Old 27-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Steve

Default Blc. Harlequin 'Clare'

I haven't posted anything here in ages, though I always read what
everyone else has to say.

Does anyone else have Blc. Harlequin 'Clare'? I would bet not but
thought I would ask.

No question, just some pictures to share.

Here's a picture taken last November. This is how it always looks when
it blooms under my lights in the basement:
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...quinClare2.jpg

Now compare, the exact same plant that happened to bloom when it was
outside for the summer (now):
http://stevewilson.homestead.com/fil...quinClare7.jpg

Outside, this one goes in full afternoon sun. It gets shade from mid
morning until about 1:30 PM then no shade at all until the sun sets at
about 8:30. Normally I might have moved it to more shade to protect the
bud but I decided to let it bake and see what it did for the color.

This plant is nearly 50% Cattleya dowiana, which explains why it can
take light that would burn most of my Catts to death. The next most
common species in its background is L. tenebrosa at 25%.

Steve in the Adirondacks of northern NY

Old 27-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Wendy

Steve, Put me on your list please!
Absolutely amazing! The difference is incredible. I personally prefer
the softer
more delicate pastel shades, but what a lip. I think we discussed your plant
a couple
of years ago? *g*
Cheers Wendy

Old 27-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:01:35 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

Steve, Put me on your list please!
Absolutely amazing! The difference is incredible. I personally prefer
the softer
more delicate pastel shades, but what a lip. I think we discussed your plant
a couple
of years ago? *g*
Cheers Wendy

Steve did the flower sit in the sun after it opened or did you
photograph it quite soon? I do like the brighter lip. But the
petals loose so much. It looks like they were sun bleached.
Quite a difference. Usually it is just the difference in bloom
or pbulb size not the sun bleached effect that one sees.

When we first moved from Chicago to Colorado some of our plants
doubled the size of the pbulbs and the tall narrow style Pbulbs
were twice as tall. It was an unbelievable difference in plants
that were mature before the transfer.

Thanks for the show.

SuE
Old 27-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Steve

No, it's not really sun bleached. That's just the way it looks. Maybe
slightly over exposed by the camera settings.
A few evenings ago, I went out at dusk and brought it in. It was just
opening that day and thunder storms were forecast. I didn't want it
damaged at that point. It has been under some fluorescent lights since,
to finish opening (and waiting for me to get around to taking a picture).
I just ran downstairs to take a look at the actual plant. The picture is
about right. The mid areas of the petals are very light. More contrast
with the extra color at the petal edges. The picture from November shows
the petals to be much more even in color.
I think I like the November look better though it's interesting to see
it now too.

Steve

Old 27-07-2003, 06:02 AM
Steve

Well, that was last November. I'm pretty sure that was the first time I
ever showed a picture.
We did talk about it. You might remember me commenting that it always
has 2 flowers and one always seem to have something wrong. The November
blooming had one flower with a lip so ruffled you couldn't see into it
at all.
This is the first time it has ever bloomed with only one flower. The
flower is quite normal. The only fault I can find is that one petal is
more ruffled than the other, making that one fold in a bit. (Not that
I'm saying it has a nearly perfect shape as far as judging goes. It
would have to be a lot flatter etc.)

Steve

Old 27-07-2003, 06:22 AM
LYNN32141

Dear STeve,

OM Goodness.. What an ABSOLUTELY beautiful Orchid... Wow.. it is just
gorgeous.. I adore the coloring.. Does it have a fragrance?? I have a few
orchids which have mild fragrance to no fragrance..

Lynn
Old 27-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Steve

Thanks.
It has a fragrance but not a floral one. It has a slight smell more like
some kind of vegetable I think. I'll smell it again and see if I can do
any better.

Steve

Old 27-07-2003, 06:32 PM
LYNN32141

In article , Steve writes:

I'll smell it again and see if I can do
any better.

hehehe good, thanks I'd appreciate that.. It is just beautiful.. I was showing
it to my husband who was just amazed at it's beauty.

lynn
Old 29-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Steve

Well Lynn, I did get another good smell of it yesterday. I let my wife
and daughter smell also.
They both said it just smelled like a flower. They couldn't or wouldn't
offer any better description.
I still wouldn't say it smells floral. Maybe a little hint of lemon
smell. It smells like a slightly unripe lemon. Not too exciting as far
as I'm concerned.

Steve

Old 29-07-2003, 02:03 AM
LYNN32141

In article , Steve writes:

Maybe a little hint of lemon
smell. It smells like a slightly unripe lemon. Not too exciting as far
as I'm concerned.

Well Steve, I thank you for that.. LOL I can just picture you all smelling it,
and then asking, well contest #1, what is your guess.. Too cute..

Lynn

Old 31-07-2003, 01:02 PM

In article , Steve wrote:

[...]

Nice! Thanks for sharing! What kind of lights are you using in the
basement?
Old 01-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Steve

That one grows under a combo light... 400 W Metal halide AND 400 W HPS.
800 Watts total. My brightest area. It needs bright light to bloom. I
actually had the plant for close to 20 years and only bloomed it once at
about year 15 (guessing). Once I got the brighter lights I bloom it
regularly. Twice in 8 months this time.
Of course I was a beginner when I got it and had no idea it needed more
light than my other Catts.
In another part of the basement I have a 400 W. MH light and 12, 4 foot
fluorescent tubes right next to it. I can bloom ALMOST anything there.

Steve

Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm just starting buy lights and have 4
fluorescent tubes. I'd love to have what you've got, but I think I need
to call in an electrician and have another circuit dedicated to my
growing area. Sigh. Sometimes I think that raising polo ponies would be
a cheaper hobby. I wonder if anyone ever keeps track of how much their
hobby costs (plants, plants that die, bark, etc.).

Old 03-08-2003, 03:33 PM
Wendy

*G* I have thought the same thing & can tell you that I have spent my grand
daughters inheritance $$$
Cheers Wendy