Old 13-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Nina Baltes

Default Epidendrum/Encyclia ID

Hello everyone,

I purchased a plant labeled as "Epidendrum lepifolium" from the
collection of the Herrenhausen botanical Garden here in Hannover,
Germany. I can't seem to find that name anywhere.

The pseudobulbs are about 8 cm (~3") long, and accoridng to someone
who bought one too, the blooms smell like honey around mid-day (I
haven't been able to catch it yet ), and they don't open
completely. I hope someone around here can identify the plant .

Here are some pictures:

flower:

http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/temp/lepifolium.jpg
http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/temp/epi1.jpg
http://www.chaotropic.net/pics/temp/epi2.jpg

entire plant:

http://www.chaotropic.net/temp/epi3.jpg

Oh, and here's what's blooming in Herrenhausen at the moment:
http://www.chaotropic.net/orchideenhaus1.html

Nina
--
C'est les microbes qui auront le dernier mot.
Louis Pasteur
Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Eric Hunt

Nina,

We have that exact same species blooming at OrchidMania (www.orchids.org)
here in San Francisco, but we just have it as "Encyclia sp."

All I can tell you is that it's now a Prosthechea species.

Once I get my pictures back, along with your pictures, I will start
researching the literature I have.

-Eric in SF

Old 13-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Nina Baltes

Eric Hunt wrote:

We have that exact same species blooming at OrchidMania (www.orchids.org)
here in San Francisco,

Ah!

but we just have it as "Encyclia sp."

Oh.

Well, at least it's not some freaky never-before-seen plant. I saw
the mother plant too, it was massive.

All I can tell you is that it's now a Prosthechea species.

Once I get my pictures back, along with your pictures, I will start
researching the literature I have.

Excellent, thank you very much. There's a date in 1985 on my
plant's tag which may be the collection date of the original
specimen, maybe "lepifolium" once was a valid name?

Nina