Old 24-08-2003, 10:32 PM
DKafkewitz

Default mokara in spike: when to bring indoors?

We have a Mokara growing all summer in full sun in NJ. It has now initiated two
spikes. When is the best time to bring it back into our greenhouse where it
will get less light than its outdoor position ?

I ask this because last summer we waited until the buds were well developed on
one spike and partially developed on a second spike and then brought the plant
in. The younger spike aborted all its buds and the first spike lost some of its
youngest buds as well. So we did it wrong !

Any advice would be welcomed.

David
Old 25-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Ray

I would let it bloom outdoor, then bring it in.

A lot of plants don't like the conditions changing while trying to bloom.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 26-08-2003, 09:22 PM
DKafkewitz

Ray: Thanks for the answer, but I am afraid the climate won't cooperate. Here
in Northern NJ we have already had night temperatures in the high 40s. Mokaras
are, as I understand, warm growers and I am afraid a cold blast at night will
finish off the buds.

I guess the real question I am asking is which is least likely to abort from a
change in growing condtions: a develvoping spike with no buds yet formed, or
developing buds ?

David

Old 27-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Ray

David,

I have a flowering renanthera outside and it has handled the temperature
drop quite well! (Of course, it's probably a bit warmer down here in the
Philly area)

My experience is that pre-bud is a better time to move, although it might
discourage the plant from budding. If you change the conditions drastically
while in-bud, they are likely to blast.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"DKafkewitz" wrote in message
Ray: Thanks for the answer, but I am afraid the climate won't cooperate.

Here
in Northern NJ we have already had night temperatures in the high 40s.

Mokaras
are, as I understand, warm growers and I am afraid a cold blast at night

will
finish off the buds.

I guess the real question I am asking is which is least likely to abort

from a
change in growing condtions: a develvoping spike with no buds yet formed,

or
developing buds ?

David

Bring fish indoors or not? john royce Ponds (moderated) 4 15-08-2009 01:45 PM
Treating houseplants before bring them indoors Phisherman[_1_] Gardening 11 16-10-2007 06:34 PM
Mokara Salaya Red Gene Schurg Orchids 6 24-08-2006 09:27 PM
Spider Plants outside, when to bring indoors? pandy United Kingdom 0 06-09-2005 12:21 PM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM