Old 06-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Eroyee

Default here it goes....

... I, for some reason, have become over the past few months (but especially
over the past few DAYS) pathetically infatuated with orchids. Don't know
why, don't know where it came from..
I'm just like that, I guess. Once the thought of learning to play guitar
came to my mind.. That very day I went to the store and bought one.
Once the thought of wanting to learn photography came to mind, so I went to
the store, and it was a Sunday, so it was closed.. I drove around the city
all day looking for a store where they sold photography equipment which was
open, and when I found it, I bought one.

I'm assuming it'll be the same with this..
And after reading some posts here, it sounds like my initial thought was
correct.. It can be a very rewarding hobby.

I just don't know much about these plants, so am going to go down to the
store and buy a book about them. I've been around websites and have seen
different pictures (have liked some more than others)..

Naturally a website will give you some very general (and whilst sometimes
precise) information, it will never be as useful as a person who has had
experience with orchids passing down information to me..

So if anyone is here and has got some time. .Could you please be able to
help me out? I will be so very grateful..

Here's some information of what I want and where I live:
If possible I will be growing this plant indoors.. (Of course if I had to I
would plant it outside, but it will not be preferred).. I live in Melbourne,
Australia. The weather here is moderate, although very windy. It rains
sometimes, but not heavy storm rain.. Just very mild drizzles..
The temperature varies.. It NEVER goes below freezing.. Even in the middle
of winter, it might be (at night time).. Close to 50F degrees, during the
day around 64-68. During the summer it does get hot.. Possibly close to
100-110 degrees..
Always dry though.. There's hardly ever humidity.

So.. Is there anything that I need to know before I go out and buy some
bulbs and plant them on a pot?
ie. What should I be paying special attention to? Are there some flowers
more delicate than others? Are there some which will live in ANY
environment?

If even I didn't ask it here.. Any little bit of information that might be
useful to me..... I will very much appreciate it..

Also.. When do these plants get planted?
It's winter here (will be spring in a month)....
I'm assuming I can't just plunk them down in any season, right?

Well that's it for now..
I'm just really kind of excited about finally doing this..

And am sure that without help from people here it will be seemingly
impossible to do this..

Thanks to all..

Old 06-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Gene Schurg

Eroyee,

Before you spend a cent (or whatever the smallest Aussie denomination)
decide what you want to do. There are 30,000 different orchids to chose
from.

Orchids can be found all over the world and grow in many different climates.

You don't go out and buy a bulb or seed or anything like you would if you
were growing tomatoes. For a beginner you would select a blooming plant of
something you find attractive. Go to you local flower shop/nursery or
whatever you have around your area. Ask them for a recommendation and tell
them your growing conditions.

Take the new plant home and enjoy the flowers. See what kind of success you
have with your first orchid. Read about it. Learn about it. After you
feel comfortable with your first plant decide if you want a second of the
same type or whether you want a different challenge.

Look closely at the Phalaenopsis. That is usually the first beginner's
plant.

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Wendy

Welcome to our group Eroyee, you have just chosen the best little hobby!
One orchid I know you have down under is Dendrobium kingianum.
Smallish flowers but an easy grower.
Your weather sounds much like ours here in S.California. You are
going to need some humidity, by misting. We grow them in pots with bark type
mix
or mount them on wood. I can't help you with the indoor growing but I'm sure
someone will.
If you can join an Orchid Society you will get no end of info or if
you know someone that grows orchids in your immediate area, you will
have an instant mentor.
Good luck, be prepared to spend, spend, spend!
Stay with us here too as you can ask questions anytime.
Cheers Wendy

Old 06-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Eroyee

Ugh..
I hate the spending word, although I was actually counting on it.. : P
Being an out-of-work, poor college student doesn't help, either.

