?) and seal
it in a zipLock and put it in the shade?
2. how contagious is this?
i threw out its old pot, all the blades and scissors; its leaves etc.
and changed the paper under where it was (the other orchids next to it
are bagged for part of the day depending on the weather)
if its in a sealed bag or a double sealed bag can it be on the same
shelf?
3. all i have is bleach, hydrogen peroxide, cinnamon, (and cinnamon oil)
the book talks about antiFungals i *do* have benomyl (for trees and
shrubs) if i use this how much does one use? (or what about a 5% bleach
solution) i don't think i have much to lose but i want to do all i can
thank you very much in advance!

Old 03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Tanya writes:
a lower leaf had yellowed (physiologically) and 7 days ago i tried to
remove the rest of the leaf (this i believe contributed to it)
yesterday noted a pale leaf which fell off... (was bagged due to broken
humidifier) took out of its pot lost another leaf...

I have poor experience with any kind of closed plastic bags. Every
time I have used something like that, mold and rot pops up almost
immediately, almost as if I had the plant in an overly humid, cold
environment without air circulation.

I have a phal with a lot of foilage that has lost most of its
roots. Since bagging them only has the effect of making it easier to
throw the thing out later, I have potted it in a fine media and given
it about 2-5klux of light, with frequent misting and a steady
airflow. It seems to hold up better than it would have in a bag. I am
going to lose another leaf, but there are the inklings of new root
bumps on the plant.

Geir
Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Tanya

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

Tanya writes:
[...]

thank you for replying!
do you keep it with your other orchids? (i.e. is it contagious?)
also did you treat it with anything? (i.e. benomyl?)
would you think that sphagnum moss (high grade loose is ok?) it had been in
fairly fine bark before yesterday)
it (i am sure) will be losing its next to last leaf (leaving one)
thank you
sincerely
Tanya

Old 03-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Tanya writes:
do you keep it with your other orchids? (i.e. is it contagious?)

Haven't got a choice. I live in a small flat.

If it is rot, I don't think it is transferable by air. It _is_
transferable by contact between infected parts and other plants. If you
dunk-water your plants, I would water it last, and I would wash out
the bucket afterwards. If you hold your plants under the tap when
watering, you should be ok.

also did you treat it with anything? (i.e. benomyl?)

I live in Norway. The only antifungicide I can get hold of legally is
cinnamon.

would you think that sphagnum moss (high grade loose is ok?) it had been in
fairly fine bark before yesterday)
it (i am sure) will be losing its next to last leaf (leaving one)

I sincerely don't know. I have never been able to save a plant that
has lost its roots, one way or another. I do know that bagging doesn't
work for me, but neither do many of the other tricks used by growers
in warmer climates.

Ray might be able to help?

Geir

Old 04-03-2003, 01:40 AM
Bob Walsh

Tanya,

You might try putting it in a pot partially filled with foam peanuts and
topped with sphagnum. Then put it in a ziplock bag with the top turned down
so it stays open a ways. I have done this with phals just out of flask and
into compots ala Bedford Orchids "flasking demistfied." I have not tried it
to rescue a plant but who knows, it might work. It will keep the humidity
up. Don't leave much if any water in the bottom of the bag.

For the roots someone somewhere suggested just pulling the soft stuff the
old roots and leave the "wire" to help stabilize the plant in it's new pot
while it grows new roots.

Good Luck,

Bob

Old 04-03-2003, 01:51 AM
Bob Walsh

Geir,

It seems to me that most crown rot is bacterial, not fungal.

I have found antibacterial soap (Tec ni care) that is used prior to surgical
procedures to be effective in stopping crown rot, although the phal I saved
with it never regained its former size. It grew a keike on the stem and I
just couldn't get it growing.

If you have a contact in the Med field maybe they could get some for you.

Bob

Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Tanya

Geir Harris Hedemark wrote:

Tanya writes:
[...]

thanks very much again for the reply!
now both leaves are yellowing so i guess i cannot do anything else.....
i appreciate your taking the time to reply and the advice
sincerely
Tanya
p.s. i have not seen anything go this quickly and i hope never to again...

Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Tanya

Bob Walsh wrote:

Tanya,

You might try putting it in a pot partially filled with foam peanuts and
topped with sphagnum. Then put it in a ziplock bag with the top turned down
so it stays open a ways. I have done this with phals just out of flask and
into compots ala Bedford Orchids "flasking demistfied." I have not tried it
to rescue a plant but who knows, it might work. It will keep the humidity
up. Don't leave much if any water in the bottom of the bag.

For the roots someone somewhere suggested just pulling the soft stuff the
old roots and leave the "wire" to help stabilize the plant in it's new pot
while it grows new roots.

i did that

Good Luck,

Bob

thank you very much for the reply!
both leaves are yellow i had repotted it (Sunday) into the culture you suggest
(moss and packing peanuts)
and yesterday more roots were black -- unless it can survive wOut leaves i
guess there's nothing else i can do...
i don't have a green thumb but i have never seen a plant go this fast (and it's
been here at least 6 weeks)
i really wonder whether my STUPIDLY trying to clean up the leaf last week
caused this (like pulling a hangNail would???)
thanks again
sincerely
Tanya

Old 04-03-2003, 06:39 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Tanya writes:
p.s. i have not seen anything go this quickly and i hope never to again...

On the other hand, it is a reason to go fetch another one.

I just got a Blc. white diamond and an Ascda. sunchart x yip sum
wah. I am now a lot poorer, but the orchid table is full again.

Geir

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 09:56 PM
how do u water phal to avoid crown rot? boochap Orchids 12 27-03-2005 03:27 AM
Crown Pacific Partners ($59 million loss adds to turmoil at Crown) Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 06-04-2003 09:44 PM
crown rot Orchids 6 30-03-2003 03:32 AM
crown rot (florid) transmissability Tanya Orchids 1 10-03-2003 06:33 PM