GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water before fertilizing? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/36367-water-before-fertilizing.html)

Robert Arquette 12-07-2003 08:08 PM

water before fertilizing?

I have heard opinions both pro and con as to whether it is always
necessary to water before fertilizing especially if the fertilizer is
applied in a very light formula.
Any advice would be helpful. tkx. B. Arquette

K Barrett 12-07-2003 08:56 PM

water before fertilizing?

Sounds like you just have to make up your mind what you want to do.
As for me, I water before I fertilize. Works better for me. Less leaf tip
die back.

K Barrett

Ray 12-07-2003 09:32 PM

water before fertilizing?

If you consider that the velamen is a bunch of dead cells that act like a
sponge, then it makes sense that watering first will fill the voids in the
sponge, allowing it to soak up little fertilizer solution - a wasteful
situation in my opinion.

If, on the other hand, you water with a very dilute nutrient solution, it is
much more efficient and more-or-less eliminates root- or leaf tip burn.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Tom Randy 13-07-2003 01:56 AM

water before fertilizing?

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:28:28 -0400, Robert Arquette wrote:

I have heard opinions both pro and con as to whether it is always
necessary to water before fertilizing especially if the fertilizer is
applied in a very light formula.
Any advice would be helpful. tkx. B. Arquette

I always water first, I was told years ago it coats the roots so they
don't get burned by the fertilizer. If you delute your fertilzer I suppose
it can't hurt I guess.

What ever works for you is the answer to this question.

Bolero 13-07-2003 02:20 AM

water before fertilizing?

If it's a very light formula I personally don't think it's necessary but it
can't really hurt either.

Sometimes I water first and sometimes I don't and I honestly haven't noticed
any difference in the plants.

Dewitt 13-07-2003 02:32 AM

water before fertilizing?

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:27:48 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

If you consider that the velamen is a bunch of dead cells that act like a
sponge, then it makes sense that watering first will fill the voids in the
sponge, allowing it to soak up little fertilizer solution - a wasteful
situation in my opinion.

My take is that this effect probably shows up more with mounted plants
than those that are potted. With potted plants the media holds the
the fertilizer solution until the orchid has a chance to absorb it.
With mounted plants, the fertilizer solution runs off the previously
saturated roots before they can absorb any more fluid.

deg

LYNN32141 13-07-2003 03:56 AM

water before fertilizing?

In article , Tom Randy
writes:

If you delute your fertilzer I suppose
it can't hurt I guess.

I soak my pots in a mild fertilizer solution and then let them drain.. I've
never had any trouble with my plants getting burned.. I always use a little
less than the recommended amount of fertilizer anyway.. Always figuring less is
best.

Lynn

Jonathan Phua 13-07-2003 03:56 AM

water before fertilizing?

won't that spread virus or fungus? The pot dipping.

Jon

Eric Muehlbauer 13-07-2003 04:44 AM

water before fertilizing?

I follow the advice given by the late Dr. Fowlie (whose cultural advice
was more logical than some of his taxonomic ideas).....epiphytic
orchids, with velamen, get fertilizer solutions when their roots are
dry....the idea being that, if already wet, the velamin may already be
saturated and unable, or less able, to absorb fertilizer solution. Paphs
and other "terrestrials" that lack velamen are fertilized when already
damp. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Jerry Hoffmeister 13-07-2003 08:08 AM

water before fertilizing?

If you consider that the velamen is a bunch of dead cells that act like a
sponge, then it makes sense that watering first will fill the voids in

the
sponge, allowing it to soak up little fertilizer solution - a wasteful
situation in my opinion.

My take is that this effect probably shows up more with mounted plants
than those that are potted. With potted plants the media holds the
the fertilizer solution until the orchid has a chance to absorb it.
With mounted plants, the fertilizer solution runs off the previously
saturated roots before they can absorb any more fluid.

Seems to me you'd have the same issue with the media absorbing the water
during the first watering then the fertilizier water mostly just running
thru. I'd agree with Ray except that if things are REALLY dry for some
reason, I use just water then go back to my regular schedule w/ the next
watering.

Robert Arquette 14-07-2003 02:52 AM

water before fertilizing?

Eric Muehlbauer wrote:

I follow the advice given by the late Dr. Fowlie (whose cultural advice
was more logical than some of his taxonomic ideas).....epiphytic
orchids, with velamen, get fertilizer solutions when their roots are
dry....the idea being that, if already wet, the velamin may already be
saturated and unable, or less able, to absorb fertilizer solution. Paphs
and other "terrestrials" that lack velamen are fertilized when already
damp. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my question. I was
particularly interested in Eric's reply as it differentiated between
terrestrials and epiphytes.
From Robert Arquette.

Jerry Hoffmeister 14-07-2003 07:12 AM

water before fertilizing?

I follow the advice given by the late Dr. Fowlie (whose cultural advice
was more logical than some of his taxonomic ideas).....epiphytic
orchids, with velamen, get fertilizer solutions when their roots are
dry....the idea being that, if already wet, the velamin may already be
saturated and unable, or less able, to absorb fertilizer solution. Paphs
and other "terrestrials" that lack velamen are fertilized when already
damp. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Thanks to all who took the time to reply to my question. I was
particularly interested in Eric's reply as it differentiated between
terrestrials and epiphytes.
From Robert Arquette.

yeah, that made me think as well. I sometimes have leaf tip browning issues
but it's always Paphs or Phrags. It's extra work but I may consider doing
the water before fert just for them.

LYNN32141 14-07-2003 06:44 PM

water before fertilizing?

In article , "Jonathan Phua"
writes:

won't that spread virus or fungus? The pot dipping.

how will that happen if I allow the pot to drip out of the fertilizer solution?
nothing is going back into the fertlizer solution..

Ray 15-07-2003 02:22 AM

water before fertilizing?

When you dip into a common bucket, you risk transferring pathogens
immediately upon contact. Removing the pot does allow SOME drainage back
into the bucket as well.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

LYNN32141 15-07-2003 05:28 AM

water before fertilizing?

In article , "Ray"
writes:

When you dip into a common bucket, you risk transferring pathogens
immediately upon contact.

Interesting Ray.. I didn't know that.. So if I use a specific bucket strictly
for the soaking and fertlizing of my orchids and no other use, then I can
contaminate them??

Hmmm, me thinks I'll rethink how I fertilize my babies.

Lynn