Old 26-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Diane Mancino

Default Off the wall question?

Sounds like a good trade off, Lynn on the golden Tang- It has 2 new shoots,
so I know its a happy camper. That many blooms? this was just one- what are
you feeding it and how big is it
"LYNN32141" wrote in message
Dianne,

I don't know about you, but I grow Golden Tangs, and I've had 24-30 blooms

at
one time on my orchid, and while my flowers usually stay in bloom for 3-4

weeks
at a time, it is CONSTANTLY in bloom... As soon as some of the flowers

begin to
dye, it sends up new shoots left and right.. it's amazing actually.. a

very
rewarding orchid.

It does spoil me when it comes to my once a year bloomer, and my

dendrobiums
who only bloom twice a year at this time...

Lynn

Old 26-07-2003, 02:32 PM
White Monkey

It isn't an issue in my current home, though, since my orchids are on the
second floor with me and the dining room is on the first. I dare not put
any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat, which is a

terror
to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she can reach it.

A friend of mine had a cat that would attack her cacti of many sorts. She
had to seal the rarer ones in a case and put wire around the others,
otherwise every time she left the room she'd come back to find the cat
sidling up on a cactus with a look of intense hate, and if she went out,
she'd come home to find overturned pots and carnage, and a cat in need of
yet another harrowing trip to the vet. It didn't do it with other plants,
and it did not appear to consider this fun; it really seemed to just plain
hate cacti with a passion, and feel it was on some sort of mission to
eliminate them.

My little cat SCSI is preternaturally well-behaved, but did become
entranced enough with one of the new phal.'s to knock a flower off while we
were out. She's the only cat I've ever had that's smart enough to remember
to connect the flower with an earlier action, so she WAS punished, and now
I catch her sitting as far toward the flowers as she can without putting a
foot on the table (the Big No-No) staring at them rapturously, now and then
emitting a little squeak. She hasn't touched them again in 3 weeks. She has
a fascination with flowers, and every now and then upsets a vase, but
always seems to feel bad about it in an almost dog-like way and it doesn't
repeat for a very long time, and only then when I get new and interesting
flowers.

--Katrina

---

Old 26-07-2003, 03:02 PM
disy

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Rob Halgren wrote:

Wendy wrote:

I have often read about orchid flowers blasting from the gases

emitted
from rotting fruit?

So if you have a nice blooming plant, on the coffee table & a bowl of
fruit on the dining table, with one bad apple, would it blast the
flowers?

Almost certainly...

Of course, now I read that to mean that the orchid and the apple are in
different rooms. That is probably not as big of a concern, assuming the
house has sufficient air volume. If they are on the same table, then it
is a really bad idea... *grin*

Unless the living room and dining room are adjacent and relatively open!
Every house I have lived in has had such an arrangement, to the point

where
slightly different furnishing arrangements would create the impression of

single room. And in my present home, my bedroom is as large as the dining
room and living room combined (the former is a bit on the large side and

the
latter are rather small). And in every case, the coffee table was only
about three or four metres from the dining table.

It isn't an issue in my current home, though, since my orchids are on the
second floor with me and the dining room is on the first. I dare not put
any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat, which is a terror
to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she can reach it. With
that critter, a plant in bloom would not live long enough for fruit on the
table to blast the flowers. Thanks to it, I have developed an intense
dislike for cats. They're just as bad as tree rats.

Cheers,

Ted

Ted, do not let your sister's cat deter you - my cat loves the orchids,
makes her feel like she has a jungle all to herself. She has never once
ruined any of my plant, every once in a while you will find teeth marks in a
leaf, but the plants seem to survive very well. The spider plant is the
only one that really attracts her attention and that is because of the
hanging babies and they sometimes catch a breeze from the window. It's
quite entertaining to watch her try to catch them.

Old 26-07-2003, 06:32 PM
LYNN32141

In article , "Diane Mancino"
writes:

Sounds like a good trade off, Lynn on the golden Tang- It has 2 new shoots,
so I know its a happy camper. That many blooms? this was just one- what are
you feeding it and how big is it

Dianne,

I'd be glad to send you some digital shots of it... It's about 3 years old, and
fairly big. When I first got it, it was in a 2 inch clay pot, which I
transplanted into those slat baskets. I put some spaghnum moss on the bottom
and sides, to make an inner basket. Then I put the orchid in that, and covered
it with orchid Bark, and hung it under my pine tree. It LOVES it there.. Gets
jsut the right amount of sun and shade. Temperatures can usually hit 99 or
over during summer and we are always in 100% humidity, so this provided it a
nice combination of cool, vs sunny.

This year, I split it out into 2 smaller plant groupings .. I have had blooms
already on the new plants, and see where they are sending new root feet out as
well as leaf stalks. So I see it is happy happy, and my splitting of the base
plant is working well.

On the base plant where I took the divisions, it has sent up 5 new flower
spikes.. Each flower spike normally has 2-3 flower blooms on it, so that will
be hopefully 10-15 more flowers..

I feed it miracle grow acid or miracid, or peters orchid fertilizer.. I've
tried some other others on the market too, which work fairly well ..

Lynn
Old 26-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Jim S

100% humidity sheesh where do you that it rains 24/7
in 90% Rh dew forms on everything are you exagerating?

"LYNN32141" wrote in message
In article , "Diane

Mancino"

Old 26-07-2003, 10:12 PM
LYNN32141

In article , "Jim S"
writes:

forms on everything are you exagerating?

hehehehe well somewhat... but it's so humid here where I live that you can
stand outside and do nothing and the persperation drips off your nose... LOL

Lynn
Old 27-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Diane Mancino

I'd love to see some golden Tang pictures- It doesn't get that hot up here
but It seemed like it adapts quite well. I didn't get the urge to repot on
this one- but probably should since its out of bloom- seems that a basket
isn't "over potting" I think the orchid just needs to feel the actually
pressure of being secure in the basket?

"LYNN32141" wrote in message
In article , "Diane

Mancino"