Old 01-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Ted Byers

Default Its about time!

After the better part of a year sitting and doing nothing, five of my dends,
about half of what I have (not counting specimens bought with a new
pseudobulb developing and not counting my nobile type dends), have FINALLY
decided to do something! No, they didn't decide to die on me. ;-) Within
the past week, they decided to put out a new pseudobulb. The longest of
these new growths is about 2 cm (just a little less than an inch) and about
0.75 cm thick, and the shortest is less than 1 cm and not as thick as the
inflorescence on my Phalaenopsis amabilis. And I have a dend keiki to
remove from the momma and pot up. I wonder if that horrible heat wave we
had early last week had anything to do with this. Having temperatures in
excess of 35 degrees Celcius brought back bad memories of the time I lived
in Singapore and travelled through south Asia. I just about melted.

My cats are behaving quite interestingly. Some seem to prefer to put out
one new pseudobulb at a time, the new one starting less than a month after
the previous one has fully opened its leaves (these are bifoliate). The
ones for which I noticed this are seedlings that are still a year or two
away from blooming. Others seem to prefer to put out several pseudobulbs at
a time, and then a few months later put out some more, and the ones for
which I noticed this behaviour are older, having bloomed several times
before. One has put out half a dozen new pseudobulbs since October! Is
this primarily a function of age, or is it a species specific trait?

Cheers,

Ted