Old 24-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Wendy

Default Off the wall question?

I have often read about orchid flowers blasting from the gases emitted
from rotting fruit?

So if you have a nice blooming plant, on the coffee table & a bowl of
fruit on the dining table, with one bad apple, would it blast the flowers?

Also, some people force bloom their Tillandsias (Bromeliad/air plant) to
have
them blooming for a show & they would put the plant in a plastic
bag with a piece of apple?

Why?
Cheers Wendy

Old 24-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Rob Halgren wrote:

Wendy wrote:

I have often read about orchid flowers blasting from the gases emitted
from rotting fruit?

So if you have a nice blooming plant, on the coffee table & a bowl of
fruit on the dining table, with one bad apple, would it blast the
flowers?

Almost certainly...

Of course, now I read that to mean that the orchid and the apple are in
different rooms. That is probably not as big of a concern, assuming the
house has sufficient air volume. If they are on the same table, then it
is a really bad idea... *grin*

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 24-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:

I have often read about orchid flowers blasting from the gases emitted
from rotting fruit?

So if you have a nice blooming plant, on the coffee table & a bowl of
fruit on the dining table, with one bad apple, would it blast the flowers?

Almost certainly... Unless you had a very large dining room and
excellent air circulation. Here at MSU, we have whole rooms which have
signs that have an apple with a diagonal line through them. "NO
APPLES". Some people think that is funny. The apple doesn't have to
be bad, a firm ripe apple is also a bad idea. One bad apple really does
spoil the bunch, and one not so bad apple can spoil a whole walk-in
cooler full of flowers...

Also, some people force bloom their Tillandsias (Bromeliad/air plant) to
have
them blooming for a show & they would put the plant in a plastic
bag with a piece of apple?

Ethylene promotes ripening, and I believe in bromeliads (including
pineapples) it induces flowering. It is pretty versatile. It is
believed by many (or was believed, when I was still in school) that
apples evolved (or were selected for) the ability to produce large
quantities of ethylene gas from a single ripe fruit. This induces the
more fruit on the tree to ripen, and quickly cascades to ensure that all
fruit are ripe at very close to the same time. Important if you are
trying to induce furry critters to visit your house and spread your
seeds. Or if you are an orchardist and you only want to pick your tree
once (and have uniformly bright red and delicious looking apples, of
course). Other fruits, including bananas, also seem to have the same
skill.

Old 24-07-2003, 04:32 PM
K Barrett

Do a google search on ethylene, there should be a wealth of information
about its effect on ripening and aging.

K Barrett

Old 24-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Ted Byers

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Rob Halgren wrote:

Wendy wrote:

I have often read about orchid flowers blasting from the gases emitted
from rotting fruit?

So if you have a nice blooming plant, on the coffee table & a bowl of
fruit on the dining table, with one bad apple, would it blast the
flowers?

Almost certainly...

Of course, now I read that to mean that the orchid and the apple are in
different rooms. That is probably not as big of a concern, assuming the
house has sufficient air volume. If they are on the same table, then it
is a really bad idea... *grin*

Unless the living room and dining room are adjacent and relatively open!
Every house I have lived in has had such an arrangement, to the point where
slightly different furnishing arrangements would create the impression of a
single room. And in my present home, my bedroom is as large as the dining
room and living room combined (the former is a bit on the large side and the
latter are rather small). And in every case, the coffee table was only
about three or four metres from the dining table.

It isn't an issue in my current home, though, since my orchids are on the
second floor with me and the dining room is on the first. I dare not put
any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat, which is a terror
to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she can reach it. With
that critter, a plant in bloom would not live long enough for fruit on the
table to blast the flowers. Thanks to it, I have developed an intense
dislike for cats. They're just as bad as tree rats.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Diana Kulaga

I dare not put any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat,
which is a terror to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she can
reach it. With that critter, a plant in bloom would not live long enough
for fruit on the table to blast the flowers. Thanks to it, I have developed
an intense
dislike for cats. They're just as bad as tree rats.

