Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Paulo

Default Oncidium flexorum

Hi Everyone, i have a question...my onc.flexorum is growing from the oldest
pseudobulb....and the growth it had in the youngest one is dying....Is it
commun to grow from an old pseudobulb?

Thanks

--
Paulo

Old 02-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Eric Hunt

Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant activates an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes it will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 02-07-2003, 08:32 AM
V_coerulea

Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has happened to
the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new growth is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer bulb if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15 min or so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Paulo

I have repotted recently (2 motnh ago) and the bulbs are ok, the new growth
died, and from the oldest bulb 2 new growth start. Otherwise, seems to be
ok...

Thanks

--
Paulo
"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has happened

the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new growth is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer bulb if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15 min or so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Gene Schurg

Paulo,

You may consider that during the repotting you may have done something to
damage the bud/growth.

I've also had Oncidium types abort a growth when I rotated the plant or
water laid in the new growth just because of the angle it was growing from
the pot.

I've also seen an individual growth rot when a fat handed gardener (no need
to point fingers here) in his anxiousness to clean up and see want was
happening around the growth accidently tugged on the growth or the paperthin
sheath that surounds it and damaging the new growth. When I see that guy
again I'm gonna fire him!

Good Growing,
Gene

.. .

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has happened

the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new growth is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer bulb if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15 min or so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 02-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Paulo

It is possible Gene. I hope now is recovering fine.....I am getting 2 new
growth from the oldest bulb....Whne is gonna happen with the other 2 the
plant already have...?

Sorry for all these questions, I am pretty new with orchids and it is hard
to "understand" them.......

--
Paulo
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Paulo,

You may consider that during the repotting you may have done something to
damage the bud/growth.

I've also had Oncidium types abort a growth when I rotated the plant or
water laid in the new growth just because of the angle it was growing from
the pot.

I've also seen an individual growth rot when a fat handed gardener (no

need
to point fingers here) in his anxiousness to clean up and see want was
happening around the growth accidently tugged on the growth or the

paperthin
sheath that surounds it and damaging the new growth. When I see that guy
again I'm gonna fire him!

Good Growing,
Gene

.. .

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has

happened
the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new growth is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer bulb

if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15 min or

so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 03-07-2003, 07:56 AM
Dave Lockwood

A couple of months ago I mentioned a local society meeting where Sue Fordyce
gave a talk. Among many of the items she covered was "dormant" growth
points or "eyes". She said Cattleyas have two on each psuedobulb. If the
active one gets damaged the dormant one swings into action. In fact she
said some people take advantage of this and will cut the rhizome on a large
plant forcing new growth further back. You will get a much larger flower
display. I do understand that judges don't like to see this and will ding
you for it. That only matters if you give a hoot what other people think of
your plants. Personally I don't. I don't show my restored cars or my
orchids, just enjoy both!
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news
Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant activates an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes it will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Diane Mancino

are you saying Gene that an oncidium will have trouble if it's rotated? Mine
have been moved around quite a bit

Diane

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news
Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant activates

an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes it will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 03-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Paulo,

My guess is that the other growths will mature without any futher problems.
Just be careful that the water does not accumulate in the nest of leaves
when you water. It seems that some Oncidiums dislike that puddle of water.

Good growing,
Gene

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has

happened
the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new growth

is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer

bulb
if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15 min or

so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 03-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Diane,

It can cause problems if you rotate a plant and the new growth has a new
microclimate that it doesn't like.

If the new growth is shaded from the hot sun or the heat coming off the
window and you rotate the plant so that the new growth gets too warm it
could burn. The same goes for cold weather and the draft off the window.

I guess I think of that new growth as a new baby. An adult would not think
about walking outdoors in the hot sun but a new baby would sunburn in a few
minutes. The new growth has to adapt to the microclimate.

This isn't much of an issue if your growing environment doesn't have big
temp or sunlight variants.

Good Growing,
Gene

news

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news
Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant

activates
an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes it

will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

Old 03-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Paulo

Gene, my plant doesnt have any leave...just three pseudobulbs and the 2 new
growth from the oldest pseudob......I am wondering if i am not watering
enough......

Thanks

--
Paulo
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Paulo,

My guess is that the other growths will mature without any futher

problems.
Just be careful that the water does not accumulate in the nest of leaves
when you water. It seems that some Oncidiums dislike that puddle of

water.

Good growing,
Gene

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has

happened
the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new

growth
is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer

bulb
if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15 min

or
so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 03-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Ray Barkalow

Old pseudobulbs will probably not grow leaves, but the new growths should
sustain it fine.

--

Ray Barkalow -- First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com
"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
Gene, my plant doesnt have any leave...just three pseudobulbs and the 2

new
growth from the oldest pseudob......I am wondering if i am not watering
enough......

Thanks

--
Paulo
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Paulo,

My guess is that the other growths will mature without any futher

problems.
Just be careful that the water does not accumulate in the nest of leaves
when you water. It seems that some Oncidiums dislike that puddle of

water.

Good growing,
Gene

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has
happened
the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new

growth
is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer

bulb
if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15

min
or
so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 04-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Gene Schurg

Paulo,

I was refering to the new growths as the new leaves develop. That is where
you have to keep it dry. If you get water down into this growing point and
it doesn't dry out, then get a soda straw and blow into it and aim the other
end at the puddle of water.

Gene

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
Gene, my plant doesnt have any leave...just three pseudobulbs and the 2

new
growth from the oldest pseudob......I am wondering if i am not watering
enough......

Thanks

--
Paulo
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Paulo,

My guess is that the other growths will mature without any futher

problems.
Just be careful that the water does not accumulate in the nest of leaves
when you water. It seems that some Oncidiums dislike that puddle of

water.

Good growing,
Gene

"Paulo" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

.. .

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
Yes it is, but usually only if something potentially lethal has
happened
the newer bulb, as is apparently the case here since the new

growth
is
dying. It would probably be wise to repot, cutting off the newer

bulb
if
there are any signs of rot. Then I'd soak it in Physan for 15

min
or
so
before repotting.

.. .

Old 04-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Diane Mancino

I think I have great changes, Inside this house is darkif I don't turn on
lights due to the wooded lot, and you must wear sunglasses in the sun here-
when i see a new growth on a plant i seem to want to check it out- or notice
the growth while handling. I just might mark the pots "n for north, s ,e ,w
" in the rim so I know which angle to keep it at on the windowsill.

all my progress this year and, it was time to move them outside this week-
hope I didn't set them back too much. I don't turn the orchids in bloom, but
didn't think it mattered on the others

On the other hand a young oncidium sprouted a new growth so fast after
moving that it was wrinkled ( always water it so I don't think it was too
dry) and the new pseudobulb split the old leaf from the new larger size.

I've lost a lot of new growths on oncidiums- they keep on sprouting new
shoots

Diane

[...]

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
news Paulo,

Yes, this is quite normal. When a lead growth dies, the plant

activates
an
older "eye", or growing point, on an older pseudobulb. Sometimes it

will
activate another eye on the current pseudobulb instead.

-Eric in SF

.. .

ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 3 11-08-2003 05:22 PM
ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 07:06 AM
ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 07:05 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 04:44 PM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 01:45 AM