Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 AM
tennis

Default AOS forum

I have been unable to access the aos forum for 2 days...anyone else able to
get it?

Tennis

Old 05-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Dave

I just tried and got a blank page.

Old 05-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Eric Hunt

Tennis,

I bet they are installing their new forum software - I saw Andy Easton
posting about it over the last few weeks, and I've heard from people at the
Society meeting in SF that every post will have to be approved by a
moderator before it's made public.

I've given up on the AOS forum and I am probably not going to renew my AOS
membership. And if I am ever introduced to Andy Easton I am going to simply
excuse myself and walk away. His unprofessionalism on the AOS forum the last
few weeks has been beyond appalling.

-Eric in SF

Old 05-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Eric Hunt

Jerry,

Fully participating in vicious childish personal attacks on the forum while
posting as a staff member of the AOS. Yes, they were in response to others
doing the same, but a professional would have simply not taken the flame
bait.

-Eric in SF

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...
Could you elaborate? What did he do?

Old 05-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Bolero

In all honesty I see that forum as Cliquey and pretentious.

I don't go there much at all, they have nothing to offer me.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Michael Gerzog

tennis wrote in message ...
I have been unable to access the aos forum for 2 days...anyone else able to
get it?

Tennis

I didn't have any trouble with it yesterday or the day before. I have
had problems in the post when no one else seemed to -- I suspect it's
a problem with the networks, not the forum itself.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:08 PM
K Barrett

It goes even farther than that. Some of the advice he gave in the magazine's
Q&A column advised building against code, and made light of a certain
state's politics (It may have been California, but I can't recall right now)
both out of the range for a Q&A column. While Andy might be a great
raconteur, unfortunately it doesn't carry over into print. Eric has alluded
to his unprofessional responses on the AOS Forum. Some of which, IMHO, were
down right mean.

I like Andy Easton. He has been very nice to me. He has helped me of his own
volition without my asking for it. Therefore the meanness of some of his
posts on the Forum I take to be out of character, since my personal
experience with the man has been otherwise. I can only assume that working
for the AOS was more stressful that he imagined when he took on the job. I
may be wrong, but that's how I'm choosing to rectify the dichotomy between
my personal experience with the guy and his actions (or people's
interpretations of his actions).

That said, I too have stopped posting on the Forum. I find it cliquish.
Which could be an amazing comment coming from me, because OrchidSafari has
been labeled cliquish to the extreme. That's why I persisted in posting to
the Forum, because I knew OrchidSafari wasn't really cliquish, we'd talk to
anyone, so I assumed the same misperception applied to the Forum. Not so. I
got sick of posting to the Forum only to have members of the clique say the
same thing I just had, yet they got acknowledged while my post went unread,
for all I knew. I don't know about you guys, but it takes me a long time to
write a post. I read and re-read it several times to be sure it says what I
really want it to, then after that I read it again. It probably it takes me
30-45 minutes to write what seemingly is a simple post. So why work so hard
just to be ignored? So I left. Not that anyone noticed, LOL!! But my orchids
have been watered and fed every week now that I'm no longer wasting time
writing for the Forum, and I've won 2 AOS awards. And I've lost 31.2 pounds
since I stopped hanging out on the computer in general. So there.

A note about OrchidSafari, for those of you who've tried it and gave up.
Please come back, because I'm sick of talking to the same old people. *G* To
my everlasting chagrin 95% of the talk on OS isn't about orchids. But hey. I
don't moderate the talk. We just have a Credo - a code of civility - and if
people want to talk about their grandkids, then there you are.... HOWEVER! I
take the attitude that you get the chat room you make, and if you don't like
the subject stop lurking and change it back to orchids. But do it nicely
please, we *do* have a Credo to uphold. *G*. That said I think our classes
are still one of the best orchid features on the web (held the second
Wednesday of the month, and please don't interupt the speaker!!). One of
these days I'll get control of the domain name, and then I'll be able to
move the archives all to one place, instead of having so many scattered
archives.

Lastly, rgo remains the best place on the web for orchid information, IMHO.
The tenor of conversation can be at any level here, and it can get pretty
complex, which I like. Plus no one has even tried to set themselves up as
newsgroup king because they'll get ripped a new asshole if they do (*G*). It
like the wild west.

Well, I seem to have blathered on long enough. So I'll shut up now.

K Barrett

Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Gene Schurg

I've read the AOS postings for the past couple of months. Some of the stuff
that goes on there is childish and just plain stupid. It's a shame that
adults can't rise above the comments that are made there.

I also find the format there difficult to read. You have to scroll through
so many postings to find a topic that interest you.

All in all, I agree with KB that RGO is the place to hang out. Although we
do have a few tense posts now and then, overall this is a great group and
meets all of my needs.

OK.....GROUP HUG!

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Al

Okay, now it's time for the death ray...

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
thlink.net...

OK.....GROUP HUG!

Old 05-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Diana Kulaga

Some of the advice he gave in the magazine's Q&A column advised building
against code

I saw that. Whew. What one might say quietly and privately was thrown out
for all to ponder, including any building inspectors who might have read it.

About the AOS forum, I made an attempt to get involved a couple of years
ago, found it non-inclusive, political and a pain to navigate. Here,
newbies are welcomed with open arms. So here I am, and here I stay.

Diana

Old 06-07-2003, 02:08 AM
K Barrett

LOL! Warn people before you do that! Half my beverage came out my nose!
(Water, not Pacifico, alas!)

K Barrett

Old 07-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

got sick of posting to the Forum only to have members of the clique say

the
same thing I just had, yet they got acknowledged while my post went

for all I knew. I

Have never posted to the AOS Forum but have noticed this happening to me
sometimes on RGO or ABPO

Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 01:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 11:01 PM
AOS forum down tennis maynard Orchids 9 06-03-2004 06:01 PM
AOS forum down tennis maynard Orchids 3 05-03-2004 07:53 PM
AOS webpage/Forum down? K Barrett Orchids 3 08-02-2003 02:49 PM