Old 08-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Miniature orchids?

Larry Dighera writes:
Geir - about to start offloading SH grown yellow-coloured epidendrum
keikis on friends in a couple of months.

Would that be Epidendrum secundum 'Pretty Princes'?

Nah. The only epis I can get locally are noname hybrids (tagged
"ballerina"), and most of the flower colors available are pink, white
and orange/yellow. This is half the reason why I am having a go at
flasks.

I couldn't find the Troy Meyers site?

Geir

Old 08-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Tracey

But it makes me curious, I think I'll buy one
this summer.

You might want to think about whether you have the room
or not. I'm growing a couple of vanilla orchids and they
get very long very fast. I have read that they won't bloom
until they are 20-25 feet long. I have one that is in a
shallow planter, wrapped around and around the planter.
I would estimate it's a good 12-15 feet and still no sign
of a flower, just more vining.

Tracey

Old 09-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Dave Lockwood

A grower suggested to me that it works rather well when you make a spiral of
wire that spirals inward and is wrapped in sphagnum or the like. You need
to be consistent in directing the growth but if you're careful you can get a
full sized vanilla planifolia on a spiral about four feet (1.5 meters)
across. This is quite a bit bigger than the run of the mill masdevalia but
still manageable. I have one in my small greenhouse providing some
additional shade for the Phals. It grows fast (for an orchid) but is still
no race horse. Think of it as a strange Philodendron. Fruit will be about
as likely!
Dave

Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

thanks for the info from both of you. I might have to wait till i have some
more room.
Peter

"Tracey" wrote in message
But it makes me curious, I think I'll buy one
this summer.

You might want to think about whether you have the room
or not. I'm growing a couple of vanilla orchids and they
get very long very fast. I have read that they won't bloom
until they are 20-25 feet long. I have one that is in a
shallow planter, wrapped around and around the planter.
I would estimate it's a good 12-15 feet and still no sign
of a flower, just more vining.

Tracey

Orchids - Orchids!idx001.jpg (1/1) Internetado[_2_] Orchid Photos 0 06-11-2011 11:22 PM
Orchids - The fabulous world of Orchids report Kelly Orchids 2 31-08-2004 03:02 PM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 04:52 PM
miniature ficus Allen Bonsai 0 10-02-2003 06:25 PM
Indoor Miniature Roses A Stafford Roses 2 06-02-2003 09:06 PM