GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What to do with flower stalks (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/39175-what-do-flower-stalks.html)

Peter Aitken 03-08-2003 03:02 PM

What to do with flower stalks

A newbiw question - I have several phalanopsis, dendrobiums, and, oncydiums
that finished blooming about a month ago. The flower stalks are brown and
dry. Should I cut them off, leave them, or what? Thanks.

--
Peter Aitken

Wendy 03-08-2003 03:33 PM

What to do with flower stalks

Welcome Peter, Sounds like you have a good collection going there for a
newbie?
You have done the right thing. Now would be the time to cut the old dead
spikes.
My mentor told me this is the best time to cut as you will not spread any
viruses.
Cheers Wendy
.com...

Tom Randy 03-08-2003 08:12 PM

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 09:51:57 -0400, Peter Aitken wrote:

A newbiw question - I have several phalanopsis, dendrobiums, and,
oncydiums that finished blooming about a month ago. The flower stalks are
brown and dry. Should I cut them off, leave them, or what? Thanks.

If they are dead clip 'em off.

Peter Aitken 04-08-2003 05:32 PM

"Wendy" wrote in message
Welcome Peter, Sounds like you have a good collection going there for a
newbie?
You have done the right thing. Now would be the time to cut the old dead
spikes.
My mentor told me this is the best time to cut as you will not spread any
viruses.
Cheers Wendy

Thanks, Wendy, I will follow your advice. Note - my "collection" = 4 orchids
so far but I am sure that will change!

--
Peter Aitken