Old 28-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Rick

Default slug trouble

hi all:

I have been having slug damage to my phals.. today morning I noticed
circular holes in the leaves . Also some leaves seemed chewed from the side
.. However I was unable to trace the little creeps. how do I control them
from not eating any more . I am afraid they might eat the new growth or the
growing point.
is the any sluggicide that can be used as a bait to catch em???

rick

Old 28-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Gene Schurg

Rick,

Get some slug pellets from you local nursury. Ortho makes them and the
slugs love to eat the pellets. They are poison so you can't use them if you
have children around. You have to act fast since they will consume the
plant in a couple of days and it will be years before the plant recovers to
look good again.

There is another posting further down the list where we discussed slugs
about a week ago but you need something in the pot immediately.

If you don't want to use poison then you could unpot the plant and find the
slugs and then repot it in fresh mix. This is easy for a plant or two.

Good growing,
Gene

s.com...

Old 28-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Dewitt

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:36:35 GMT, "Rick" wrote:

Thanks... I'm on my way first thing in the morning... damn critters...lol

Rick

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Rick,

Get some slug pellets from you local nursury. Ortho makes them and the
slugs love to eat the pellets. They are poison so you can't use them if

you
have children around.

Slug / snail baits that contain iron phosphate, such as EscarGo, are
much less toxic other snail baits.

deg

Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Susan Erickson

They had a homemade garden slug catcher on HG tv this am.
They took a Soda liter and cut the top off. Loaded the bait into
the bottom. Inverted the top (funnel into the bottle) then
stapled it back on.
I wonder if a smaller container, loaded and stapled would cut
down the water wash out, the danger to visitors and would work
sitting on orchid pots.

SuE
Old 28-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:30:01 -0600, Susan Erickson
wrote in Message-Id: :

They had a homemade garden slug catcher on HG tv this am.
They took a Soda liter and cut the top off. Loaded the bait into
the bottom. Inverted the top (funnel into the bottle) then
stapled it back on.
I wonder if a smaller container, loaded and stapled would cut
down the water wash out, the danger to visitors and would work
sitting on orchid pots.

That's an interesting device. I'm just wondering how the slugs will
find the bait. They won't bump into it in their normal travels as
it's located in the bottom of the vessel where they are unlikely to
go. They won't accidently slide down the funnel given their inability
to slide on hard surfaces. Is the bait attractant powerful enough to
motivate the slugs to navigate falling through the funnel?

What happens when irrigation water enters the vessel? Does it exit
through a drain in the bottom, leaching out the poison, or does the
water drown the bait?

I'm all for anything that will rid orchids of slugs. Has anyone any
hands-on experience with this device they can report?

Old 29-06-2003, 06:32 PM
profpam

Charley's has a Slug Pub for sale on p.53 of their catalog. They say to
"use beer or a potato slice for bait." I have never tried this;
however, I am wondering what the HG tv program mentioned to use as bait?

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 30-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:36:33 -0700, profpam
wrote:

Charley's has a Slug Pub for sale on p.53 of their catalog. They say to
"use beer or a potato slice for bait." I have never tried this;
however, I am wondering what the HG tv program mentioned to use as bait?

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

They just loaded it with the gray liquid slug killer. They were
setting it up outdoors and I imagine they would have nestled it
down in the dirt a bit. I thought I would try miniaturizing it
and putting it in a pot to see if the snails would be attracted.
I was interested in the attraction and the water protection. We
don't have kids, cats, or dogs in the gh anymore.
SuE