Old 03-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Gideon Singer

Default leaf dieback on newly deflasked orchids

I deflasked a flask last week and noticed today that the leaftips of
the plants are begining to look off colour like they in the process of
a dieback. Is there any way to save these plants from complete
dieback? I did put them into a solution of fungacide before I potted
them up, but that does not seem to have stopped the tip problem.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful Vancouver BC

Old 03-03-2003, 08:31 PM
WNeptune

I deflasked a flask last week and noticed today that the leaftips of
the plants are begining to look off colour like they in the process of
a dieback. Is there any way to save these plants from complete
dieback? I did put them into a solution of fungacide before I potted
them up, but that does not seem to have stopped the tip problem.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful Vancouver BC

I know this is a common practice, but I always wonder what it is one is
treating when they subject poor little seedlings out of flask, where they were
in a sterile environment, to a potentially toxic fungicide.
I would suspect that the changes you are seeing in the leaves this early are
the results of toxicity to the fungicide, and I doubt there is anything one can
do other than hope they will recover on their own.
In 30 years of growing orchids I have deflasked a lot of seedlings, and have
never treated any of them with anything-no insecticides, no fungicides, no root
hormones, nothing-other than placing them in a small enclosure of their own for
a short period of time to maintain humidity until they are established.
The results do not seem to indicate a change from this practice.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:16 PM
Mick Fournier

Wilford,

I agree 100% with you. Subjecting newly deflasked seedlings fresh out of
the flask to fungicide is pure torture to the plants.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

--------------------------------

Old 03-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Gideon Singer

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:10:04 UTC, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Wilford,

I agree 100% with you. Subjecting newly deflasked seedlings fresh out of
the flask to fungicide is pure torture to the plants.

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

This practice will cease forthwith! Thank you for a quick reply on
something that I should have thought of before.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful Vancouver BC

Old 04-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Dewitt

This practice will cease forthwith! Thank you for a quick reply on
something that I should have thought of before.

My deflasking experience consist of exactly one flask, but . . . The
person I purchased the flask from recommended using a fungicide when
deflasking. Also, since the flask was shipped through the mail, it
arrived in a jumble. I figured the mildest fungicide possible would
be a cinnamon powder extract made with plain water (rather than
alcohol). A worst it did no harm.

deg

Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Gideon Singer

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 00:30:01 UTC, Dewitt
wrote:

This practice will cease forthwith! Thank you for a quick reply on
something that I should have thought of before.

My deflasking experience consist of exactly one flask, but . . . The
person I purchased the flask from recommended using a fungicide when
deflasking. Also, since the flask was shipped through the mail, it
arrived in a jumble. I figured the mildest fungicide possible would
be a cinnamon powder extract made with plain water (rather than
alcohol). A worst it did no harm.

deg

Intresting enough I have deflasked other orchids with the water based
fugacide method and it did no harm, but it all depends on the orchids,
I guess, and the type of leaves they have. The orchid affected this
time is a Encyclia cochleata 'Pacific Spirit' x 'Athena'. I am just
hoping that the plants recover soon.
--
Gideon Singer
In Beautiful Vancouver BC

Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Viburnum dieback Mike Prager Gardening 2 23-09-2003 03:06 AM
Help! Brown spots on deflasked Paphs Elpaninaro Orchids 3 14-04-2003 03:44 PM
deflasked - changed to leafless orchids Susan Erickson Orchids 5 05-03-2003 05:16 PM
[IBC] Maple dieback (in my garage?!) Joe St. Lawrence Bonsai 2 11-02-2003 06:55 PM