Anyway all hobbies cost money.. Am hoping to enjoy this one.. Thanks for
your information, I am hesitant toward either going to the nursery right now
and buying something, or waiting a few days and see what people would
suggest in here..
I'm really not sure on what am looking for yet, and all I'm basing my
thoughts on are the looks of the orchid.. Though after having read some
things around, I would assume that I need something like a Phalaenopsis, and
have found a few flowers that look very pretty..

Just a quick question, I called a few places here in OZ and haven't been
able to find any sort of information on this. Is it a reasonable request to
get plants imported to Australia? Particularly an orchid called Polyrrhiza
lindenii, which I have literally loved the second I saw it.....

I really don't want to get ahead of myself though.. And should really start
with an (reasonably) easy-to-grow plant..

Also.... Would it be recommended to buy a bulb and pot, or an already
blooming plant?

Thanks for your quick response and for your patient comments..

I'm sure I'll be writing back with more questions soon.. : P

Old 06-08-2003, 04:12 AM
PIETER ZUYDERVLIET

hello Eroyee it is good to see more aussies here,I'm based in NSW & mainly
grow natives abook that you might find helpful is "field guide to the
orchids of NSW & Vic. by Tony Bishop from UNSW press" this book deals only
with natives it has 504 entries with pictures & gives you a good description
of were to find them in the wild.

Old 06-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:58:41 +1000, "Eroyee" eroyeeattelstra.com
wrote:
I'm really not sure on what am looking for yet,

That statement says it all.
Really we are not trying to put you off. We are trying to help.
You need to find out what will grow outdoors as well as inside in
your area. We are largely from US... Thus really bad at what
grows well or is even obtainable there. We can tell you what we
want to grow that shows up in your local nurseries, but not what
will grow easily for a beginner.
Phals may not be your cup of tea. But there are many Dendrobiums
that are from Oz and the surrounding areas. You should
investigate your choices from the gh as well as your local groups
or societies. The best place for inexpensive plants is the
exchange between experienced growers and new growers at a society
meeting.

Other than humidity, it does sound as if you could grow many
things outdoors.
NO Bulbs. These are not tulips that you plant below ground and
have spring to life months later.
Until you are experienced buy only in bloom, your going to need
that memory and knowledge that this plant CAN bloom to keep you
going until you get it to bloom again.
SuE
Old 06-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

If I were you, I would be carefull with the Phalaenopsis. They are
considered to be good beginner plants, but my experience tells me otherwize.
I can keep plants that in theory are very hard to keep in a livingroom, but
kill a phalaenopsis in less than one year. Having read your first message I
think a dendrobium or a cattleya would be a good start. How about a Den.
atroviolacea, it doesn't get too big, grows in moderate temperature and has
flowers that aren't to commen.
Just an Idea, by the way I'm a student too, on a low budget, yet in the last
four years I've acquired more than 200 plants.
Cheers, goodluck, good growing
Peter

"Eroyee" eroyeeattelstra.com schreef in bericht

Old 06-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Diana Kulaga

#1: Try Dendrobiums.

#2: Did you learn to play the guitar? How good are your photographs?
VBG

#3: Welcome!

Diana

Old 07-08-2003, 12:42 AM
Eroyee

Hi..
I've been playing guitar for the past year or so, and considering that I
have decided to learn classical guitar I'd assume I'm doing rather well..
Photography is a different issue.. It's a wonderful hobby, and while
starting out can be very rewarding. However, it is very expensive. I
progressed into taking slide film pictures when I found that negatives were
just not good enough, and was spending around $20 per roll.. That's when I
decided that it just wasn't right. : P

I still have my camera and take the odd snap shot here and there.. But it's
as far as it goes..

I'm not sure why but I'm very impulsive like that.
I've never had a pet in my life, one day I woke up and thought.. 'I'm gonna
buy a dog..' That afternoon I did..

Weird, I guess. And for some reason I just had that same experience with the
orchid..

nk.net...
#1: Try Dendrobiums.

#2: Did you learn to play the guitar? How good are your photographs?
VBG

#3: Welcome!

Diana