Old 11-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Bob Bailey

Default Fertilizer Injectors

I am looking for a simpler way to fertilize my orchids. I have about 60
plants. I want to get some type of fertilizer injector (siphon) that I can
hook to my hose to water/fertilize. I have a wand on the hose with about 6
different settings. I want something cheaper, I'm not looking to spend $100
on something. I've read that the siphons do not work well if the hose
attachment has a mister attachment. I would like something that will work
well if I am "misting" vandas or "showering" cattleyas. Any recommendations
are appreciated.

Bob
Clearwater, FL

Old 11-07-2003, 05:18 AM
Gene Schurg

Oh Bob....I had the same problem about a year ago and we discussed it at
length here on RGO.

I tried the siphon type.....with a water break there wasn't enough pressure
to suck out the fertilizer mix. I tried a couple of different water breaks
and a large diameter hose, that finally worked but I was unhappy with the
result. I wasn't sure how much fertilizer was being applied and if it was
being applied evenly.

What I finally ended up doing was getting a 32 gallon plastic trash can for
$10. Mark the side of the trash can at 5 gallon increments so you don't
always have to fill it to the top. I fill it with water and add the liquid
fertilizer to the concentration I want to use that day. I drop a $50 sump
pump into the bucket and plug the sump pump into a GFI plug. For 600
plants I use one trash can (32 gallons) of mix in the winter. During the
summer I am using 2 trash cans full to water. I think I am moving slower
during the summer.

Good growing,
Gene

om...

Old 11-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I do the same for my indoor growing area except that I should get a bigger
bucked. I make up 4 or so 4 gallon buckets and use the sump in one 5 gal
bucket and just keep filling it. Works fairly well. Now the part I did
wrong was to not build in a way to drain the collection reservoirs
(currently I siphon and use a different pump that can run unsubmersed) and
not make the bottom shelf at floor level (no way to siphon the water out).
Also, when I siphon the resevoirs, I dump the contents outside in the garden
/ yard rather than down the drain which I'd be less likely to do if I had a
drainage system...

In my greenhouse, I use a hozon siphoner which seems to work just fine. The
vandas get fertilized the 2x per week that everything else gets it. The
daily misting is just with water. If you don't have enough pressure or a
large enough dia hose or try to use a small dia on/off valve at the end of
the hose, it won't work. I bought one of those fancy coiled hoses and it
didn't work w/ the siphoner

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
[...]

om...

Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Ray

Bob,

The siphon-type devices work on a venturi effect - the flow is through a
narrow restriction, and the relative pressure drop created when the water
"expands" into the larger volume past it draws the fertilizer into the
stream. That venturi relies on the rate of flow through the orifice to
create the pressure drop. If you reduce the flow rate, whether that's by
turning down the upstream spigot or restricting the flow downstream, the
amount of pressure drop will be reduced, resulting in a reduced or
altogether eliminated draw of the fertilizer.

The submersible pump is a barrel of premixed nutrient solution is the best
way to go, although if you want a decent pump, you might approach the $100
you don't want to spend. You can probably get a used 55-gallon plastic drum
from your local car wash.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Gene Schurg

I forgot to add that with the 32 gallon trash can you can store the pump,
garden hose and power cord all in the trash can and put the lid on it.
Keeps it out of the way ... neat and clean. I drag it back into the
basement and all the gear is out of the way.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 11-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Wendy

Great idea Gene, also if you buy a heavy duty one with wheels it would be
even easier. Cheers Wendy
thlink.net...

Old 11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Wendy

I use this method with the barrels & pump. Another advantage is that I pre
fill the barrel &
let it sit overnight & the chlorine dissipates . I cut the top out & use a
trashcan lid to stop debris.
Paid $10 from the carwash also paid a guy $5 who had collected some
empties from Jack In the Box. These were clean & opaque in colour so you can
see your water levels.
I had a bunch that I use to save my RO water in a few years ago, now
they are now cut in half & used as planters.
Cheers Wendy
"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 14-07-2003, 11:32 AM
James Aldridge

I went through the whole cycle of injector schemes. 1) mix in garbage
can and pump out with sump pump (cons: not able to adjust fertilizing
as often as I'd like; went through a lot of $$ pumps; low water
pressure), 2) siphon attachments (cons: inaccurate esp at low flow
rates), 3) a dilution-bottle scheme (cons: same as previous).

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Dosmatic injector and I couldn't
be happier.

Jim
James Aldridge, Fort Worth, Texas, USA
- www.JamesAldridge.us