Old 19-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Shea

Default Two questions from a rank beginner

I've been lurking around since I received my first orchid on Mother's Day,
knowing that eventually I would have a question for you. Now, I actually
have two:

The first question regards a phalaenopsis that I received from my husband
in early May. It looked very healthy, with two spikes and at least a dozen
blooms, with some buds. I did a little research and put it on a coffee
table where it would get indirect light from an eastern exposure but no
direct sun. I watered in every few days, checking to make sure it wasn't
getting too soggy. The flowers lasted through all of May and June, finally
fading one at a time starting in early July. I still have 3 blooms left. I
cut one of the spikes back when it lost its last bloom. One of the leaves
is turning yellow starting from the base of the leaf. The other leaves look
unaffected and perfectly healthy. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong and
how to correct my error before any more damage occurs?

The second question regards my second orchid. It is a dendrobium (Burana
Wan) that had lost all its blooms and was looking a bit neglected. I got it
at a local discount store for $4.99. I figure for that price I can try to
help the poor thing. I put this one on a table facing a west window. There
is an overhang, so it doesn't get much direct sun at all, but lots of light.
It has some nice fat green little tubers??? or roots??? (I don't know what
they are called sorry) coming from the bottom of one stem. They appear to
be reaching for the medium. There is one stalk that has no growth at all.
The other two have leaves that appear to be burned at the tips, and their
color is a bit yellowish/green, otherwise they appear strong and thick. Can
this orchid be saved? If so, how?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I've gotten some books from the local
library, but sometimes they give too much information. I just found myself
getting confused.

Old 19-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Wendy

Welcome to our group Shea, you will get some great help here.
I can't help with indoor growing culture but the biggest killer is
overwatering!
Be very patient & remember that orchids take a while to grow, bloom & die!
Cheers Wendy
om...

Old 19-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Ray

Shea,

First of all, welcome to this wonderful addiction and the newsgroup! Never
hesitate to ask anything.

Loss of a lower leaf on a phal is a reasonably normal part of the growth
process, and you should start seeing new leaves growing from the top soon.
If it continues with other leaves, it may be a sign that the root system is
compromised, usually indicating root rot due to overwatering and/or
decomposing medium that is not allowing free air exchange to the root
system. You'll have to be the judge of that, and can share more info if you
want more advice in that arena.

I would also suggest that the phal could probably be moved to somewhat
brighter conditions. I picture the coffee table in the middle of the room,
maybe ten feet from the window. If that's a good guess, then for all
practical purposes, your plant is getting almost no light at all. Direct,
early-morning sun is not too much for a phal, assuming it wouldn't get the
direct sun all morning, so once it's stopped blooming, you can probably
consider moving it closer to the window. The cooling effect of air
conditioning actually helps that a bit.

As to the dendrobium, I'm not a great source of info, so will let others
take over, but it sounds like you're described new root growth, which is a
good sign. The stalks of the dendrobium at pseudobulbs, which serve as
storage vessels for water and nutrition for the whole plant, even long after
they have bloomed and lost all of their leaves. Actually, each is its own
plant, with the individuals joined via a rhizome. That is the typical
growth habit of sympodial orchids, as opposed to the monopodial growth habit
of the phalaenopsis.

This I can tell you, though: more light! I see from your email address that
you're in the Tampa area, so maybe transitioning it to full sun isn't a
great idea, but up here in Pennsylvania, the 2 or three I have are up high
in the greenhouse, getting almost full sun.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 19-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Shea,

Ray has already given you great advice on the Phal, but here's my 2 cents on
the Dend. We live over in Port St. Lucie, and our orchids live outside year
round. If you have a screened in pool with good sun exposure, or a lanai or
even a balcony where the Dend can live, you might want to move it outside
gradually. Dends like high light conditions. If you move it out, though,
don't leave it completely unprotected (as in full sun, no screening or other
minimizer). As for the canes, unless they are in some way diseased, and it
doesn't sound that way, leave them be. Dends can and often do bloom on bare
canes.

For both plants, if you have not already done so, a repotting is probably in
order, if only to check the root systems. Amazing what fresh media can do!

Best,

Diana

Old 20-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Diane Mancino

Diana, I have a Burana den- it is bare caned- got an idea when these get new
leaves. the plant has good roots but seems to be dormant. Got it in the
winter at Kmart on the out of bloom shelf. What about feeding it? Might give
it some super thrive to give it a jump start

Diane

hlink.net...

Old 20-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Shea

This is great information. Thanks so much. I'll move the phal closer to
the light. The coffee table is about 6 ft. from the sliding doors, but
since the doors lead to a covered screened porch, you are probably right
about the light. Also, it has been a crummy summer sunshine-wise. I'll
move it over here to my desk, which is right in front of a window
overlooking the port (eastern exposure). Ray, you helped a lot and put my
mind at ease on the leaf. It is definitely only the one. I will watch the
sunlight, though. Down here plants that normally need "full sun" can
sometimes literally burn to a crisp if we follow that rule.

