Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 PM
K Barrett

Default Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum

I'm building a deck. Like an idiot I keep thinking everything should be true
and plumb. Ha! Whatta fool! Luckily, like with dresses, trim covers a
variety of sins.

Right now I'm waiting for cement to set.

K Barrett

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
. net...
arr, I'm doing the worst chore-scraping the house (glad its a ranch style)
before painting. Actually its a relief to get the chipped paint off the
cedar siding, and I wish someone else here was better at it than I am, but
I'm earning my orchid gazing time- Us northerners only have a few months

do this in
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Diane,

There are some plants in nature that perfer not to grow in the full sun.
When their environment changes (storm damage, logging, death of the
surrounding trees) these plants will grow toward the shade and the more
hospitable environment.

I don't know the culture for your dendrobium but it is not unreasonable

that
it would grow toward the best environment.

Now, go out and enjoy your patio and quit working so hard!

Good Growing,
Gene

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
news
Gee, that's too easy! now another thought. If the plant is getting a

little
too much sun will the new leads grow away from the sun? Or grow

towards
the
sun if it wants more? I think I have a dend King.that is like that-

looks
like its blowing in the wind. how can I correct that, if possible?

One of my problems is that I was so busy since I moved here 1 1/2 yrs

ago,
that I don't even know how much sun my patio gets during the day. I
certainly have no time to be on it!

Old 04-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Diane Mancino

build it once and look at it every day, I say so do it right. What I can't
figure is how I end up high on the ladder and the guys are doing laundry and
cooking.

Diane
newsJiNa.10175$I8.3927@rwcrnsc53...

Old 04-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 21:01:45 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

build it once and look at it every day, I say so do it right. What I can't
figure is how I end up high on the ladder and the guys are doing laundry and
cooking.

Diane

Don't complain, you could do both.
What I can't figure is why we have less fear of heights and
ladders. G
SuE
Old 04-07-2003, 11:44 PM
tbell

The only thing worse may be rehabilitating a deck with rotten joists. I've
pried and hammered off about 400 square feet of clear, heart redwood which I
can't afford to replace. Now have to replace the underpinnings, then
replace, sand down and put Preservawood on the redwood. If I'm lucky, I'll
be done before it rains!
Tom
(Please remove appendix to reply by e-mail)

Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 AM
K Barrett

wrote:

build it once and look at it every day, I say so do it right. What I

can't
figure is how I end up high on the ladder and the guys are doing laundry

and
cooking.

Diane

Don't complain, you could do both.

That's me. I'm out in the sun dragging these 4x6x16s around *by myself* then
come in and see that the boyfriend has unloaded the dryer and placed
everything for me to fold and put away. And he gave me attitude when I said
he could fold them just this once... Sheesh,

K Barrett

Old 05-07-2003, 02:44 AM
K Barrett

My hat's off to you. I don't know how you do it. (Obviously, I have
testosterone envy.) It must be great to be a man.

I'm beat. Where's the beer?

K Barrett

Old 05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Wendy

I know where you're coming from Diane, the last time my hubby was up on a
ladder, he fell off! (He was ok)
The last time I was on a ladder, spent about two hours tying up shade
cloth, then along came
the dreaded "Plantar fasciitis" & that was 8 bloody months ago!
Take care, Cheers Wendy

Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Gene Schurg

Ok KB,

When's the deck warming party? We'll all be over.

Gene

Old 05-07-2003, 10:44 PM
tbell

It has its limits! And I've even been known to fold laundry.
Join you in a beer - Pacifico all right?
Tom
Sony DSC-S85
(Please remove appendix to reply by e-mail)

Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 PM
bb

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:22:43 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I'm building a deck.

I just finished mine. Just in the nick of time considering the
temperature and humidity this time of year.

For anyone who has an interest:

http://www.floridaboats.net/orchid_house.htm

Hopefully, now that these sickly pups have a permanent home, they'll
start to like it.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

bb

Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Diane Mancino

Well i just got home to find both of my guys scraping away...but on solid
ground, so I guess its me doing the ladder dance again later.guess that's
better than them sitting or making a mess for me to clean up.

We have a foreign exchange student coming to stay with use next month for 10
months. That is one reason for the mad spruce up here. Ironically he is from
Brazil- the plant room will be just like home, since most of my orchids are
Brazilian. I know where my next dream vacation will be!

Old 06-07-2003, 02:08 AM
K Barrett

I'm sooo jealous!

This might be a dumb question, but why'd you paint the floor white? For
bouced light?

K Barrett

Old 06-07-2003, 02:08 AM
K Barrett

Boy, its looking more and more like next weekend. I'm such a wimp. I stand
in the heat and just stare at the enormity of the project. (Where's that
Pacifico when you need it?)

K Barrett

thlink.net...

Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Wendy

Fantastic work bb, your orchids look happy already! I am curious about your
white step shelves that you have. Did you make them or did you buy the set
up kit.
Cheers Wendy

ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 07:06 AM
ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 07:05 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th - H A P P Y F O U R T H O F J U L Y!!! Diane Mancino Orchids 0 05-07-2003 02:44 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th - H A P P Y F O U R T H O F J profpam Orchids 0 04-07-2003 11:44 PM
Oncidium flexorum Paulo Orchids 19 04-07-2003 06:56 PM