Oh, Ted, not all of them! Casper nuzzles the canes of a huge Dend, but
would never tear it up. Last winter we had slews of plants in the house,
all within his reach, and he treated it like a jungle game, but never hurt
so much as a leaf. Depends on the kitty.........

Diana

Old 24-07-2003, 09:04 PM
Wendy

Speaking of cats, last night on the news they showed this cat, that
diligently brought their owners prizes! Not the usual mouse or rat but
socks, hankies & bra's etc.??? Too funny!
Cheers Wendy
arthlink.net...

Old 24-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Wendy

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message

Almost certainly... Unless you had a very large dining room and
excellent air circulation. Here at MSU, we have whole rooms which have
signs that have an apple with a diagonal line through them. "NO
APPLES". Some people think that is funny. The apple doesn't have to
be bad, a firm ripe apple is also a bad idea. One bad apple really does
spoil the bunch, and one not so bad apple can spoil a whole walk-in
cooler full of flowers...

I also re-read your statement & I could see where it could be
very funny if the University used MacIntosh Computers *G*
Cheers Wendy

Old 24-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Ted Byers

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
arthlink.net...
I dare not put any plant of value down there since my sister has a cat,

which is a terror to plants and flies, killing every plant put where she

can
reach it. With that critter, a plant in bloom would not live long enough
for fruit on the table to blast the flowers. Thanks to it, I have

developed
an intense
dislike for cats. They're just as bad as tree rats.

Oh, Ted, not all of them! Casper nuzzles the canes of a huge Dend, but
would never tear it up. Last winter we had slews of plants in the house,
all within his reach, and he treated it like a jungle game, but never hurt
so much as a leaf. Depends on the kitty.........

Hi Diana

I guess either you got lucky, or my sisters are unlucky. All three of them
have cats, and all three of their cats are plant killers. -( But none of
my sisters want me to introduce their cats to my oldest sister's dog. A
siberian husky, he will eat any vertebrate, other than human beings of
course, that has the gall to enter his domain. I couldn't begin to number
the rodents, birds, snakes and feral cats on which he has dined. But then,
they live in a very lightly developed area, with swamp across the road to
the south and boreal forest (on crown land) to the north beginning near
their property line. They get to see all kinds of wildlife most people get
to see only on National Geographic of the Discovery Channel. Just last
summer, on one occassion I was there, I saw a falcon try to take a song
bird, and the little bird, although injured, managed to escape. But, with
all the wildlife there, they'd be overrun by vertebrate pests if not for the
feral cats that have learned to avoid colt and for colt. They have a really
nice garden because, in part, the feral cats have decimated the rodent
population around the house.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 24-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Ted Byers

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .

I guess either you got lucky, or my sisters are unlucky. All three of

them
have cats, and all three of their cats are plant killers. -( But none

of
my sisters want me to introduce their cats to my oldest sister's dog. A
[snip]
all the wildlife there, they'd be overrun by vertebrate pests if not for

the
feral cats that have learned to avoid colt and for colt. They have a

really
nice garden because, in part, the feral cats have decimated the rodent
population around the house.

I should probably point out that the feral cats don't seem to bother the
plants in the garden, but the dometicated cat in the house is a menace to
the plants.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 25-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Diane Mancino

I posted a pic on the other news group of a yellow tang bloom that only
lasted 2 weeks-it was 10 ft from the fruit bowl. short lived orchid or did
the fruit ruin it?
. net...

Old 25-07-2003, 01:12 PM
LYNN32141

Dianne,

I don't know about you, but I grow Golden Tangs, and I've had 24-30 blooms at
one time on my orchid, and while my flowers usually stay in bloom for 3-4 weeks
at a time, it is CONSTANTLY in bloom... As soon as some of the flowers begin to
dye, it sends up new shoots left and right.. it's amazing actually.. a very
rewarding orchid.

It does spoil me when it comes to my once a year bloomer, and my dendrobiums
who only bloom twice a year at this time...

Lynn
Old 25-07-2003, 09:42 PM
LYNN32141

In article link.net, "Diana
Kulaga" writes:

Offerings to his dad, I guess!

hahahaha oh gosh that is funny... Amazes you what little treats they reward us
with huh??

lynn