GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Curious behavioour of a nobile type dendrobum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/41456-curious-behavioour-nobile-type-dendrobum.html)

Ted Byers 27-08-2003 03:03 AM

Curious behavioour of a nobile type dendrobum

I have one nobile type dendrobium that is behaving strangely (or at least
differently from the other two in my possession).

It has produced one keiki and two inflorescences; one from the top node of
each of the two new canes. I have not reduced the watering or given it a
cool period, both of which I thought these things needed to bloom. And new
leaves are still developing from the tops of these canes.

Has anyone seen nobile type dendrobiums do this before?

Cheers,

Ted

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 27-08-2003 08:42 PM

Curious behavioour of a nobile type dendrobum

The dendrobium nobile hybrid that I have blooms without rest or a cooler
period. And I believe it's not that unusual. Also I tought it was very
common for this type of plant to make keiki's too.
I would say congratulations, you're about to become a parent.
Cheers
Peter

"Ted Byers" schreef in bericht
.. .

Diana Kulaga 27-08-2003 09:32 PM

Curious behavioour of a nobile type dendrobum

Ted,

I have Nobiles that are throwing off kids like crazy. They are still in
"grow" mode. I give them a dry rest from late November or early December
(whenever they start to appear dormant) until they resume growth, about 3
months.

Diana

MLL 28-08-2003 10:02 AM

Curious behavioour of a nobile type dendrobum

I have two Dens and the nobile is busy making keikes and has new
growth at the bottom. Maybe its not us but that fact that they were
pushed to bloom for marketing. I intend to follow the dry period
later this year and hope that it will come back into a normal cycle.

MLL