Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
GrlIntrpted

Default Dracula erythrochaete

I have a Dracula erythrochaete with 11 spikes (I think one blasted earlier
today, it's yellowing). I have a slight dilema. Here are a few links to
the photo of the orchid. As you can see each photo is quite different. I'm
a bit confused as to how that's possible. I'm trying to figure out what it
should look like. Some of these pages claim that it's a native to Costa
Rica, mine says that it's from Colombia!

http://www.lesorb.com/album/dracula/page1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/masdevallia...ochaete-3.html
http://orchids.org/ooc/Genera/Dracul...throchaete.jpg
http://www.hjmillner.freeuk.com/drac_erythroch.jpg

I'm dying of curiousity and my Dracula is taking it's sweet time opening up.
Meanwhile, will the real Dracula erythrochaete stand up?

Mariana

Old 10-08-2003, 10:12 PM
GrlIntrpted

I know that not everyone grows Draculas, but I was kind of hopefull that
someone here would know what's going on and what the Drac should look like.
Is it possible that amongst the members here I'm the only one that grows
this orchid? Eric have you seen this one, photographed it by any chance?

A very disappointed,
Mariana

et...

Old 10-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Paul Simon

Hi Mariana,

I have one but can't find a picture at the moment. If I recall, it's on the
dark side, not light pink as some of the photos show.

Paul

Old 10-08-2003, 11:32 PM
GrlIntrpted

Mine is almost there, it's open but the tails are still together. The
"monkey" face is clearly visible and it's on the pinkish side with the white
lip.
I guess I'm trying to figure out if what I got from Andy's is the actual
species or if it's mislabled.....I'd hate to cut the flower in order to send
it for ID....

Mariana

Old 11-08-2003, 07:05 AM
Paul Simon

Post a picture of it on ABPO when it opens and I'll see if I can someone
around here who knows Dracs to ID it. Here in the SF Bay area a lot of
people grow them outdoors all year round.

Paul

Old 11-08-2003, 02:12 PM
GrlIntrpted

Thanks Paul, will do. What a lazy bum that one is! the tails are still
together at the bottom.
As soon as it opens I'll post it!

Mariana

Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 AM
Gideon Singer

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:45:22 GMT, "GrlIntrpted"
wrote:

I have a Dracula erythrochaete with 11 spikes (I think one blasted earlier
today, it's yellowing). I have a slight dilema. Here are a few links to
the photo of the orchid. As you can see each photo is quite different. I'm
a bit confused as to how that's possible. I'm trying to figure out what it
should look like. Some of these pages claim that it's a native to Costa
Rica, mine says that it's from Colombia!

http://www.lesorb.com/album/dracula/page1.htm
http://www.geocities.com/masdevallia...ochaete-3.html
http://orchids.org/ooc/Genera/Dracul...throchaete.jpg
http://www.hjmillner.freeuk.com/drac_erythroch.jpg

I'm dying of curiousity and my Dracula is taking it's sweet time opening up.
Meanwhile, will the real Dracula erythrochaete stand up?

Mariana

I have a picture at
http://gideonsinger.ca/orchid%20pict...la/index.html.

Old 18-11-2003, 03:04 AM
Registered User

Location: florida, usa

Quote:
Originally posted by GrlIntrpted

"Paul Simon" wrote in message
[...]

i actually just recently bought an erythrochaete on the internet and i am waiting to receive it, but i also work at the local botanical gardens and we have a couple that look exactly like the one that is at this link

http://www.andysorchids.com/picturef...jpg&PicId=3481

i hope that this works and satisfies your curiosity. it really is very small, but very pretty. good luck

Dracula's Syona Rose Too Orchids 0 02-06-2004 02:04 PM
All I wanted was a Dracula Vampira...but I can't find a vendor! Sinister Orchids 5 01-06-2004 10:05 PM
Plans for a Dracula Sinister Orchids 2 30-05-2004 03:07 AM
dracula vampira agnatha3141 Orchids 7 18-11-2003 11:02 AM
Dracula vampira (was Time to fess up - What the most you've paid?) TU Orchids 2 02-03-2003 10:05 AM