Old 24-07-2003, 04:42 PM
K Barrett

Default Dendrobium crepidiferum

http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SF-050702-21.html
http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFA...3/densula.html
http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFJuly%202003/den.html

I hope these pics help you with the shape. Also please note that according
to Christensen the name now is Dendrobium crepidiferum (ick)

K Barrett

"Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that I got

from
Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when they

open
but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers for your
plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's just the
nature of the beast (err... plant).

TIA,

Dave

Old 25-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Dave Sheehy

K Barrett ) wrote:
: http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SF-050702-21.html
: http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFA...3/densula.html
: http://www.aospacificcentral.org/SFJuly%202003/den.html

: I hope these pics help you with the shape. Also please note that according
: to Christensen the name now is Dendrobium crepidiferum (ick)

Thanks Kay, they do help some. The top photo (that you took) in the second
URL illustrates my question about shape. In the top left corner you see a
flower in profile that is very trumpet, or cone shaped. That is what my
flowers are shaped like although they are gradually (very gradually I might
add) flattening out. There is a bit of an illusion in the pictures which
are taken head on. That is, the lip looks very short and squat from that
perspective when in reality it is not. Again, looking at the flower in the
top left corner you can see the lip sticking out from the edge of the
petals/sepals. Having bought this orchid from the picture at Andy's Orchids
I didn't expect it to quite look the way it does. BTW, the picture at Andy's
can be found at:

http://www.andysorchids.com/picturef...jpg&PicId=5168

It looks very much like the photos you listed above (except for the silvery
sparkles on Andy's photo).

Dave

: K Barrett

: "Dave Sheehy" wrote in message
: ...
: Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that I got
: from
: Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when they
: open
: but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers for your
: plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's just the
: nature of the beast (err... plant).
:
: TIA,
:
: Dave
:
:

Old 26-07-2003, 06:33 PM
K Barrett

In the 3rd link, top photo (taken by Eric Hunt) you can see the profile for
sulawesianse/crepidiferm on one of the flowers in the upper left. The
nectary has a keel. The flower you mention is taken at an off-angle, and
shows the 'ventral' side of the flower - if one can use an animal term for a
plant, *G* . The lip is rather like how it shows in all pictures. Andy's pic
does show the crystalline texture, which is a very fine feature of the
plant.

The flower does have a long nectary that extends back from the open flower
face, about 1-2 cm. Sounds like your petals and sepals are slowly opening?
In my GH the flower has not trouble opening, not like Den victoria-reginae
(Purple and white) in which the blooms are all scrunched up together and
each individual flower has no room to open fully and diplay its self. So I
prefer crepidiferum, plus the color is a knock out and the crystalline
texture is to die for.

What to do in order to get the flowers to open better, I have no idea but I
can tell you how I grow mine. I have mine in a rather dry corner of the GH.
Its in sphagnum in a clay pot, it gets light as for cattleyas, if not
brighter. When I got the award the judges commented that some of the leaves
were the same color as the flower from the high amount of light I give the
thing. I water once a week. More if I have time. Rel humidity is 40-80%
(yes! quite a fluctuation) and temps are 55-85F. So its tolerant of abuse.
(Not that it enjoys abuse, just that so far its putting up with me) I've
been keeping the canes staked upright, although they may look really cool
laying over, pendant. However the canes are about 2 1/2 feet tall so it
would take up a lot of room if allowed to hang (IMHO)

I hope this helps, its a great plant

http://www.andysorchids.com/picturef...s/5168med.jpg&

Old 27-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Dave Sheehy

K Barrett ) wrote:
: In the 3rd link, top photo (taken by Eric Hunt) you can see the profile for
: sulawesianse/crepidiferm on one of the flowers in the upper left. The
: nectary has a keel. The flower you mention is taken at an off-angle, and
: shows the 'ventral' side of the flower - if one can use an animal term for a
: plant, *G* . The lip is rather like how it shows in all pictures. Andy's pic
: does show the crystalline texture, which is a very fine feature of the
: plant.

: The flower does have a long nectary that extends back from the open flower
: face, about 1-2 cm. Sounds like your petals and sepals are slowly opening?

Yes, that seems to be the case.

