Old 07-08-2003, 02:32 AM
disy

Default help with a Masdevallia Copper Angel

I have a Masdelvallia Copper Angel that has been limping along for about 6
years now. No matter what I do, it really never has anymore than 4 leaves
and it has only bloomed twice (when I first bought it and then about 2 years
later). When I bought it and it had many, many leaves. Slowly the leaves
turned yellow, like one every 3 months. It stableized at about 4 leaves,
sometimes 3 sometimes 5.

For the last year, I have had it in a glass dome and I have moist spag. moss
around the pot. I am using a very fine bark in a terra cotta "orchid" pot.
It sits on my dining room table - it gets light from an eastern window.
House temperature ranges from 70 F- 76 F in the summer (I like AC) and in
the winter I keep the heat at 67 F.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Diana

Old 07-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Eric Hunt

Diana,

Night time temps need to go into the lower 50s for this plant to thrive.

What you are seeing is exactly what happens to many Masdevallias when they
experience too-high night temperatures.

I was growing my clone of this hybrid inside in San Francisco, with nights
in the lower 60s. It never bloomed and slowly lost leaves.

The minute I put it outside in the shade, new leaves and TONS of new flowers
burst forth in happiness. Our nights in the City of San Francisco are almost
always in the upper 40s to mid 50s, year round. It's great being surrounded
on 3 sides by cold water!

Your daytime temps are fine for this hybrid.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF

.net...

Old 07-08-2003, 12:22 PM

Thanks, I'll try it. I am in Connecticut and the night temps are not
getting that low, but soon they will. I'm a little worried about it
outside becuase of the heat, but I do have a good shady spot for it.

Thanks again,
Diana

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message ...
Diana,

Night time temps need to go into the lower 50s for this plant to thrive.

What you are seeing is exactly what happens to many Masdevallias when they
experience too-high night temperatures.

I was growing my clone of this hybrid inside in San Francisco, with nights
in the lower 60s. It never bloomed and slowly lost leaves.

The minute I put it outside in the shade, new leaves and TONS of new flowers
burst forth in happiness. Our nights in the City of San Francisco are almost
always in the upper 40s to mid 50s, year round. It's great being surrounded
on 3 sides by cold water!

Your daytime temps are fine for this hybrid.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF

.net...

Old 07-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Eric Hunt

Diana,

Keep it outside until it freezes.

Once winter hits, try growing it under lights in an unheated garage, close
to the side of the house. That might keep it cold at night but not freezing.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF

om...

Old 08-08-2003, 03:03 AM
GrlIntrpted

Diana, CT is great for Masd's and Drac's. J&L Orchids is a great source for
these lovely minis, they are in your neck of the woods. My cool loving
minis go outside into a shady spot around the end of September, I keep them
there until first frost, I then bring them into the basement where they are
kept unheated and under 2 flourecent bulbs (warm and cool). I toss them
back into the outdoors around April and watch the weather like a hawk .
If a freeze is anticipated I bring them back into the basement, otherwise
they stay there until the nights get in the 70's. That's when they go back
in the house, this time into the living room where the central A/C is on at
around 72 at night and between 74-77 during the day.

Good luck,
Mariana
NYC

om...

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message

[...]

.net...

Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
disy

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the suggestions, I never thought of the Garage! It's a perfect
place - I am in an out of it everyday.

I actually got this one from J&L, what a great place - I am only about 30 -
40 minutes a way from them. Also, I am about 40 minutes from Venamy Ochids
in Brewster which is another wonderful place to wander, dream and find
another Orchid for the collection.

Thanks again,
Diana

om...

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message

[...]

.net...

Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
GrlIntrpted

t...

.
[...]

I'm jealous! I swear if I was there I'd beg to volunteer in that nursery and
I'd come in to practically do anything to just learn.

The mini's are my first experiment with moving some of the orchids into the
outdoors. 99% of my collection is grown inside. After I've gotten into the
miniatures and spoke to sales reps at Andy's Orchids, and J&L (at various
shows) I was adviced to try and move them outside for the chilly nights.
Not all of my mini's are treated that way, I keep many at home on window
sills (or next to the sills). But I have to tell you that the few that I've
started taking outside produce more leaves and flower with more consistency
(I guess it depends on the species too).

The weather as I'm sure you know has been awful for the past several weeks,
nothing but 100% humidity and no sun. I decided to move some more of the
orchids into the outdoors. Currently I have a Dend.lindleyi , Epi.
marmuratum, B. little stars, and Enc tempensis, as well as a few Dend.
hybrids sitting it the backyard (well some are suspended off hooks in a
bright but shady spot off the backyard fence). All w/o fail almost
instantly began showing signs of quick growth, roots as well as new
pseudobubls.

It's a big pain in the hiney to schlep the orchids outside so I'm going to
leave most in the house for now and monitor how the one's in the outdoors
do, maybe next season if our greenhouse plans fall through I'll just move
the orchids outside and place them on the tables and plant stands for the
summer. But for now, they'll stay here, close to me.

Mariana

Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Eric Hunt

No, I meant the plant, but I said it a bit obtusely.

"Close to the side of the house might give the plant the cold night time
temperatures it wants without letting the plant freeze."

Better? =)

-Eric in SF

Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
disy

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...

"disy" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I have put a few of my orchids outside this year to try it out. Even with
the horrible weather, the plants seem to be thriving. With all the rain,
it's made watering much easier. Unfortunately, I only have a deck that is
about 20' x 5', it is a common deck that is also used as a fire escape. I
can put stuff on it in front of my unit, but must leave a clear path incase
of emergency. I am not putting them all out there, but am trying a Phal,
Cat and a Dend and of course my Masdelvallia now.

My deck is by far the most cluttered of the decks. I have two tomato
plants, my Hoya that is usually inside (a pride an joy of mine - this was
one of my very first plants when I moved out of my parents home -it's over
15 years old and it loves to summer outside), a Spanish jasmine, 4
geraniums, a couple hanging planters that I put together with various
flowering/trailing plants and various herbs in pots, and a few of my spider
plants - now with the orchids, it absolutely paradise to sit among them all.
It's amazing how many plants you can get into a very small space. The only
problem with putting everything outside is that it gets very bare looking
inside.

If the orchids really like it, I'll figure something out for next year to be
able to get more of them outside.

Diana

Old 10-08-2003, 12:12 AM
tbell

Sounds great on the fire escape, and I'll bet you have no trouble filling up
the indoor locations again!
Tom
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(Please remove appendix to reply by e-mail)

Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 AM
disy

"tbell" wrote in message
Sounds great on the fire escape, and I'll bet you have no trouble filling

up
the indoor locations again!

LOL, that is what I am afraid of!

From: "disy"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 12:15:29 GMT

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
t...

"disy" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Bc Angel Lace (C Little Angel X B digbyana 'Laura') V_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 08-12-2006 01:58 AM
Masdevallia Copper Wing Sunburst X 2 P Max Orchid Photos 1 15-11-2006 06:00 AM
help - protection for Angel's Fishing Rod clarissa Texas 1 28-09-2006 08:06 PM
masdevallia kinglet seaecho Orchids 3 06-11-2003 02:02 AM
masdevallia tbell Orchids 3 09-02-2003 09:01 AM