GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stanhopia Oculata Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/43236-stanhopia-oculata-question.html)

Shell91 16-09-2003 11:02 PM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

I have just gotten a Stanhopia oculata on eBay. I have been doing some
reearch on the web but I can't find anything on how old a plant has to be to
flower. Is it like most and needs to be several years old?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=42 218&rd=1

This is the page for the auction. Any opinions on the plant?

Shell

Diane Mancino 17-09-2003 02:42 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

how ironic Shell-I got one of these last week from the same seller. Did you
get anything else from him?

It is a young plant, will need to be in a web pot or wood slat basket-
something that will allow for the flower to spike out the bottom of the pot.
There are several stanhopea growers here- I'm like you, have 2 young plants
and haven't seen a bloom. I do know they like to be kept moist and warm.
Seems to do better with lots of indirect light.
We will see who's blooms first- at least I can tell you to find a net pot
that is the same size- overpotting to big set my first plant back, and be
careful of the new growths.

y.com...

Wendy 17-09-2003 03:11 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at least twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you have to
put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96 & first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
y.com...

Diane Mancino 17-09-2003 03:11 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Gee Wendy, that's real comforting- till then, the mesh pot sides are good
for hanging other orchids that WILL bloom in my lifetime. Seedlings are not
cheap when you think of how long you need to wait while giving them constant
care.

Diane

"Wendy" wrote in message
Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at least twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you have to
put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96 & first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
y.com...

Shell91 17-09-2003 04:37 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Haven't bought anything else from him yet. Usually I buy something small
from someone I'm dealing with for the first time then if it works out I'll
buy something else. I'm going to try and rig something to hang a nice
basket from so I can put the orchid with the others. I'm willing to be
patient and wait for it to bloom as long as I can keep it alive :)
Hopefully it won't be one that needs to be 5 years old before it decides to
bloom. The pot this one is in looks to be about a 3" pot so I shouldn't
have any problem finding a small basket for it. Thanks for the tip on over
potting, I'll be sure to get something as close to the same size as
possible.

Shell

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
.. .
how ironic Shell-I got one of these last week from the same seller. Did

you
get anything else from him?

It is a young plant, will need to be in a web pot or wood slat basket-
something that will allow for the flower to spike out the bottom of the

pot.
There are several stanhopea growers here- I'm like you, have 2 young

plants
and haven't seen a bloom. I do know they like to be kept moist and warm.
Seems to do better with lots of indirect light.
We will see who's blooms first- at least I can tell you to find a net pot
that is the same size- overpotting to big set my first plant back, and be
careful of the new growths.

y.com...

Shell91 17-09-2003 04:37 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

I'm checking on basket possibilities and hanging methods :) Hope I can keep
it alive long enough to bloom :)

Shell

"Wendy" wrote in message
Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at least twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you have to
put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96 & first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
y.com...

Boystrup Pb, ann,... 17-09-2003 10:42 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

My experience,yet not that big, brings me to the conclusion it's not that
hard to keep some of them alive. In a basket I've found they need to be
watered more than plants in pot. I use chikkenwire for the baskets. Easy to
find and easy to work with, I can use them again and if I want to sterilize
them I just boil them in water.
Cheers
Peter

"Shell91" schreef in bericht
.com...

"Wendy" wrote in message
Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at least

twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you have to
put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96 & first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
y.com...

Shell91 17-09-2003 06:02 PM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Thanks for the idea :) I was looking into galvanized mesh but I think the
holes would be too small. Chicken wire I can get just about anywhere here.

Shell

.be...

"Wendy" wrote in message
Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at least

twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you have to
put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96 &

first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
y.com...

Shell91 18-09-2003 02:22 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Thanks for the tips. I have been looking at the Houston Orchid Society
pages. I wonder what would happen if I coated the chicken wire with some of
that plastic stuff they sell to coeat tool handles...hmmm, sounds like its
experimenmt time :)

Shell

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
. ..
I have some research links here on Stanhopeas, Shell. I had never seen a
stanhopea before- they are rare at shows also because the blooms only last

few days ( after all that waiting).
http://houstonorchidsociety.org/Stan...eCulture.html. I did

lot of research on my stanhopea ass. due to it being one of the most
expensive seedlings I had bought at that time.

449 pictures of stanhopeas! cool! google search and clicked on image
searchhttp://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=stanhopea

I put it in a large wire basket, then a small wire basket because it was
over potted- it dropped most of its leaves & it played dead till I brought
it outside and hung it in indirect light where I could water it a lot and

it
got a lot of warm rain.

A net pot is cheap and I think prettier than chicken wire that will rust
from the moisture. You can find net pots and the wood baskets here- I use
this supply source- they are cheaper than my local garden shop
http://www.kkorchid.com/

y.com...

