Old 31-07-2003, 05:42 PM
K Barrett

Default Wyld Court was Lycaste question

Thanks for the tour of Wyld Court, Alan. It was most enlightening. I had no
idea who the John Banks was that Zygo John Banks was named after.

K Barrett

"TQPL" wrote in message
Hi Jerry,

At Wyld Court Orchids, the UK home of Lycastes, we
used to pot almost every Lycaste in plastic.
It was only the large specimen plants that ended
up in terracotta, which was mainly for plant
stability.

If you are going to bend or cut your plant to
accommodate it in a new pot the best time to carry
this out is when the new growth shoot is emerging.
The idea is to get the new roots into new compost.

Pine bark with sphagnum moss mixed in as a
sprinking works very well for UK greenhouse
conditions. That is what Henry Oakley uses too who
holds the national collection in UK.

If you are changing your media
dramatically...certainly wait until the new growth
has started.

If you are simply increasing the pot size without
root disturbance you may be able to get aways with
it now.

There is some information and photos of Lycastes
on our site

http://www.tissuequickplantlabs.com/wcohomemfr.htm

Btw. if that full link does not display here enter
by the main page.

Best regards
Alan L Winthrop

www.tissuequickplantlabs.com

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote
in message news:sw2Wa.25143$Ho3.4534@sccrnsc03...
Hi all,

When's the best time or should I say when in

their growth cycle is the best
time to repot a Lycaste? I have a large

longiscapa that's in a plastic pot
and growing in opposite directions and I'm

concerned the new growths will
get crunched by the side of the pot (it's

already "stretched"). Also, I'm
curious what you pot lycaste's in - plastic or

clay pots and what medium you
use.

Thanks!
Jerry