Old 28-08-2003, 12:12 PM
DavidandAllision

Default Horticultural Vermiculite = Industrial Vermiculite

I've been looking for a local source for coarse vermiculite. I came across some
industrial grade coarse vermiculite used for packaging / mailing liquids. It
Meets ICAA & IATA hazardous material requirements. Whatever that means. What do
you think?
Old 28-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Ray

Vermiculite is a flat-layered mineral akin to mica. It is heated to drive
off the water molecules that bind the layers, and when they're gone, the
stuff expands to the form we know.

If the stuff has no additives that are detrimental to plants, I cannot see
why it wouldn't be OK.

Personally, I don't like it in orchid media, as with time the water
molecules bid the layers again, causing the stuff to compact.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 29-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

It may also have too basic a pH....I have heard that about industrial
vermiculite. Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Old 29-08-2003, 03:42 PM
DavidandAllision

I finally received the MSDS product sheet and from what I can read seems like
everyday vermiculite. I think I'll give it a try.

http://www.uline.com/pdf/MS-3327.PDF
Old 29-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Ray

It might not hurt to soak some in an excess of water overnight and measure
the pH before using it, just to be safe.