Old 01-09-2003, 07:04 AM
gardenjan

Default Fluorescent lighting

My Cattleya (mini), and Phalaenopsis do not get enough light to flower.
They both grow new leaves and roots. I want to try fluorescent lighting.
Any suggestions on types of fluorescent light bulbs, wattage, and hours a
day needed for encouraging flowering.
All replies appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 01:46:09 -0400, gardenjan wrote:

My Cattleya (mini), and Phalaenopsis do not get enough light to flower.
They both grow new leaves and roots. I want to try fluorescent lighting.
Any suggestions on types of fluorescent light bulbs, wattage, and hours a
day needed for encouraging flowering. All replies appreciated. Thanks.

All you need is regular tubes, the so called "special" tubes are not
needed. I'll let more experienced Orchid folks answer the rest since I'm
kind of a newbie.Started growing them last November. They are still alive!

Tom
Old 01-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Ray

Before you go investing in fluorescent fixtures, why not describe why you
think your plants aren't getting sufficient light. There are more things
than just light that affect blooming, and the phal should be pretty good
about fairly low light levels.

If you do decide to go with lights, don't bother to buy one of those cheapie
2-bulb fixtures. The ballast will die in short order. You're better off
with a quality fixture, and one with an electronic ballast will be quieter,
last longer, and will waste less energy generating heat.

FWIW, I prefer the GE "Sunlight" bulbs, as they have a broad spectrum and
are only a buck or two more than ordinary cool whites.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 01-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Itsasecret

I agree. I think it is more important to provide enough hours of light at
an appropriate distance. However, I grow only seedlings under fluorescent
lights, the rest I grow under HID.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:22 PM
gardenjan

Thanks everyone for your responses. I believe my plants are not getting
enough light due to the way light comes into the windows. The windows face
east on one side and west ( of course) on the other, but not directly. The
orchids get the east sun in the a.m. but only for a few hours. I have read
articles from the S.F. Orchid Show, Rod McClellan (sp?) and a few books I
have on growing Orchids as well as checking some websites. I'm following
the information given on watering and temperature. I've checked the light
at different times of the day with a light meter.

Ray, you recommend a quality fixture with an electronic ballast. You also
recommend the GE "Sunlight" bulb. Would you reply with information on the
brand of the fixture you recommend and sources where these items can be
purchase.

Thanks again for your help.
"Ray" wrote in message
Before you go investing in fluorescent fixtures, why not describe why you
think your plants aren't getting sufficient light. There are more things
than just light that affect blooming, and the phal should be pretty good
about fairly low light levels.

If you do decide to go with lights, don't bother to buy one of those

cheapie
2-bulb fixtures. The ballast will die in short order. You're better off
with a quality fixture, and one with an electronic ballast will be

quieter,
last longer, and will waste less energy generating heat.

FWIW, I prefer the GE "Sunlight" bulbs, as they have a broad spectrum and
are only a buck or two more than ordinary cool whites.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 01-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Ray

I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs ought to
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 PM
gardenjan

Am using Wonderlizer High Bloom 6-25-25. Watering without the fertilizer.
Using the fertilizer (about 1/8th teaspoon) in sprayer bottle full of water
and misting with the water bottle in the a.m. daily. Otherwise, use Schultz
Orchid food 19-31-17 and use once monthly when watering ( haven't used the
Schultz since January this year).
Thanks again.
"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs ought to
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 01-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Ray

I suspect that your plants could use some food!

Foliar feeding is not an important nutritional pathway for many orchids,
including phals.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to

wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs ought

be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 02-09-2003, 12:02 AM
gardenjan

I don't want to overdo it on the food and end up killing them. The phal has
been growing leaves and roots, just not flowers.

"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to

wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs

ought
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 02-09-2003, 01:12 AM
Ray

Flowering is an extremely energy-intensive activity. It IS, after all, a
plant's expression of its sexuality, and I imagine most of us know how
energy intensive that is!

Commercial plant foods are calculated to be used periodically, for the most
part, at label strength. I prefer to feed regularly, so use a fraction of
the recommended concentration at every watering. Most commercial
phalaenopsis growers (with good light and other conditions) use about
200-250 ppm nitrogen when they feed. I use 150. Your use of 1/8
teaspoon/gallon of 6-25-25 amounts to about 10 parts per million. The fact
that phals are CAM (crassulacean acid metabolism) plants, says that they are
absorbing practically nothing via foliar feeding, as their stomata are
really only open at night. In other words, your foliar feeding is doing
essentially nothing other than depositing salts on the leaves.

