Old 07-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Alana Gibson

Default I'm learning, but Questions, Questions, Questions

Hello Everybody,
I have only been growing since Christmas and have several kinds of
orchids, Phals, Epis, Oncidiums, one Dendrobium and one Vanda.
They are sitting in a NW window without a curtain and get morning sun
for perhaps 4-5 hours. I have air conditioning and temps are about 72-78
F. Humidity is usually a little above 50% except late afternoon when the
A/C runs a long time and I make sure to mist them them. I tried to
arrange them so that the ones who need the most light get the most. Most
are the are about the same color as when I bought them, but some plants
are greener than others, especially the Phals. Do Phals just stay
greener than the others even if lighting is right? I live in a small
town and the available lighting types here are limited. I can't hang
anything in there and I have been given a large greenhouse building but
I have to move it to where our new house is going to be in about March.
So, I need a temporary fix, any suggestions? I don't think I can move
them outside either as it's too hot, 98 degrees is common this time of
year but today they say it's going to be 103 with 72% humidity.
While I haven't killed any plants, I did have root rot especially in
one I bought in sphagnum. So I repotted them all a few weeks ago. Guess
I finally found what works for me, as all have new growth and beautiful
roots showing in the pots, except the Phals. They do have a few short
new roots but aren't gaining length like the others. Are they just
slower to make new roots? I found root rot even in a newly purchased
plant. Do you think it would be a good practice to repot every new
plant as soon as it is finished blooming?
As for the new greenhouse, I've been looking around for equipment and
wondered if you might have any experience or opinion on using a fogger
rather than a mister?
Thanks to everyone who read this sort of long post, and I can surely use
all the help I can get.

Alana

Old 07-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:27:35 -0500, Alana Gibson
wrote:

............. Do Phals just stay
greener than the others even if lighting is right?

I find my Phals (in the gh) are quite a dark green. I believe
you are right, they just hold a deeper color. They also sunburn
easier than the others, so take care.

........................... I don't think I can move
them outside either as it's too hot, 98 degrees is common this time of
year but today they say it's going to be 103 with 72% humidity.

If you have a shady place with good air movement the temperature
is not that much concern when you have high humidity and good air
movement. Make sure these house grown plants do not get direct
sun unless it is very early morning light. They will sunburn
just as a child will do early in the summer.

While I haven't killed any plants,

Congratulations...........

Do you think it would be a good practice to repot every new
plant as soon as it is finished blooming?

Yes, you never know what you will find in the pot. I have had
one from a reputable grower, that had just been potted up,
rotting roots, old mix, etc. was in the center of fresh new mix.
The plant looked as if it had been repotted last week. We almost
lost it before we decided, even thou it was "freshly potted" to
repot it.

As for the new greenhouse, I've been looking around for equipment and
wondered if you might have any experience or opinion on using a fogger
rather than a mister?

Our experience - and it depends on your outside humidity and
other cooling methods - is that foggers don't work.
But our outside humidity is closer to 9 than 70 so the fog dries
instantly. If you run a cooling pad or swamp cooler, you are
putting humidity into the air as you cool, so it changes things.

Thanks to everyone who read this sort of long post, and I can surely use
all the help I can get.

Alana

SuE

Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Steve

Good catch. I was trying to think how that could be. It can't. Even in
Australia the sun comes up in the East (or North East).

Steve

Old 09-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Alana Gibson

K Barrett wrote:

Morning sun in a North West window?

Thanks to Susan for she was the only one who tried to help, and .......
I thought this was a good place to ask for help from those who know a
lot more and have a lot more experience than I. Actually being a newbie
and never having posted here before I was a little apprehensive about it
and at the time I was thinking that the only decent window I have for
orchids is a NW window but not for late summer, but for winter and
spring. The plants are in a NE Window. So what, I made a mistake. Is
that any reason for you to ignore the rest of the question and make
remarks that are I guess supposed to be funny or making fun of me? A
little fun is always great except at someone else's expense and calling
attention to someone's mistake by poking fun at them in public is never
in good taste here or anywhere. Perhaps you might consider having a
little compassion and kindness for those of us who make mistakes and
don't have the same knowledge or abilities as yourself.

Alana

Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Steve

Alana Gibson wrote:
[...]

Alana, you ask what ever you want and don't be afraid to do so. I read
your post and my conditions are so different, there just wasn't much I
could help with. I can't really relate to temperatures in the 90s. The
few things I might have commented on were already covered nicely in
Susan's post.
When K.... noticed the little "mistake" I sort of laughed at myself for
not noticing that. I laughed even harder at myself when it occurred to
me that maybe you were in Australia. (Where are you from anyway?
Obviously not Australia because it's winter there.) Of course North and
South might seem to be switched in Australia but not East and West...the
earth still rotates in the same direction. With that in mind, I answered
the reply and not your original post. I expected you to come back and
explain the discrepancy but I didn't expect you to feel hurt by such a
casual comment. Any way, I certainly didn't ignore the rest of your
question because I thought you made a mistake.

One bit of advice about this group, which you can take or ignore... Some
people post long multi-part questions and some ask short, 2 or 3 line
questions that get right to the point. (I have a hard time getting to
the point in my posts.) My observation after reading this group for
years is that the short questions get read by more people and get lots
more answers.

Steve ...in the Adirondacks of Northern NY

Old 10-08-2003, 07:12 PM
K Barrett

I never made fun of you.

I read your question and asked one back. You stated something that wasn't
physically possible. It needed clarification.

Instead you made assumptions about me. I'm a complete stranger to you and
you assumed I was mean.

I am not mean.

Now ask your question.

K Barrett
(When I make fun of you, if ever, you will know it.)