"Wendy" wrote in message
Shell, looking at the photo, if it is a 4" pot, I would say at

least
twice
that size.
You do know that the flower spikes come out the bottom so you have

put it in a basket. There are wooden slatted teak baskets in

differant
sizes.
You could use a plastice net basket until it gets bigger I guess.
My plant was probably two may three times as big, got it in '96 &

first
blooms were
in 2001.
Cheers Wendy
y.com...

Diane Mancino 18-09-2003 08:32 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

her are some good full size views of mature stanhopeas-and different
potting options.
http://orchid-society-gb.com/Stanhop...a_P6290036.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...UTF-8%26sa%3DN

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...chids/Stanhope
a/nigroviolacea.htm&h=448&w=336&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstanhopea%26start%3D60%26
svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

P.J. Bloodworth 23-09-2003 01:36 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

I obtained a small Stanhopea oculata seedling from Oak Hill in 5/02 for a
very reasonable $4.00. At that time, the longest leaf blade, not including
the petiole, was 5" atop a pseudobulb about 1/2" in diameter. I placed it in
a 10" wire basket in pure sphagnum moss. Since that time, it has grown
steadily longer leaves (5", 7", 6",11") on a single lead. The largest
pseudobulb is now 1" in diameter. To my amazement, I saw a spike this
morning protruding from the bottom of the basket! If this is any indication,
your wait may not be so long.

Jeff

y.com...

Diane Mancino 23-09-2003 04:08 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Hi Jeff, what conditions are you growing in, feeding etc. - what ever your
doing I need to try it
"P.J. Bloodworth" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I obtained a small Stanhopea oculata seedling from Oak Hill in 5/02 for a
very reasonable $4.00. At that time, the longest leaf blade, not including
the petiole, was 5" atop a pseudobulb about 1/2" in diameter. I placed it

in
a 10" wire basket in pure sphagnum moss. Since that time, it has grown
steadily longer leaves (5", 7", 6",11") on a single lead. The largest
pseudobulb is now 1" in diameter. To my amazement, I saw a spike this
morning protruding from the bottom of the basket! If this is any

indication,
your wait may not be so long.

Jeff

y.com...

Wendy 23-09-2003 04:08 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Yes Jeff, whatever you are doing, don't change a thing. I think my Stans are
in dire need
of a change of sphagnum moss.
Cheers Wendy
"P.J. Bloodworth" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I obtained a small Stanhopea oculata seedling from Oak Hill in 5/02 for a
very reasonable $4.00. At that time, the longest leaf blade, not including
the petiole, was 5" atop a pseudobulb about 1/2" in diameter. I placed it

in
a 10" wire basket in pure sphagnum moss. Since that time, it has grown
steadily longer leaves (5", 7", 6",11") on a single lead. The largest
pseudobulb is now 1" in diameter. To my amazement, I saw a spike this
morning protruding from the bottom of the basket! If this is any

indication,
your wait may not be so long.

Jeff

y.com...

P.J. Bloodworth 23-09-2003 05:02 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

Hi Diane,
I am in humid central North Carolina, and have been growing the plant in an
enclosure under a single layer of gray triple-wall polycarbonate, which I
have found cuts out about 50% of the ambient light. It is up in the section
where structural members give a little more of an intermittent shading
effect. At any rate, I have observed no burning of the foliage, which
supports the notion that they can tolerate and may prosper in a near
Cattleya-like light regime. In R.O. water, I use Grow More 20-10-20 @ 1/2
tsp gal during spring, bumping it up to 1 tsp/gal during the summer at every
watering about once a week. No adjustments of pH have been necessary.
Between watering/fertilizing events, which consist of dunking the entire
basket into a reservoir of the fertilizer solution, I heavily mist the
plants w/ R.O. water once a day in the morning if the surface of the medium
appears dry. This has encouraged the proliferation of live sphagnum moss
(that probably came with the seedling) over most of the surface of the
medium. Several weeks ago, when the ambient temperatures backed off, I began
using Grow More 6-30-30 (Bloom Formula) @ 1/2 tsp/gal. During the winter,
the minimum temperature in the enclosure is about 57-58 F.

Good luck,

Jeff

"Diane Mancino" wrote in message
t...
[...]

y.com...

Diane Mancino 23-09-2003 08:18 AM

Stanhopia Oculata Question

haha, Jeff I'm reading this at 2am (heartburn), I got everything but "the
triple-wall polycarbonate". Sounds like it's in a greenhouse. Very different
conditions here in New England, but stanhopeas are grown here. I have the
same seedling that Shell has- These only have 4 -6 leaves in a 3" net pot.
You think it could spike at that size?

I agree with adding more light, mine perked up when I put it outside- I
might need to conceder a grow light since I've put mine inside for the
winter...unless it would like a chill.

I saw a halogen plant light at Wal-Mart- anyone use halogens? Looked like a
good idea for a tight space.

[...]

y.com...