Old 18-08-2003, 03:08 AM
M&M

Default Humidity trays

Hi I am wanting to set up a humidity tray for my orchids which are positioed
on a bench below a skylight in my bedroom. I need a tray about the size
35cm * 80cms to asccom approx 8-9 plants. Does anyone have any ideas on
what I can get to use about this size, I haven't noticed anything this big
in the garden centres.

Thanks.

Old 18-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

"M&M" writes:
on a bench below a skylight in my bedroom. I need a tray about the size
35cm * 80cms to asccom approx 8-9 plants. Does anyone have any ideas on
what I can get to use about this size, I haven't noticed anything this big
in the garden centres.

You can get plastic trays around here that are meant for people like
me, who need to repot in the kitchen. The trays are about 35x40 with
5cm high sides.

If you have a local Ikea outlet somewhere close, they sometimes have
stainless steel roasting pans in their kitchen bit. They are slightly
wider (45? 50?) and only 55cm long.

You can also get yourself a slab of styrofoam, fibreglass and
epoxy. Coat the styrofoam on five sides, let it set, then wash away
the styrofoam with acetone or another solvent. This won't be pretty,
but it will work, and you can make it just the right size.

Geir

Old 19-08-2003, 01:42 AM
dd

In article , M&M
wrote:

Hi I am wanting to set up a humidity tray for my orchids which are positioed
on a bench below a skylight in my bedroom. I need a tray about the size
35cm * 80cms to asccom approx 8-9 plants. Does anyone have any ideas on
what I can get to use about this size, I haven't noticed anything this big
in the garden centres.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what country you're in, but Home Depot in the U.S. sells
mortar mixing tubs (look in mason's supplies) that are large, black
plastic things about the size of several dishpans put together. They
only cost about $6 and work great. Because they're only about 5-6"
high, you could probably store one under the bed.
Old 19-08-2003, 02:03 AM
tbell

I use Humiditrays, by CMI Plastics of Cranbury, New Jersey, USA. They are 2"
deep, molded plastic trays with removable grid tops. Found them at a local
orchid store. I like the grid tops better than gravel, because they don't
get crudded up with mineral scale.
Saw a suggestion for a similar set-up, using plastic "egg crate" intended
for fluorescent lighting, which can be cut to fit trays of any sort.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(To reply by e-mail, remove appendix)

Old 19-08-2003, 02:03 AM
disy

"tbell" wrote in message
I use Humiditrays, by CMI Plastics of Cranbury, New Jersey, USA. They are

2"
deep, molded plastic trays with removable grid tops. Found them at a local
orchid store. I like the grid tops better than gravel, because they don't
get crudded up with mineral scale.
Saw a suggestion for a similar set-up, using plastic "egg crate" intended
for fluorescent lighting, which can be cut to fit trays of any sort.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Nikon Coolpix 5700
(To reply by e-mail, remove appendix)

I have similar sounding ones from
http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/ca...ategoryId=291,
this catalog has different sizes.

Diana

Old 19-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Ray

Unless you have a sealed-off, isolated growing area, humidity trays are of
little benefit beyond catching overflow when watering.

Evaporation and the laws of physics want to spread those vaporized water
molecules throughout the enclosed space - be it a room or your whole house.
Add fans or other sources of air movement and any potential gradient is
greatly reduced.

If you are lucky enough to really get a benefit, a combination of
fluorescent light grids and standard nursery trays is far more economical.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"disy" wrote in message
.net...

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/ca...l2Display&Cate

From: "M&M"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:07:46 +1000

Hi I am wanting to set up a humidity tray for my orchids which are

positioed
on a bench below a skylight in my bedroom. I need a tray about the

size
35cm * 80cms to asccom approx 8-9 plants. Does anyone have any ideas

on
what I can get to use about this size, I haven't noticed anything this

big
in the garden centres.

Thanks.

Pizza Dough trays = humidity trays alpickrel Orchids 3 11-09-2009 07:15 PM
Can scale live in humidity trays? Sarah Orchids 5 01-11-2004 03:23 AM
[IBC] Humidity Trays [email protected] Bonsai 0 06-07-2004 03:03 PM
Humidity trays M&M Orchids 0 18-08-2003 02:41 AM
Humidity trays M&M Orchids 0 18-08-2003 02:38 AM