: In my GH the flower has not trouble opening, not like Den victoria-reginae
: (Purple and white) in which the blooms are all scrunched up together and
: each individual flower has no room to open fully and diplay its self.

Hey! I thought you didn't do Dendrobiums.

: So I
: prefer crepidiferum, plus the color is a knock out and the crystalline
: texture is to die for.

Those are the exact characteristics that I like in this plant!

: What to do in order to get the flowers to open better, I have no idea but I
: can tell you how I grow mine. I have mine in a rather dry corner of the GH.

That's probably equivalent to my indoor conditions.

: Its in sphagnum in a clay pot,

That's the way it came potted from Andy's and I've left it that way.

: it gets light as for cattleyas, if not
: brighter. When I got the award the judges commented that some of the leaves
: were the same color as the flower from the high amount of light I give the
: thing.

We differ here. Andy's cutlural info says it takes low light. So, I have it
in a north window where it gets around 1000 foot candles of light (if I hold
the light meter just right). Yet another reason I bought it was for it's
low light requirements.

: I water once a week. More if I have time. Rel humidity is 40-80%
: (yes! quite a fluctuation) and temps are 55-85F. So its tolerant of abuse.
: (Not that it enjoys abuse, just that so far its putting up with me)

Another likely difference. Andy's culture info on the web says to keep it
moist. But, when I saw Andy at the SF show he said to keep it "sopping
wet". So, that's what I do now. I had problems with leaf tips browning and
accordian growth if I let it dry out at all.

: I've
: been keeping the canes staked upright, although they may look really cool
: laying over, pendant. However the canes are about 2 1/2 feet tall so it
: would take up a lot of room if allowed to hang (IMHO)

Mine's still small. The largest canes are around 10". I've thought about
tying the canes up but I can hang it in such a way that I don't have to.

: I hope this helps, its a great plant

It is a great plant. So far, it's been pretty easy too.

: K Barrett ) wrote:
[...]
: : ...
: : Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that I
: got
: : from
: : Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when they
: : open
: : but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers for
: your
: : plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's just
: the
: : nature of the beast (err... plant).
: :
: : TIA,
: :
: : Dave
: :
: :
:
:

Old 27-07-2003, 05:43 PM
K Barrett

Keep it sopping wet?! Aack! (Now you know why I don't do dendrobiums!! There
are just too many variables!)

Well, that's what makes orchids so great. 'Whatever works for you works for
you' is the law of the land, *G*.

Old 28-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Dave Sheehy

K Barrett ) wrote:
: Keep it sopping wet?! Aack! (Now you know why I don't do dendrobiums!! There
: are just too many variables!)

Yeah, I was a bit surprised by that one too. ;-)
I'm still trying figure out how "Growing Tip: Keep moist all the
time.", from Andy's web site translates to sopping wet.

: Well, that's what makes orchids so great. 'Whatever works for you works for
: you' is the law of the land, *G*.

That's very true. On the flip side it also makes trading notes like this a
bit futile. Even so, that doesn't stop us from doing so.

Drifting even farther OT, I think you said you recently said you have a Cirr
Elizabeth Ann 'Buckleberry' (not sure if you threw it away or are trying to
deal with the bush snails). Anyway, what's your take on its requirements?
What light levels does it need and how wet does it need to stay? Do you
think it can deal with my I-H environment up here in Sacramento?

: : K Barrett ) wrote:
[...]
: : : ...
: : : Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience that
: I
: : got
: : : from
: : : Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat when
: they
: : : open
: : : but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the flowers
: for
: : your
: : : plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's
: just
: : the
: : : nature of the beast (err... plant).
: : :
: : : TIA,
: : :
: : : Dave
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
:
:

Old 28-07-2003, 10:03 PM
K Barrett

You know, I've killed 3 Eliz Ann Buckleberrys, so I'm the last person to ask
about them. *G* I can grow other Bulbo/cirrs, but that one just doesn't like
me. The ones I've had were all in plastic pots and a mix of fine and
intermediate bark, which the previous owners had success with. Once they got
into my conditions they went south fast. Come to think of it , that's
probably because of my watering habits (or lack thereof). All my other
bulbos/cirrs are in baskets in sphagnum moss or mounted and placed such that
they get mist from overhead misters a few times daily, allowing them to be
evenly moist by nightfall. I have it in light as for catts or oncidiums.

