Old 07-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Shell91

Default Newbie Question

What is a good orchid for a newbie to try? I need one that will do well in
a fairly cool house since we keep our house around 65 - 68 degrees all the
time. I read somewhere that the bathroom was a good place to keep orchids
because of the humidity there, is this true? I have a wonderfull spot for a
plant next to my guppy tank, would this be enough humidity for an orchid? I
don't know too much about orchids but I would like to se if I could grow
one.

Shell

Old 07-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Diana Kulaga

Shell,

How much natural light can you give a plant? There are lots of cool to
intermediate growing orchids (Zygopetalums come to mind, as well as
Cymbidiums and others), but it would help to know more about your
conditions.

Diana

. ..

Old 07-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Shell91

We have pretty good natural light most days. The environment would probably
be a lot like a shady or semi shady area. We have sliding glass door in
the den and the blinds are almost always open from fairly early to just
after dark. The door faces southeast. We also have a glass storm door on
the front door and get a lot of sun there since it faces northwest. The
guppy tank is situated between the sliding door and the front door so it is
possible for it to get sunlight all day. It would not be direct sunlight
though.

Shell

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Shell,

How much natural light can you give a plant? There are lots of cool to
intermediate growing orchids (Zygopetalums come to mind, as well as
Cymbidiums and others), but it would help to know more about your
conditions.

Diana

. ..

Old 08-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Sounds like cattleyas might be a good starting plant. They like a lot of
light, can grow with lower humidity, don't know what influence the guppy
tank will have.
Dendrobiums could also be a way to go.
Cheers
Peter

"Shell91" schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

. ..

[IBC] Newbie question Jim Lewis Bonsai 7 03-09-2003 02:42 AM
Newbie Potato Tire Question Richard Lovering Edible Gardening 5 27-07-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 08:20 AM
Repotting- Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 0 30-03-2003 03:32 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 08:53 PM