Old 03-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Bob Betts

Default London Orchid Society Show

The London Orchid Society is proud to announce that their Twenty-sixth
annual orchid show will take place this weekend (March 8th and 9th) at
Wonderland Gardens in London Ontario Canada.

The show will be open from noon to 5:00 pm Saturday for the general
public, from 8:00 am until 11:00 am Sunday for photographers and
artists, and from 11:00 am until 5:00 pm Sunday for the general
public.

We will have exhibits from 27 clubs, commercial vendors, and private
individuals.

There will be 19 vendors of orchid plants, orchid books, greenhouses,
and both regular and hydroponic orchid growing supplies.

Complete information about the show can be found
at:http://los.lon.imag.net/shows.asp

A map to the show location can be found at:
http://los.lon.imag.net/losshowm.asp

The complete show schedule is at: http://los.lon.imag.net/sched03.asp

The locations of all advance ticket sales locations can be
found at: http://los.lon.imag.net/tickets.asp

A complete list of attending vendors (including web site and email
links) can be found at: http://los.lon.imag.net/vendors.asp

Hope to see you all there.
Old 04-03-2003, 02:03 AM
Ted Byers

Hi Bob,

I had intended to go, but according to
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/, the weather is supposed to be nasty
on the weekend; at least down that way. If that holds true, I'm not
going anywhere.

However, if the long range forecast proves wrong, what would the exit
be from the 401 coming from the east? And what can you tell me about
the riverview restaurant at wonderland gardens? Have you had your
show at the wonderland gardens before? Have you eaten at that
restaurant? I haven't been in London in almost twenty years.

If the weather is nasty this coming weekend, maybe we'll cross paths
at the RBG show in Burlington at the end of the month. The list of
vendors looks familiar, and I know several of them will be either in
Burlington (I know five of them from the SOOS meetings), or at the
congress in Toronto in April, or both. Do you know how many of your
vendours and exhibitors will be at the other shows? Don't get me
wrong. I'd support your show even if the list of vendors was
identical to that in one of the other shows (it is a chance to meet
and vist with folk who share with an interest in orchids), but not if
travelling presents a significant risk. (And I'd be looking for
vendours who have some of the fragrant phal species or some
cypripedium or bletila orchid species which would be winter hardy here
in Orillia. So far, I've only found two in Canada: one in Ottawa and
the other in BC. A friend told me he knows where they grow wild, but
I won't collect from the wild and will insist on nursery grown
specimens.)

Why don't you schedule your shows for spring, when even the worst
weather is not likely to make travel dangerous? I don't mind driving
in rain, but I won't drive in a blizzard or if there is a risk of
black ice.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 04-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Bob Betts

wrote:
what would the exit be from the 401 coming from the east?

Take 401 west to 402. Take 402 to Wonderland north (the first exit
off 402) and keep going until you cross Springbank Drive.
Wonderland gardens will be on your left.

Have you had your show at the wonderland gardens before?

We have held the show at Wonderland Gardens every year but one for
the last fourteen years that I have been involved. We tried another
venue one year because it seemed to have more space and we were
considering it for the Canadian Orchid Congress national show we
hosted in 2000. It turned out not to be as good as Wonderland Gardens
so we are back at Wonderland. If you check the schedule at
http://los.lon.imag.net/shows.asp
you will see we are there until at least 2010.

And what can you tell me about the riverview restaurant at wonderland gardens?
Have you eaten at that restaurant?

The restaurant has limited hours during the winter (Friday and
Saturday evening for dinner only) but will be open on Saturday (for
lunch only to accomodate the judges).
We take the judges there for lunch each year after the judging. We
also held the Saturday night banquet there for the COC show in 2000.
It is small but it is very cozy and has great food. It is also about
10 steps from the back door of the exhibit hall so it is easy for us
and the judges to get to.

Why don't you schedule your shows for spring,

Three reasons:
1) Tradition and lethargy
2) Availability of Wonderland Gardens
3) Availability of judges - there are so many shows now it is hard to
find a weekend when they are available

We have actually been pretty lucky with the weather. Sometimes it is
better that weekend than a few weeks later.