Old 27-06-2003, 05:56 AM
William

Default Moving outside question

I have 6 Phals and Paph. I have had them inside for a few years under a
wonderlite and they have always done beautifully. I use hydroculture on all
of them. I recently built a Koi pond outside and I live in NJ. The sunlight
is sunny shade and would be perfect for them around the rocks of the pond.
My question is if I move them outside would I have a real problem with bugs,
mites, and all those creepy crawlers getting into the plants? And what types
of measures should I take before moving them outside? They would all be so
beautiful outside and I think they would love the humidity by the pond
especially now in Jersey since it's been so hot and humid recently. Another
question is with the hydro am I going to have to run outside all the time
when it rains to bring them in because it will ruin the concentration of the
nutrient solution? I know it's a few questions in a post but I really didn't
feel like posting a few times )

Thanks,
Bill in N.J.

Old 27-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Bolero

Sunny shade?

Hopefully not too sunny..........Phals are happy in 90% shade and if they
get direct light at all that could cause a problem.

Both species are heavy shade lovers and that would be my primary concern.

As for the bugs I don't know what it's like living in your area but I grow
plants outside with few problems.

Old 27-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Bill,

I would highly recommend that you do not put your plants around the koi pond
outdoors. If you sit them on the ground you would be subject to slugs and
other critters that could make home in the pots. What they didn't eat
outdoors they would consume when you bring them indoors if you didn't treat
the pots in the fall.

Phals and paphs should never sit on the bare ground outdoors for that
reason.

If you decide to take them outdoors keep them off the ground and in a very
shady area. The June sun will burn their tender leaves in an hour if they
were growing underlights indoors. It takes a couple of weeks for them to
harden off enough to take the full summer sun.

Outdoors you have other things to consider...too much/too little rain, too
hot, hard rain beating up the leaves and the every so surprizing hail storm
that can shread the leaves in a few minutes.

The lady who lived in my house before I bought it took her phals outdoors
the last summer she was here. She did not think about sitting them in the
shade of the beautiful chestnut oak trees that fill the back half of the
property. The phals enjoyed the shade. Then one day the acorns matured and
began to fall. Her plants were destroyed.

Squirrels love to dig in the medium looking for that nut you hid in the
flower pot (at least they think you hid one in there). If Squirrels are in
your neighborhood they can upset the pots and break the leaves.

It's a dangerous would out there in New Jersey for poor defenseless orchids.
You have to think about all the dangers and protect them if you want them to
enjoy the summer outdoors.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
K Barrett

OK, maybe I'm thick, but let me get this straight...

You have some phals that you are growing hydroponically (hydroculture) and
you want to put them IN the water of your new koi pond? Is that right?

If not, why not try it? I think that would look cool. Go get a cheapie throw
away phal at someplace like Home Depot and adjust it to hydroculture. Next
year when it spikes you're ready to place it in the koi pond, taking the
same care as with other water plants that the koi do not nibble the phal's
roots. If it dies, no great loss 'cause its a Home Depot plant and it
probably would have died anyway. You'd have to provide appropriate shade,
but heck, water and fertilizer'd be provided by the fish....

As to the bugs, how about some carnivorous plants to line the pond too? Some
of those trumpets looking ones. Or is that too bog-like rather than
pond-like?

(Ack, maybe I'd better drink more coffee and wake up!. LOL!)

K Barrett

Old 29-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Diane Mancino

great! squirrels! I have a ton of them and just hung my orchids out. My
cymbidiums are on the patio surface- elevate them too?

Diane

rthlink.net...

Old 29-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

I think you want the plants above the ground. Otherwise, you'll have all
the creapy crawlys making home in the bottom of the cymbidium pots.

I haven't had problems with squirels bothering anything that is hung up in a
tree. I only hang my Vandas outdoors so maybe they see there's nothing
there.

Good Growing,
Gene

et...

Old 29-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Diane Mancino

up they go Gene, at least in a chair tonight. I've already decided that they
need to obe on something that can be moved to a protected area. Also the
family feline cats sometimes like a fresh green nibble. The dends are still
inside, I think I'll set up a bricks and boards plant shelf that can be
taken down in a flash.

Old 29-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

If you are willing to invest a few dollars the closet shelves at Home Depot
(and other home improvement stores) work well as ventilated orchid shelves.
I've used them as table tops.

For about 10 bucks you can get a 12 foot long shelf. Sit it up on bricks
and you have an area where most slugs won't care to venture.

Old 29-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Diane Mancino

I actually have one of those shelves in the garage - knew I saved it for
something. They are good for a vented shelf I have my own store here! lol
Lots of wood to play with, guess the basement grow shelf is next

moving christmas tree outside at night johngood_____[_3_] United Kingdom 7 06-01-2008 08:43 PM
moving orchids outside Munir Orchids 7 28-10-2005 05:03 PM
Moving plant outside for the summer? Al Orchids 4 19-05-2005 06:02 PM
[IBC] Moving to San Gabriel Mountains Outside LA from zone 6-7 NEW YORK C... Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 5 06-07-2004 02:03 AM
[IBC] Moving to San Gabriel Mountains Outside LA from zone 6-7 NEW YORK CITY to zone 8-9 Ben Griffin Bonsai 7 05-07-2004 11:03 PM