Old 31-07-2003, 06:02 PM
rajiv

Default automatic watering system... would like some suggestions

Hi everyone:

I have been thinking of installing an automatic watering system for my
orchids, and have thought of installing a misting/watering system
which will remain on for 10 -15 minutes every other day or so,
completely drenching the plants.
Any suggestions on how i should proceed to install a hobbiest, cost
effective system on a part of the greenhouse containing the orchids.

Also i would appreciate any other suggestions on different types of
watering systems that may be available apart from what i have in mind
right now..

thanks again

rajiv
Old 31-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Ray

Be careful with automatic watering, it can be a sure way to kill your
plants.

Typical scenario:

It's cold and damp for days - they get watered.
It's hot and dry - nope.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
om...

Old 31-07-2003, 09:21 PM
K Barrett

Nice site. Looks like its got a lot of stuff. Thanks for the link
http://www.dripworksusa.com/

If anmy of you are sick enough to want to drive to Willits Ca. in order to
shop there remember Sherwood Orchids is in Willits too. *G*
http://sherwoodorchids.com/

K Barrett

"doug houseman" wrote in message
As a starting point go to the drip works USA site and order their
catalog...

Old 01-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

I was just thinking as I was watering today how much time and work it was
but also how much I enjoyed it. I also end up taking a fairly close look at
each plant - looking for insects or rot or other cultural issues. I also
often notice spikes I hadn't seen yet My indoor growing area could be
on a schedule as the temps are pretty consistant but the GH - I water
generally once a week in the winter and twice a week in the summer but
lately it's been really hot and dry so it's been every 2-3 days. Point is I
adjust it based on what they need. The time it would be really nice would
be when I go out of town for more than 3-4 days...

"Ray" wrote in message
Be careful with automatic watering, it can be a sure way to kill your
plants.

Typical scenario:

It's cold and damp for days - they get watered.
It's hot and dry - nope.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 AM
Ray

Jerry, I think you hit the benefits of manual watering dead on!

As most of my collection is in S/H culture, automatic watering would be less
of an issue, as overwatering is virtually impossible, but there's always
that damned crown rot to consider.

My own setup used a pump with a pressure tank that is fed from an RO holding
tank. There are two output circuits: The first goes through dosing pumps
for fertilizer and additives, and onto hoses with shutoff valves. Squeeze
and your watering away. The other one has a solenoid valve that opens up to
the overhead misting nozzles (Pure RO misting = no spotting). Currently,
the solenoid valve is activated by an interval timer (10 minutes on) that is
started manually via an X10 device from my desk. When I go away on vacation
in the summer, I put it on a timer so it runs at 5 a.m. every other morning.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 01-08-2003, 03:32 PM
K Barrett

I gave a short (and probably incomprehendable) talk at a local society about
the value of hand watering and *inspecting your plants*. I brought in a
plant that I hadn't realized had fallen off the back of a bench and laid
there long enough to start a new growth and have that growth mature. So now
I've got a plant that grows with a 90 degree bend to it. I haven't decided
what to do about it. I'll probably just slowly move it back into line by
using masking tape to slowly bend it into postions. LOL, I startted using
that blue masking tape for staking instead of green wire when I left a roll
of it in the gh after working in there one day. People always wonder what
all the blue tape's for, I've started ignoring the question...

K Barrett

Old 02-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Ray

Like that used for wells - rather than having the pump run nonstop when you
draw water, the pump functions to pressurize a tank containing a bladder
that's under external pressure.

When you open the outlet, the bladder pushes the water out. When the
pressure against that bladder gets below a setpoint, the pump repressurizes
it.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 06-08-2003, 03:12 PM
rajiv

I agree with the value of hand watering, and watering according to
climatic need and plant conditions. I prefer to do that myself.
However i want to install the automated system, when i take extended
vacations and i dont find anyone to take care of the plants.

rajiv

Old 07-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Pat Brennan

Easy enough to do. Mist heads which work with normal water pressure (around
35 psi) run between 20 cents and a buck a piece. Some brands require a
saddle that is glued to PVC, others mount directly onto a PVC pipe. The
saddles are nice in that you can try different heads until you get the flow
and pattern you want. Buy a variety of head types. Do not use too small a
PVC pipe because there will be a pressure drop after each head. I find I
use smaller gph heads at the start of the run and larger at the end. For a
controller you can use a garden hose irrigation timer. Gilmour makes a nice
battery operated one for under $50 with a one week clock cycle and up to
four on/off cycles per week.

Pat
om...

Old 07-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Pat Brennan

sorry, the gilmour timer is one week clock cycle and up to 4 on/off cycles
a DAY. I should look before hitting enter.

Pat

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Easy enough to do. Mist heads which work with normal water pressure

(around
35 psi) run between 20 cents and a buck a piece. Some brands require a
saddle that is glued to PVC, others mount directly onto a PVC pipe. The
saddles are nice in that you can try different heads until you get the

flow
and pattern you want. Buy a variety of head types. Do not use too small

PVC pipe because there will be a pressure drop after each head. I find I
use smaller gph heads at the start of the run and larger at the end. For

controller you can use a garden hose irrigation timer. Gilmour makes a

nice
battery operated one for under $50 with a one week clock cycle and up to
four on/off cycles per week.

Pat
om...