Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Go Gators

Default Pansy Orchid Potting

I had received a pansy orchid from a friend who had received it as a gift.
I remember seeing it when it was in bloom and it was beautiful. Needless to
say it only had 1 viable psuedobulb left. I cut off the dead stuff and
potted the one piece that is still alive. It is a very light green and had
about 4 good roots. I am assuming that it is the newest bulb as I did not
see any other root protrusions on the base of it, just the 4 roots that I
mentioned. Now that I have it in a new pot with new mix, what should I do
to ensure that it survives? The green that I mention is most likely from a
lack of water and nutrients, as I did not see any red on the leaves
indicating too much light. Should I put it in my orchid house (outside) or
should I leave it in the house with less light and where it is cooler? Any
help would be appreciated as I have never grown this type of orchid. By the
way I live in West Palm Beach (hot and lots of humidity). Not even sure if
this type of orchid will grow here.

I have no idea what the name is on this plant as the tag is long gone.

Old 04-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Ray Barkalow

Miltoniopsis get pale, not red, in overly bright conditions, and they prefer
cooler conditions, so I'd move it into a semi-shady, indoor, air conditioned
location.

--

Ray Barkalow -- First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

Old 04-07-2003, 05:20 PM
profpam

Being that the group as a whole is very difficult to grow in hot
climates, I would keep it inside where it is cooler. Pansy orchids,
however, seem to like bright light.

Good luck with this one. There are a few varieties that adapt to the
warmer climate, though.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 05-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Kenni Judd

Keep it as cool as you can. While they do normally like bright light, a
sick or stressed plant like your little remnant can use some extra shade
while it tries to recuperate. Mounting the orchid on a clay tube that you
keep filled with water can help keep the root zone cool. Unfortunately,
I've looked, and been unable to find a good source for the clay tubes [I
don't need 10,000 of them ...]. Milton Carpenter at Everglades Orchids
might be able to sell you one or two.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Gene Schurg

Kenni,

Can you describe these clay tubes? I'm having difficulting imagining what
you're recommending.

Thanks,
Gene

"Go Gators" wrote in message
[...]

Purple pansy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:46 AM
Potting soil vs Potting mix [email protected] Texas 0 27-08-2008 08:14 PM
Potting Soil vs. Potting Mix ewl Gardening 7 12-04-2008 05:09 AM
Pansy trouble Kathy Gardening 0 22-02-2003 07:39 PM
Pansy Black Spot? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 07:08 PM