Old 13-07-2003, 11:13 PM
TRAINMAN9

Default Anyone using ATT as ISP

I'm currently in the free trial for 30 days with ATT as my ISP. I am currently
using AOL and have been finding that the annoying flashing ads are a bit too
much. I tried to access this newsgroup while on ATT by going through Google.

Is there some other way? Is anyone else using ATT? Comments?

Thanks
Old 13-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Diane Mancino

I used to have WorldNet & aol, att full version didn't used to have popups
but the light version did- you paid for your service with looking at the
ads. very annoying . Nothing wrong with the full service, I just prefer
high speed access. How about earthlink- they advertise no popups. With AOL,
your definitely not getting all the internet. If I couldn't have a cable
modem, I'd be investigating Verison DSL.

any other ISP you can access this group through outlook express- aol does
not support OE, probably because it can't control it like they control
everything else.

Diane

Old 14-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Mick Fournier

Trainman,

Install Mozilla 1.4 http://www.mozilla.org/ browser and click the
preference | Privacy & Security | Popup Windows | to "Block unrequested
windows"... then when you get on the main ATT website with any flashing
banner ads you can right mouse click on the banner and select "Block images
from this server". And voila... no more crap flashing in your face. Or,
from your personal preferences in Mozilla choose to run website images only
one loop instead of continuous loops. Microsoft will never change its
browser by adding these nice pop-up killer features as Mozilla has done.

Mick
-------------------------------

Old 14-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

I use ATT, have for years as I'm quite happy with it and its reasonable
price...until I can finally afford broadband. I have no problem getting
the newsgroup, but I use Netscape 6.2, with its email and newsgroup
program....unlike the rest of the world that is enamored with IE and its
virus loving Outlook Express.......In my setup, its simple....go to
netnews.worldnet.att.net in the email/newsgroup program, and click on
"subscribe"....it may take awhile, but you'll see all the rec. alt.,
etc. newsgroups listed...just click on the ones you want. ATT now has a
link for Popup stopper for IE..its free. If you use Netscape, you can
download the program from the Popup Stopper website (search on Google)
....its a small file, downloads in seconds even on dial-up. Gets rid of
almost all pop-ups, not as many pop-unders, but its free...Take care,
Eric Muehlbauer

Old 14-07-2003, 10:32 PM
TRAINMAN9

Trainman,

Install Mozilla 1.4 http://www.mozilla.org/ browser and click the
preference | Privacy & Security | Popup Windows | to "Block unrequested
windows"... then when you get on the main ATT website with any flashing
banner ads you can right mouse click on the banner and select "Block images
from this server". And voila... no more crap flashing in your face. Or,
from your personal preferences in Mozilla choose to run website images only
one loop instead of continuous loops. Microsoft will never change its
browser by adding these nice pop-up killer features as Mozilla has done.

Mick

Is anyone using this browser with AOL and if so will it stop their banner ads?

Thanks

Old 28-07-2003, 04:22 PM
TRAINMAN9

Install Mozilla 1.4 http://www.mozilla.org/ browser and click the
preference | Privacy & Security | Popup Windows | to "Block unrequested

I installed Mozilla 1.4 and even indicated that I wanted it as my default
browser but AOL overides this. I could not turn off the flashing ads by right
clicking on the mouse button.

Besides dumping AOL does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 29-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Diane Mancino

I used to use aol, but always hated its interface- I think I set the browser
to a LAN setting with aol minimized. also have ie as default- but aol always
rears its ugly head and repairs itself. give the LAN setting a try

Old 29-07-2003, 01:02 PM
TRAINMAN9

I used to use aol, but always hated its interface- I think I set the browser
to a LAN setting with aol minimized. also have ie as default- but aol always

I had a session with one of the AOL techs yesterday. They don't allow the use
of any other browser inside AOL only on the internet. They know that if they
allow other browsers that they will lose the ability to display advertising and
banner pop-ups.

The only reason I stay with them at this point are all the people that I've met
on the train boards. It is nearly impossible for this group to change to
another ISP.

Thanks for the help.
Old 29-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Diane Mancino

Your right you can't use another browser in aol -just log on and minimize it
and open IE or Mozella. I downloaded mozella after seeing it here in this
newsgroup- its ok but you have to train it- and IE still works a little
better in my opinion...but they are both installed.
You should be able to use IE with aol installed no problem, mozella the same
( after all Netscape ( mozella based) is owned by AOL- at least mozella
doesn't come with the aol add ons)

To aol's credit and to make it relevant to RGO- the newsgroup was easy & a
good backup when Adelphia was down

[IBC] ATT: Newsgroup Admin Nina Bonsai 2 20-11-2005 02:22 PM
Att: aioe.org jabriol Ponds 0 29-03-2005 04:04 PM
OT ATT wireless credit KenCo Ponds 0 10-09-2003 02:51 AM
Att: Guido Allegra Roses 1 27-04-2003 06:20 PM
ATT: Allegra - Cherokee Rose Mike Roses 4 11-04-2003 06:08 AM