The fact that you're feeding every now and then via the roots is good, but
likely not nearly enough. Since January????

I would strongly recommend stopping with the foliar feeding, misting with
pure water only. AND...start feeding your plants regularly with the Schultz
stuff. A 19-31-17 formula provides about 250 ppm nitrogen per teaspoon used
per gallon of water. With your conditions, 1/2 or even 1/4 of that would be
a binge for the plants.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
.net...

"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to

wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs

ought
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

. . . . . . . . . .

..

Old 02-09-2003, 05:22 AM
Cecil Kimber

A trick I learned from Alan Koch at Gold Country Orchids is to once a month
give a foliar feed feeding of Ironex and Seaweed Extract. This provides
micronutrients the plants sometimes need. I have a Den cuthbertsonii that
was a real bugger to get started flowering now it starts flowering right on
schedule and I've got to pull the buds off to give it a rest or the little
guy would be in bloom 12 months a year! This may not be your problem but it
was mine.
I disagree on the foliar transportation of nutrients. It just needs to
be in the correct form. Complex organics seem to be more helpful here (i.e.
fish emulsion, etc.). Many orchids, but especially Phals. use a unique
metabolic process called CAM (Crassulacean Acid Metabolism). It's a way to
conserve moisture. The stomata are closed all day to conserve moisture.
They store CO2 at night in the form of carbolic acid. During the day they
release the CO2 from the acid solution to photosynthesize. It's even more
complex than the Kreb cycle.
If you apply foliar feed in the day the stomata are closed and cannot
take it up. The trick is to apply the feed in the evening as it is getting
dark. You must be careful to apply it to the under side of the leaf only.
I use a 1 inch paint brush (sponge type) rather than a spray. It is tedious
but it keeps the crown dry and puts the feed where it's needed, when it's
needed. You must be sure you have good air movement during the evening
hours as well. Good luck.

"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to

wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs

ought
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 02-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Ray

Well, Cecil, it looks like you and I don't really disagree!

As phals are CAM plants, daytime foliar feeding is likely to do little for
the plants through that route. Spraying them at night is often a perfect
formula for crown rot and the fostering of fungal invasions.

Foliar feeding via a paint brush in the under sides of the leaves may be the
way around that, but in my opinion, is highly impractical for folks with a
substantial number of plants.

There's another factor to consider for folks who do "foliar feed" in
daylight hours: most do so (borrowing a phrase from a private email on the
subject) by making "three or four passes over the table, after he waters."
That is perceived by them as foliar feeding. In reality, they're just
wetting down the plants and the fertilizer is splashing into the pots, where
it can be absorbed by the root system. Maybe there is a slight bit of
foliar uptake, but as I originally said, it's likely to be minimal

.. . . . . . . . . . .

"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have to

wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs

ought
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

Old 02-09-2003, 03:02 PM
gardenjan

Okay. I am not an expert with orchids. I am looking for the best way to
take care of the few plants I have. Information that people have on this
board that helps me accomplish that goal is appreciated.
"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

.net...

"Ray" wrote in message
I still think the phal ought to be getting enough light, so have

wonder
what else is going on. What kind of fertilizer do you use?

I cannot recommend a brand on the fixture, but they and the bulbs

ought
be available at most Sears, Lowes, or Home Depots.

. . . . . . . . . . .
et...

.

Old 02-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 05:45:30 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

it can be absorbed by the root system. Maybe there is a slight bit of
foliar uptake, but as I originally said, it's likely to be minimal

One piece everyone has agreed ed on is that the plants need to
feed. We fertilize every week in the gh. Under lights you need
to do it "lightly lightly" because your plants are getting less
light. But still need food.
Misting does not raise humidity or feed, it just makes you feel
better because you have "helped" your plant. The humidity will
rise if you group plants of all types together. But with a
light lover and a Phal you need to be careful of the different
light needs of your plants.

We have been concentrating on your desire for more light and our
perceived need for you to fertilize. No one has asked if you
have the temp. shift from day to night that is necessary for a
Phal to set spike.
SuE