Old 29-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Claude

Default Phal first blooming...

Hello everyone!

A simple question!

I have a phal who`s blooming for the first time. I have noticed that the
spike is quite short ( about 8inch ) and only two flower buds.

Is the spike will grow longer with age? Am I going to have more flowers in
the future?

Thanks

Claude

Old 29-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Karen

Claude, the general answer to both of your questions is yes. Next time
around the spike should be longer and you should have more flowers.

Now how you take care of it does play into the spiking and blooming but
in general the answer is yes.
Karen

Old 30-06-2003, 04:56 AM
Gene Schurg

Claude,

Phals are funny creatures. I've had first bloom seedlings with only a
single flower or two. Others have a nice spray of 4-8 flowers.

Usually the ones that bloom when still very small have fewer flowers.
(Duh!)

It may take several years before you know the full potential of the plant.
Now is the time to decide whether the flower has the qualities that make it
worthwhile to grow it out to an adult specimen. If the flower is not a
desirable color or has flaws that ruin the display then cut your loss and
get another seedling. You have to ask yourself whether a full spray of a
dozen or so these blossoms would make a plant worthy of display.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 30-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Diane Mancino

I also have a phal that is in spike- a seedling. I guess this stem should
definitely be cut after the bloom.

Diane
rthlink.net...

Old 30-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Claude

Thank you all! :-)))

Old 01-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

why not wait till the stem is completely dried up before cutting it of?
Peter

"Diane Mancino" schreef in bericht
et...

Old 01-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Gene Schurg

Peter,

If you remove the spent flower spike the plant puts all of its energy into
growing other parts of the plant and prepares to ultimately bloom again.

Leaving the old spike on some phals they may try to push out another bloom
or two or maybe a keiki. Since we are talking about first bloom seedlings
here I would recommend that the plant grow big and strong before it blooms
again.

Of course if the phal is one of the ones that rebloom indefinately on the
old spikes you have to decide what you want to do and may not take this
approach.

Good Growing,
Gene

. be...

Old 01-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Diane Mancino

my point exactly, Gene. My phal I have in bloom now, bloomed on a broken
stem, and is beautifully in bloom, still going strong with a new spike at
the end. I don't know when it will stop. How long can a stem get?

Diane

news