Old 01-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Cycnoches & Catasetum Culture

While surfing and looking for some info about care of these orchids I found
this on the Carter and Holmes website:

Use 6" clay pots. Break into a large drainage hole and fill up to 1/2 with
potsherds or river gravel; take a single bulb (If plant has more than one
bulb, make several plants of it, for it will break leads only on the newest
bulb even if left together.) with the dead roots still on the plant, hold it
in the center of the pot and pack the medium around it, not too tightly.

I only have a few of these in my collection and they have only grown a
single lead each year. I just thought they were not big enough to grow into
multiple growth plants.

I'd like to hear the opinion of the RGO members here. Do you divide your
Cycnoches and Catestums into individual backbulbs regularly?

I don't have any reason to question this but was just wondering.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 01-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Michael Gerzog

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message arthlink.net...

I only have a few of these in my collection and they have only grown a
single lead each year. I just thought they were not big enough to grow into
multiple growth plants.

I'd like to hear the opinion of the RGO members here. Do you divide your
Cycnoches and Catestums into individual backbulbs regularly?

I only have a few myself, but both of my plants of Cyc. Rocky Clough
grew 'bulbs from each of 2 separate leads. I guess that's not quite
the same as sprouting growths from backbulbs, but still, the result is
2 new growths in the pot.

The others I have, species, are too new to tell what they'll do yet.
Since I haven't found the need to repot annually (I don't keep them
quite bone dry while dormant so they don't lose all their old roots),
annual division seems like more work than it's worth, absent other
considerations.

Michael
Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 PM
AN

HI GENE
\CATASETUMS DO THAT, AND THAT'S THE WAY I PART THEM IN SOUTHAMERICA.
BUT IN GREENHOUSES CONDITIONS, I'M NOT SURE I WILL WANT TO MAKE THEM SINGLE
BULB.
MAYBE IF THE PLANT HAVE 3 BULBS, TAKE THE OLDEST ONE AND POT IT SEPARATELLY,
THAT WAY U DON'T LOOSE THE CLONE.

Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Dave

I did not see the need to repot them annually until a grower told me I would
get better flowering plants. I tried it, removed them from the pot in the
fall and repotted them in the spring, one with two bulbs grew 4 new ones
and bloomed beautiful - have been repotting annually since.
om...

Old 02-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Jerry Hoffmeister

did u also separate into single or 2-3 bulb pieces? I understand the
repotting thing is to make sure to keep them dry while dormant which can be
difficult to remember I've left mine (I only have one) in a pot now for
it's 3rd year and it's bloomed faithfully w/ 2 spikes on the lead bulb each
year. Started w/ a 2 bulb piece and it has grown one new one each year. I
may unpot it when it goes dormant this year and divide...

. com...

Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Dave

I repotted 3 bulbs, the old back bulb I planted in another pot and it put
out new growth. When I did not repot I got one new bulb per year.
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...
did u also separate into single or 2-3 bulb pieces? I understand the
repotting thing is to make sure to keep them dry while dormant which can

be
difficult to remember I've left mine (I only have one) in a pot now

for
it's 3rd year and it's bloomed faithfully w/ 2 spikes on the lead bulb

each
year. Started w/ a 2 bulb piece and it has grown one new one each year.

may unpot it when it goes dormant this year and divide...

. com...

Old 03-07-2003, 10:23 PM
profpam

I once took the advice of someone, who said to divide the catasetum into
clumps of three bulbs to prevent rot. This has surely worked for me,
and the same goes for the others in this family. Another thing is to
remove any bulbs that go soggy -- the old rotten apple that ruins the
barrel approach. Also, don't overwater in the summer and mist in the
winter in southwestern climates as this family is prone to both rot and
shrivel.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html
Growing Catasetums http://www.pe.net/~profpam/cataset.html
Culture Sheets for some species
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/freestuff.html
Dave wrote:

I repotted 3 bulbs, the old back bulb I planted in another pot and it put
out new growth. When I did not repot I got one new bulb per year.
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...
did u also separate into single or 2-3 bulb pieces? I understand the
repotting thing is to make sure to keep them dry while dormant which can

be
difficult to remember I've left mine (I only have one) in a pot now

for
it's 3rd year and it's bloomed faithfully w/ 2 spikes on the lead bulb

each
year. Started w/ a 2 bulb piece and it has grown one new one each year.

may unpot it when it goes dormant this year and divide...

. com...

Old 03-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Pam,

Do you divide in the fall after blooming or in the spring when they are
ready to emerge from dormancy?

Gene

Dave wrote:

I repotted 3 bulbs, the old back bulb I planted in another pot and it

put
out new growth. When I did not repot I got one new bulb per year.
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...
did u also separate into single or 2-3 bulb pieces? I understand the
repotting thing is to make sure to keep them dry while dormant which

can
be
difficult to remember I've left mine (I only have one) in a pot

now
for
it's 3rd year and it's bloomed faithfully w/ 2 spikes on the lead bulb

each
year. Started w/ a 2 bulb piece and it has grown one new one each

year.
may unpot it when it goes dormant this year and divide...

. com...

Old 04-07-2003, 12:32 AM
profpam

Gene,

I have divided in both fall and spring. I repot when needed as well.

Dave wrote:

I repotted 3 bulbs, the old back bulb I planted in another pot and it

put
out new growth. When I did not repot I got one new bulb per year.
"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...
did u also separate into single or 2-3 bulb pieces? I understand the
repotting thing is to make sure to keep them dry while dormant which

can
be
difficult to remember I've left mine (I only have one) in a pot

now
for
it's 3rd year and it's bloomed faithfully w/ 2 spikes on the lead bulb
each
year. Started w/ a 2 bulb piece and it has grown one new one each

year.
may unpot it when it goes dormant this year and divide...

. com...

Old 04-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Pat Brennan

Gene,

Following this discussion and figured mine were in need of repotting. I
have not been breaking off back bulbs. Almost all of the plants only had
only one lead although some had many large backbulbs. I posted a picture to
ABPO of the largest plants. It is about 12 years old and never been broken
up. It had 5 leads. It is now in many pots. In fact it is now they.

Pat

Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Gene Schurg

WOW....I guess there will be alot of Catasetums for sale at Brennan's
Orchids this fall.

I took another look at my plants and they only have one or two backbulbs so
I didn't divide anything yet but will keep this in mind in the future.

Thanks for posting the picture Pat.

Gene

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Gene,

Following this discussion and figured mine were in need of repotting. I
have not been breaking off back bulbs. Almost all of the plants only had
only one lead although some had many large backbulbs. I posted a picture

ABPO of the largest plants. It is about 12 years old and never been

broken
up. It had 5 leads. It is now in many pots. In fact it is now they.

Pat

Cycnoches warszewiczii 'Giant Swan' - amazing chartreuse green alien flower Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 4 22-01-2007 09:32 PM
Cycnoches Jean E. Monnier awards? Gene Schurg Orchids 2 23-08-2005 01:36 AM
Catasetum culture GrlIntrpted Orchids 18 15-09-2004 05:14 PM
Cycnoches lehmanii GrlIntrpted Orchids 4 07-05-2004 09:04 PM
Thorns on Cycnoches Robert Dickow Orchids 1 23-02-2003 02:51 PM