As for the dendrobium, I'm in the process of moving it closer to outside.
I'll eventually put it on the screened porch. Getting the input from a
fellow Floridian on this was invaluable! Thanks so much, Diana! I have a
niece who works for St. Lucie county, by the way (and let's go Mets).

I'll be shopping for new medium and a fertilizer for my babies. Thanks
again. I'll keep reading and learning from you great people.

Old 22-07-2003, 11:09 PM
Shea

I've progressed to actually putting the Dendrobium outside. I introduced it
to my other "orphan" - a mostly dead jade plant that Walmart was practically
giving away. It is now in the best of health and growing like crazy. They
seem to be getting along quite well, so I have high hopes.
The yellow leaf finally fell off the Phal. I'm trying to give it more
light. This is difficult lately since we've had stormy days nearly
constantly this summer. I guess the artificial light of indoors helps. I
would put it outside also, but I'm not sure if this would be a good move.
It is awfully hot.

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
I like the term "antelope type Dendrobium" At least on the cork mount it

is
interesting to look at out of bloom. Put a few together for some wall art
( maybe no one will count how many plants), I'll keep giving them care- I
guess right now is the time to water away. It's nice to let the rain

showers
do my work.

I'm reading about moss- I have tons of it in my yard, I'm sure its full of
bugs though and don't know if it would thrive in the house.

Diane
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Diane,

Burana kids are pretty hardy Dends. Important to know that the bare

canes
will not grow new leaves but may flower anyway; you'll get new canes
growing from the bottom (off the rhizome). Sometimes our *rescue*

plants
(oh, yes, I do it too!) need some time to recover before starting to

grow
again, and if everything else looks good that's probably what's

happening.
Lots of light and the usual Dend culture will pay off in the end.

I went to a sale about 8 months ago, a sad case where the plant owner

was
very ill and a mutual friend was selling the collection for him, and

took
pity on a $4 Dend that was near to death. It hasn't bloomed yet, but it

has
new growth and will be okay. Patience!

Diana

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Diane Mancino

Shea,
My instincts tell me we cant do wrong in the summer since the dends like a
good watering ( well draining medium of course). Normal weather you will
have your dry days and wet days. gradually move into a sunny spot on a dend-
they like light and feed 2x a month in the summer. Remember you can get a
sunburn on a cloudy day- the sun is there. Its like a summer break from all
those trips to the sink. I damaged a plant on a unusually hot day that I
should have shaded. I'd watch for the unusual- like hale and high winds.
bummer when a plant falls to the ground and gets broken

I've only been growing these for the past year myself, so I haven't seen the
annual cycle on my dends. it will be a real treat to see what I have
developed with a years worth of care. If anyone has taken a orchid out of
rainy weather it would be interesting to hear.

om...

Old 23-07-2003, 03:03 AM
Diana Kulaga

My Dends need to put up with whatever the weather dictates, unless we have a
winter like last year (cold, cold, cold), when I foolishly took them in.
Better to have left them outside but semi protected (against the house,
perhaps). Now, I have too many to cart around, so am looking at ways to
warm their area if it gets cold next winter. In general, Dends are the most
forgiving of all my genera.

I grow them in rock or Aliflor, with the exception of the hirstute Dends,
which have made it know n that they want more moisture (yes, they talk to
me). Growing in a fast drying medium works well in FL, for Dends and
Catts. I know it's different in other climates. Remember, in nature it
doesn't necessarily rain every Tuesday.............

Diana

Old 23-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Diane Mancino

Diana,

You have a benefit of being able to keep your plants out year long-I get the
benefit of the great variety of temperature- minus 20, don't think my
collection could take the wintering, but we do have native orchids here.
Some of the orchids need that temp drop-cymbidiums are a favorite up here.

You do get that occasional freeze in Fl. I guess those days you dine in
front of the TV while you fill the table up with pots.

rthlink.net...

Old 23-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Diane Mancino

Speaking of hirstute Dends, my Green Lantern has 2 keikis that I thought
were new shoots. Is this another dend that likes to make keikis or was it my
care.

Old 23-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Myrmecodia

"Shea" wrote in message .com...
This is great information. Thanks so much. I'll move the phal closer to
the light. The coffee table is about 6 ft. from the sliding doors, but
since the doors lead to a covered screened porch, you are probably right
about the light. Also, it has been a crummy summer sunshine-wise.

If you have a covered, screened porch, I would move the Phalaenopsis
out there. Just put it on the side of the porch that gets the least
direct sun. IIRC insect netting acts roughly like 50% shade cloth,
but even so, direct sun will be too much for a Phal. The Phalaenopsis
will greatly appreciate the increased humidity outdoors at this time
of year, and you may see much better root growth. If you leave it out
in the porch until night temperatures start to drop into the 50's this
autumn, you may well get better flower production next year.

Nick