The key to these, IMHO, is the water. They are really a pain in the butt
sometimes, becasue they grow and grow and won't flower until the reach the
edge of the container, their roots hang out into space, and *then* they
flower. So that begs the question *why* all the hoopla about evenly moist
conditions if it wants its roots hanging out there in space in order to
flower? But if I don't give them that moistness they sulk, die back and
(wellll) croak. That's not sopping wet, but evenly moist. With my misters
they'll get real wet, but then with the fans they'll dry out over the day.
And (here in the Walnut Creek area) its dry enough that they dry out over
the day. But, and I'm probably going to tick people off by saying this, I
can't depend on automation to water as well as what the individual plants
require, hence my attempt at being a better mother and watering better by
hand.

You know who's in teh Sacramento area that grows bulbophyllums real good is
Howard Gunn. He's with the Sacramento Orchid Society and is holding an
openhouse sometime this month - it may be announced on their webpage. It may
be worth joining the society in order so you can go to these sorts of
weekend outings whether you can make the monthly meetings or not. IMHO you
get some one on one attention at these sorts of functions whereas the
meeetings are lectures on topics that may or may not be of interest to you.

Old 29-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Dave Sheehy

K Barrett ) wrote:
: You know, I've killed 3 Eliz Ann Buckleberrys, so I'm the last person to ask
: about them. *G*

Ouch.

: I can grow other Bulbo/cirrs, but that one just doesn't like
: me. The ones I've had were all in plastic pots and a mix of fine and
: intermediate bark, which the previous owners had success with. Once they got
: into my conditions they went south fast. Come to think of it , that's
: probably because of my watering habits (or lack thereof). All my other
: bulbos/cirrs are in baskets in sphagnum moss or mounted and placed such that
: they get mist from overhead misters a few times daily, allowing them to be
: evenly moist by nightfall. I have it in light as for catts or oncidiums.

If I try one it'll definitely be in spaghnum in the first go around. That
seems to work the best for maintaining moisture in my conditions. If they
can take the same light as for phals I can put them in the same north window
as the phals and the Den crepidiferum. What information I have been able to
glean from the web indicates that may be possible.

: You know who's in teh Sacramento area that grows bulbophyllums real good is
: Howard Gunn. He's with the Sacramento Orchid Society and is holding an
: openhouse sometime this month - it may be announced on their webpage. It may
: be worth joining the society in order so you can go to these sorts of
: weekend outings whether you can make the monthly meetings or not. IMHO you
: get some one on one attention at these sorts of functions whereas the
: meeetings are lectures on topics that may or may not be of interest to you.

That's a great suggestion. They meet on Wednesdays which is not good for me
as I have other activities that day but I would be able to get to some of the
weekend outings on occasion. I'll check their web site but IIRC it is pretty
terrible at advertising events (other than their yearly show that is).

Thanks,

: : : K Barrett ) wrote:
[...]
: : : : ...
: : : : Gene, I have a question for you. I have a Den sulawensience
: that
: : I
: : : got
: : : : from
: : : : Andy's Orchids. Andy's claims that the flowers are very flat
: when
: : they
: : : : open
: : : : but mine are more trumpet shaped. So, what shape are the
: flowers
: : for
: : : your
: : : : plant? I wonder if I'm doing something culture-wise or if it's
: : just
: : : the
: : : : nature of the beast (err... plant).
: : : :
: : : : TIA,
: : : :
: : : : Dave
: : : :
: : : :
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
:
:

Old 29-07-2003, 06:12 AM
K Barrett

I will never tell you not to try one. I like bulbos quite a bit. Petite
Plaisance (out west of Petaluma in small town called Valley Ford) is a nice
place to buy them They have a web page. But its more fun to make a day trip
out of driving out there and touring the place. They *may* be coming to the
Sacramanto trustees meeting, but don't quote me on that. That way you can
see 'em before you buy.

I've had success with B. lobbii 'Kathy's gold' that seems rather ubiquitous.
So you could get one cheap(er). And Andy's has a ton of them. Believe it or
not the echinolabium is blooming for me now and its hybrid B. Jersey has 6
stems. Some of the others are a bit more twitchy.